Funnel Cloud in Auckland on 28th, Feb

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
littleheaven
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Funnel Cloud in Auckland on 28th, Feb

Unread post by littleheaven »

Noticed some nice CBs to the East while dropping my son off at school on the North Shore this morning, and when I got home I discover this: http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/p ... orth-shore

Not a very big one but WeatherWatch seems to think there is potential for more as the day warms. Still a cool 17.8 here at the moment, moderately overcast.
Claire
Glenfield, Auckland
spwill

Re: General February Weather

Unread post by spwill »

littleheaven wrote:Noticed some nice CBs to the East while dropping my son off at school on the North Shore this morning, and when I got home I discover this: http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/p ... orth-shore
That will be a waterspout, forming off the warm sea surface relative to the cool upper level conditions , could see those towering Cu over the outer harbour this morning from here, classic waterspout weather given the time of year.

Looking more closely at that photo you can see the spout impacting on the water surface.
littleheaven

spwill wrote:That will be a waterspout, forming off the warm sea surface relative to the cool upper level conditions , could see those towering Cu over the outer harbour this morning from here, classic waterspout weather given the time of year.
They were impressive, for sure. We've had some exciting weather in the last couple of weeks. Maybe it's just that I wasn't paying attention before, but I can't remember the last time there were so many waterspouts and little land-based funnel clouds in Auckland.
Claire
Glenfield, Auckland
tobby921

Funnel Cloud on 28th Feb

Unread post by tobby921 »

Did anyone noticed funnel clouds in Auckland on 28th Feb?

Source - http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6491848 ... r-Auckland
Are you using Search Engine Optimisation to get qualified traffic to your website?
Nev

Re: Funnel Cloud on 28th Feb

Unread post by Nev »

Hi tobby921 and welcome to the forum. :-)

A link (albeit a little vague) and ensuing discussion about that funnel cloud was already posted in the General February Weather thread. However, as you've started this separate thread, I've moved those relevant comments here.
littleheaven

Re: Funnel Cloud in Auckland on 28th, Feb

Sorry for my vague link, Nev! Should I have started a separate thread for an event such as that?
Claire
Glenfield, Auckland
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

littleheaven wrote: I can't remember the last time there were so many waterspouts and little land-based funnel clouds in Auckland.
We have had quite a lot of upper level troughing lately. Recent Auckland Summers have been stable.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

littleheaven wrote:Sorry for my vague link, Nev! Should I have started a separate thread for an event such as that?
Hey Claire. Sorry, what I meant was that, without clicking on the link, I can see how that report may have been missed. Generally speaking though, it's usually a good idea to accompany links with a brief description. ;-)

May not necessarily warrant a separate thread. It really depends on the potential for further discussion. Having said that, unless mods manage to split them into separate threads in time, significant tornado and spout reports have in the past tended to get lost amid pages of much broader thunderstorm discussions.

:D
littleheaven

Ah, okay, thanks. Duly noted :)
Claire
Glenfield, Auckland