General June Weather

Archive of NZ Weather and Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tornado

Re: General June Weather

Unread post by tornado »

a few heavy showers in auckland today. enough to make the ground wet
Cyclone Tracy

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

My 2 cents worth

Keep a close watch on subtropics in the last week of June as the MJO phase is nearby. Medium term modelling has been volatile in the last week and shorter term modelling is starting to throw up an upper cold pool of air cutting off from the westerly belt in the northern Tasman, spawning a cyclonic subtropical gyre towards the end of June.

Polar vortex structure is strong, no sign of a significant weakening at this stage. The surface temperatures on the Antarctic continent are now becoming brutal. Be prepared for a significant cold snap in July once the polar vortex moves into a weakening phase, propagating the polar jet more equatorward.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Cyclone Tracy wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 11:26 Be prepared for a significant cold snap in July once the polar vortex moves into a weakening phase, propagating the polar jet more equatorward.
Longer term outlook is suggesting this will manifest as a large, slow moving or blocked high pressure zone over/around NZ.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

TonyT wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 16:52
Cyclone Tracy wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 11:26 Be prepared for a significant cold snap in July once the polar vortex moves into a weakening phase, propagating the polar jet more equatorward.
Longer term outlook is suggesting this will manifest as a large, slow moving or blocked high pressure zone over/around NZ.
If just west of NZ this high would enhance any cold fronts moving through and if it was directly over New Zealand the high would mean mild days, cold frosty nights and dry weather - is that right Tony?
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Bradley wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 17:03
TonyT wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 16:52

If just west of NZ this high would enhance any cold fronts moving through and if it was directly over New Zealand the high would mean mild days, cold frosty nights and dry weather - is that right Tony?
Correct. Expect an overall drier and colder next six weeks, perhaps more southwesterly in the first half (anticyclones to the west), and tending light easterly in the second half (anticyclones blocking east of the South Island).
talbotmj15

Unread post by talbotmj15 »

Time will tell i guess. Given the predictions of a big snow a couple of weeks ago that didnt eventuate and to the overeaction point a thread was even started for a second major storm. im now abit reluctant to say the next 6 weeks will be dry. Could be wrong but from my experience i would expect a decent cold front or 2 in the next 6 weeks that sees snow to low levels. It is winter after all.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

talbotmj15 wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 18:47 Time will tell i guess. Given the predictions of a big snow a couple of weeks ago that didnt eventuate and to the overeaction point a thread was even started for a second major storm. im now abit reluctant to say the next 6 weeks will be dry. Could be wrong but from my experience i would expect a decent cold front or 2 in the next 6 weeks that sees snow to low levels. It is winter after all.
There was a second major winter storm though, just as the subject Tony created suggested, it just wasn’t in Canterbury but the title never suggested that it would be Canterbury?
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

talbotmj15 wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 18:47 Could be wrong but from my experience i would expect a decent cold front or 2 in the next 6 weeks that sees snow to low levels. It is winter after all.
And I would say thats pretty likely too (first week of July is the most likely time), for the same reason - its what we expect most winters and it would be unusual if it didnt happen, especially in a period when more southerly quarter airflow is expected than usual. Its just that I'm suggesting we won't get a 2-3 week period of continual active fronts, but plenty of dry periods instead.
SirSlingy

Unread post by SirSlingy »

Bradley wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 19:12
talbotmj15 wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 18:47 Time will tell i guess. Given the predictions of a big snow a couple of weeks ago that didnt eventuate and to the overeaction point a thread was even started for a second major storm. im now abit reluctant to say the next 6 weeks will be dry. Could be wrong but from my experience i would expect a decent cold front or 2 in the next 6 weeks that sees snow to low levels. It is winter after all.
There was a second major winter storm though, just as the subject Tony created suggested, it just wasn’t in Canterbury but the title never suggested that it would be Canterbury?
So true. This can tend to be a Canterbury storm centric forum at times!
snowchaser01

Unread post by snowchaser01 »

SirSlingy wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 20:23

So true. This can tend to be a Canterbury storm centric forum at times!
That is because a lot of the active posters on here are from Canterbury...?
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9rslfDkfWR3X6Spw5b5yA
snowchaser01

Unread post by snowchaser01 »

On a different note, GFS is showing a significant cold blast for the 22nd... only 4 days away. been in the models for a while now too
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9rslfDkfWR3X6Spw5b5yA
talbotmj15

Unread post by talbotmj15 »

Given the nature of the second storm was all about snow i believe it was targeted around Canterbury. It just never arrived. I digress anyway. Good frosts brewing tonight. Could be coldest night this year in sheffield. Already well below 0.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

the second storm was actually the Auckland storm on Wednesday 5 june. and the northland tornado
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

talbotmj15 wrote: Tue 18/06/2019 22:08 Could be coldest night this year in sheffield. Already well below 0.
Down to minus 2 here at the moment so it will be interesting to see what it be at dawn when I go out collect the newspaper. Apart from this WE, it looks quite anticyclonic to finish off this month of June, so more frosts are likely?
JohnGaul
NZThS
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

If I was a ski field operator in Canterbury I would be starting to get nervous
Christchurch Rocks
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

I am starting to see a prolonged and very frosty period from about next Tuesday through to the weekend for the south island, after another cold front clears out on Monday/early Tuesday a pool of cold air will be left over the top of us to which a very large and slow moving high pressure will slowly drift east over from Australia. Going by this mornings temperatures of -3C at the airport I can easily see 3 or 4 mornings in a row next week of around -4C or -5C...
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Bradley wrote: Wed 19/06/2019 10:44 I am starting to see a prolonged and very frosty period from about next Tuesday through to the weekend for the south island, after another cold front clears out on Monday/early Tuesday a pool of cold air will be left over the top of us to which a very large and slow moving high pressure will slowly drift east over from Australia. Going by this mornings temperatures of -3C at the airport I can easily see 3 or 4 mornings in a row next week of around -4C or -5C...
Was barely a frost at all in Halswell, last the car out last night and only the barest amount of ice on the windscreen, no scraping required.
Christchurch Rocks
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Razor wrote: Wed 19/06/2019 10:32 If I was a ski field operator in Canterbury I would be starting to get nervous
Yes, I would be too, not looking like any reasonable snow fall for the rest of June. What snow was on the higher mountains inland from here a few weeks ago has largely gone.
Thunder081

Unread post by Thunder081 »

Nice in Lyall Bay, Wellington.Image
Wellington southerly front timelapse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBl3hsuIg2Q
wembley

Unread post by wembley »

Just like that old saying "You can't beat Wellington on a good day".
cbm

Unread post by cbm »

Interesting linear cloud formation this morning. Can confirm it's not fog, it's stratus. Pleased to be West enough to be in the sun for now.Image

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Orion

Unread post by Orion »

Thin high cloud thickening aloft here, which at +1.3°C isn't such a cheery prospect.
Lawn still white.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

A soft Winter here so far. Possibly some heavy showers/hail in the mix over the north of the country Sunday, upper levels are showing cold on Sunday.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

What was the hazy mist that came through the Waikato today through the middle of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tich

Unread post by tich »

Orion wrote: Thu 20/06/2019 10:35 Thin high cloud thickening aloft here, which at +1.3°C isn't such a cheery prospect.
Lawn still white.
High cloud over South Island after frosty start = very cold day. Temps in low single figures in some inalnd areas of SI today. Not that cold in Chch, but still a cold day.