Canterbury Weather Updates outlooks

Archive of NZ Weather and Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
snow101

Canterbury Weather Updates outlooks

Unread post by snow101 »

Not entirely July weather related but...
I did a bit of digging about Canterbury Weather Updates and their false outlooks. It's actually quite bad.

June 8th they posted an announcement that the next 3 weeks would be unsettled with sleety falls to very low levels, and snow about higher sections of the Canterbury Plains.

June 14th they mentioned that late next week (that would 7-10 days after that post) they posted about a possible winter storm, which would bring snow to low levels and widespread rain.

June 18th they continue this forecast, saying widespread rain and snow to low levels coming on the 23rd of June, saying snow is likely about higher villages on the Canterbury Plains - that's the last we ever heard of that event, that Saturday ended up being pretty settled and dry!

June 27th they said that the next 2 weeks would feature cold weather, widespread rain and possible snow to low levels.

July 5th, mentioning snow to low levels, possibly even falling down to 200 metres affecting some streets on the port hills (WTF!?) in around 10-12 days time...... That's 240-300 hours away, completely un realistic and very unprofessional to post such a forecast.

July 7th (Today) still continuing on with very cold and air and snow to low levels in around 10 days time (still out and 240+ hours) --- most global models don't even show snow to low levels, and it's not even worth looking into this far away.

What they're doing is obviously all about the money for them, and the reach they can get on there page (which in lead brings in extra Ad Revenue for them).... Very unprofessional :mad: [-X :-k
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: General July Weather

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes. That's why I haven't signed up to become a member on their website. :D
JohnGaul
NZThS
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

snow101 wrote: Sun 07/07/2019 20:02 Not entirely July weather related but...
I did a bit of digging about Canterbury Weather Updates and their false outlooks. It's actually quite bad.

June 8th they posted an announcement that the next 3 weeks would be unsettled with sleety falls to very low levels, and snow about higher sections of the Canterbury Plains.

June 14th they mentioned that late next week (that would 7-10 days after that post) they posted about a possible winter storm, which would bring snow to low levels and widespread rain.

June 18th they continue this forecast, saying widespread rain and snow to low levels coming on the 23rd of June, saying snow is likely about higher villages on the Canterbury Plains - that's the last we ever heard of that event, that Saturday ended up being pretty settled and dry!

June 27th they said that the next 2 weeks would feature cold weather, widespread rain and possible snow to low levels.

July 5th, mentioning snow to low levels, possibly even falling down to 200 metres affecting some streets on the port hills (WTF!?) in around 10-12 days time...... That's 240-300 hours away, completely un realistic and very unprofessional to post such a forecast.

July 7th (Today) still continuing on with very cold and air and snow to low levels in around 10 days time (still out and 240+ hours) --- most global models don't even show snow to low levels, and it's not even worth looking into this far away.

What they're doing is obviously all about the money for them, and the reach they can get on there page (which in lead brings in extra Ad Revenue for them).... Very unprofessional :mad: [-X :-k
Wow I didn’t realise it was quite that bad, thanks for doing that research, I’m sure if you go back further there will be numerous other examples of CWU going off one rogue model run more then 10 days in the future and talking about it on their Facebook page. Oh well it’s all a moot point really, their fans don’t seem to care that they keep getting it wrong, they are very popular 0_o
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

And that's without taking into account the posts they delete...
Christchurch Rocks
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

I ended up disliking there FB page last week after asking where did they get the frost temperatures in one of there posts, the temps they were reporting were 3-4 deg colder than what was actual, cant be bothered with bullshit like that.
snowchaser01

Unread post by snowchaser01 »

snow101 wrote: Sun 07/07/2019 20:02 Not entirely July weather related but...

Even on their website homepage this morning they are mentioning cold weather with snow to low levers around the 17th to 19th... yesterday they were saying 16th to 18th i believe... they cant just change the dates as it pleases them this far out??
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9rslfDkfWR3X6Spw5b5yA
Growler

Unread post by Growler »

I forecast snow on the 47th of August, I might just start a www and charge people to subscribe to it
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Growler wrote: Mon 08/07/2019 14:32 I forecast snow on the 47th of August, I might just start a www and charge people to subscribe to it
Chuck in a few ridiculous temp as well wont ya ? :D

The next week is looking extremely windy, so double peg the bloomers to the line ladies, more so this weekend
Cantab03

Unread post by Cantab03 »

Hey Guys,

Been off the forum for a few years (previously under CHCH Weather Chaser). Have still been a follower on here. Regarding CWU, I decided to break away late last year, as I didn't agree with the vision and politics behind the company anymore. It was causing a heap of stress and I felt my name was attached to something that really didn't reflect my values. The whole point of the CWU initially was to provide forecasts that were not sensationalized and offered a point of difference, however it has turned into a "click-bait" style and it was something I had numerous arguments about before I left. The reason I say this is I do not want to be viewed or attached to CWU anymore, as I strongly disagree with the vision and process behind it now.

I totally agree with all the comments mentioned previously in this forum and I have not once myself seen anything that reflects everything being mentioned.

Looking into the near future, the drier than winter looks to be continuing with this trend for now....law of averages though? Maybe we might get some action swinging around for the back-half of the season! Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Leighton Thomas
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Cantab03 wrote: Mon 08/07/2019 17:50 Hey Guys,

Been off the forum for a few years (previously under CHCH Weather Chaser). Have still been a follower on here. Regarding CWU, I decided to break away late last year, as I didn't agree with the vision and politics behind the company anymore. It was causing a heap of stress and I felt my name was attached to something that really didn't reflect my values. The whole point of the CWU initially was to provide forecasts that were not sensationalized and offered a point of difference, however it has turned into a "click-bait" style and it was something I had numerous arguments about before I left. The reason I say this is I do not want to be viewed or attached to CWU anymore, as I strongly disagree with the vision and process behind it now.

I totally agree with all the comments mentioned previously in this forum and I have not once myself seen anything that reflects everything being mentioned.

Looking into the near future, the drier than winter looks to be continuing with this trend for now....law of averages though? Maybe we might get some action swinging around for the back-half of the season! Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Leighton Thomas
Thanks for the insight Leighton, it’s a shame but it seems like everyone who gets into business with Russell ends up leaving because of his approach to business, he is young though - hopefully one day he realises there is more to life then money...
snowchaser01

Bradley wrote: Mon 08/07/2019 20:43
Cantab03 wrote: Mon 08/07/2019 17:50 Hey Guys,

Cheers,
Leighton Thomas
Thanks for the insight Leighton, it’s a shame but it seems like everyone who gets into business with Russell ends up leaving because of his approach to business, he is young though - hopefully one day he realises there is more to life then money...
Well that makes at least 2 of us that have left because of business disagreements.... there is one common denominator !
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
melja
Has thanked: 0

Re: Canterbury Weather Updates outlooks

Unread post by melja »

Keep it company related and don't attack individuals.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

snowchaser01

melja wrote: Tue 09/07/2019 05:06 Keep it company related and don't attack individuals.

:rolleyes: :-w
Check me out on Youtube!
snowchaser01

melja wrote: Tue 09/07/2019 05:06 Keep it company related and don't attack individuals.

Yes, the common denominator is CWU (the company). And many people have had run ins with the owner. Not an attack by any stretch of the imagination.
Check me out on Youtube!
midgrove

Unread post by midgrove »

I had a run in with them last year after challenging their headline "severe tropical cyclone expected to make landfall in New Zealand" which was ex tropical cyclone Gita. New Zealand is to far south of tropical waters (ie above 27 deg) needed to sustain a tropical cyclone even during the "oceanic heatwave" and to imply that New Zealand would be hit by a Cat 3 or above tropical cyclone was dangerous scaremongering. No doubt they got lots of click bait hits .
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

We live in a world of click bait trash and Alternative Facts ...
matttbs

Unread post by matttbs »

The whole page is a joke, the dude who runs it is a joke, I don’t care if people think this is an attack on an individual, the company is run by someone therefore someone is to blame. The weather forecast they produce borderline the retarded. Hi everyone by the way, been a while
Auckland & Tauranga
Cantab03

Unread post by Cantab03 »

Yes I should of left even sooner than the end of last year. Put myself through a lot of unnecessary stress and what use to be my passion and love, turned into a chore!! Having had 6 months away now, my passion is back!
Thunder081

Unread post by Thunder081 »

Heyyy CWU, how's the progress orrrr I mean 'negotiations' with metservice going to get rain radar images onto your website? Hahahaha
Last edited by Thunder081 on Wed 10/07/2019 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Wellington southerly front timelapse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBl3hsuIg2Q
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

I've been banned from there for a few years now, mind you Chris Lynch banned me after he called me a precious little stormchaser lol

I probably only look at CWU if im feeling like a pick me up and need some humour :)
Although gotta admit they are good at running a social media page and making click bait, forecasts most definitely are not there first priority.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Thunder081

Unread post by Thunder081 »

03Stormchaser wrote: Tue 09/07/2019 20:15 I've been banned from there for a few years now, mind you Chris Lynch banned me after he called me a precious little stormchaser lol
Chris Lynch from newstalkzb?
Wellington southerly front timelapse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBl3hsuIg2Q
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Thunder081 wrote:
03Stormchaser wrote: Tue 09/07/2019 20:15 I've been banned from there for a few years now, mind you Chris Lynch banned me after he called me a precious little stormchaser lol
Chris Lynch from newstalkzb?
Didn't like being corrected about the difference between a dust devil and tornado Image
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

03Stormchaser wrote: Tue 09/07/2019 20:15 forecasts most definitely are not there first priority.
Accuracy is most definitely are not there first priority either, as long as it sound impressive.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Richard wrote: Wed 10/07/2019 07:35
03Stormchaser wrote: Tue 09/07/2019 20:15 forecasts most definitely are not there first priority.
Accuracy is most definitely are not there first priority either, as long as it sound impressive.
Could say the same about NewsquawkZB .... propaganda and chest-beating comes first.
snowchaser01

Almost like clockwork... CWU's main page summary now has no mention of "low level snow around the 19th". Clickbait at its finest!
Check me out on Youtube!