Thunderstorms for Canterbury Spring/Summer 2011/2012

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Thunderstorms for Canterbury Spring/Summer 2011/2012

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Good photos there Mike. Postings like this will keep this topic alive, I hope.
Some interesting Cu around here today and heavy looking skies. Nothing much happened except for 4 drops that fell at 1144am :rolleyes:
Here are some shots I took arond Mt Tapaenuku around the Christmas period when we were up there. Some may be repeated from the Weather photos section.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Nice pictures John. A place I haven't visited before. You have a nack for holidaying where thunderstorms develop, your trip down to the Wanaka / Queenstown area springs to mind, lol.
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Here's a few pictures from the trip. One place we visited was called Six Mile, a funny little place with it's own power station however it is now not running, just on show. Was interesting.

Cumulus near Springs Junction

Cumulus congestus over the hills, north of Springs Junction

We were wondering if perhaps there might be some slight rotation in the center cloud as shown by the banding here, near Muruia.

Cumulus congestus near Muruia. Thunderstorms developed to the east of here / south of the Nelson Lakes area of course. About an hour or so after this photo was taken however heavy showers developed in this area, if only we hung around! Oh well....

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Wilkinson
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Oh well at least you fella's gave it a go and had a bit of a site seeing tour while you were there..still some lovely photos _b How were the sandflies,ya get bitten much??
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I had sort've forgotten about the photography thread, will put photos in there from now on. Thanks Richard, didn't get any sandfly bites, there were a few of them floating around but I think none of us got any.
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Nice pictures John. A place I haven't visited before. You have a nack for holidaying where thunderstorms develop, your trip down to the Wanaka / Queenstown area springs to mind, lol.
Thankyou. That is my wife sitting there in the first photo.
Yes. That video of the Wanaka thunderstorm was quite interesting especially the bit where you hear me pass wind whilst waiting for a lightning flash - poo #-o [-X [-X :lol: :D
JohnGaul
NZThS