Canterbury Thunderstorms for 21st/22nd, maybe 23rd/24th

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

worst hit areas in CHCH were papanui, st albuns, Bryndwr, The Airport didnt get any hail.

Hail were I was lasted a good 20min
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

More great photo's, thanks guys.
Your having a great storm season down there and there looks to be more to come in the long range charts.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Just had a call from my dad who works at the airport and there's a massive TS coming he said.
Apparently there's lots of turrbulance among planes. :shock:
I could see the TS before the black line out there and now there's some nice dark CB's out there hmm what will this TS bring. :?
Cheers ohh yeah and saferics are picking up strikes as well.
JASON TIPPET. 8)
Storm Struck

Shower passed now had some sporadic drops of rain with some hail just on the convergence edge.
Also had the most incredable thunder rumble out to sea wich boomed like a cannon underground didn't see any lightning but wen the big saferics were on the radio thats when I checked it out and heard the boom of thunder.
Storms Still developing now heading up towards Kaikoura now there's another TS coming your way Tony.
Be Intersting to see what happens this afternoon as southerly is now back to NE and its now 18dg which is reasonabally warm still CB's to the SW last time I looked.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Had a shower out at Burwood where I was working, but not heavy. But I could see cbs to the north and west, and the sun is shining, so warming the ground. If we get another thunderstorm in Chch today, it would be 3 days in a row. I can recall 2 days in a row with t'storms, but not 3. (I've been here 10 years)
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

We got a period of heavy rain from the CB but no electrical activity. Looks like there might be more to come...
Storm Struck

Yeah I dont know what you would call that TS out there but it's massive the cloud on the edges are blowing out fast and it's getting dark with strikes every minute on radio.
here's to the TS coming as strikes on tracker seem to be over steven graham and heading towards coast.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Skywatcher »

More like Eyrewell Forest, Jason. If it keeps going it could pass north of the airport .... if the tracker is accurate. There's also something further north that it's not ranging very well.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I flew into Christchurch about 11.30am and first thing I noticed was cb just to the south. Looked a bit threatening with hail. Took a few photos. Anyway in Akaroa at the moment and about to head south for Timaru. :)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Certainly looking dark to the north, and cloud thickening to the west as well. 4PM radar will be interesting.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Its been raining steadily for an hour now, no sign of any electrical activity.
tich

Unread post by tich »

4PM radar will be interesting.
Chch (and Banks Peninsula and mid Canterbury) lies in a corridor of dry weather between rain to the north and southwest.
Storm Struck

Ohh well no TS in the end but really Canty has had it pretty good with TS latly so I can't complain really. Atleast I did get some hail and of course usual rain today so yeah.
Even though From the Tuesdays TS yesterdays TS and todays didn't hit me atleast I heard Thunder three days in a row which is great but that will be broken tomora with cruddy old showers and yeah SW winds :evil: .
Ohh well here's what I managed to get today some pics of the TS as they went through after midday.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storm Struck

And just one more photo this one of another CB separate one from one which hit me this one is looking north.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.