Predicted "Bomb" system 12-14 Oct

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tgsnoopy

Re: Predicted "Bomb" system 12-14 Oct

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

But the alps are more likely to be covered and look more scenic than they would without the recent snowfall. I'm kinda wishing I hadn't commented now.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

One unusual feature of the system over the weekend for this area even though i wasn't here to enjoy it was the thunder&lightning,going by what Jackie was say it was very un-east coast like where T&L always tends happen at the start of a front but this one was four hours after it started raining,more like what western areas of NZ get,she was saying there was three very loud overhead rumbles of which there was signs of it coming.Did anyone happen to notice these on the lightning detectors??
moylanr

Unread post by moylanr »

But the alps are more likely to be covered and look more scenic than they would without the recent snowfall....
They Alps looked majestic in the morning sun yesterday. Hope your American friends get to visit Christchurch in the next couple of days and go punting on the Avon.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Richard wrote:One unusual feature of the system over the weekend for this area even though i wasn't here to enjoy it was the thunder&lightning,going by what Jackie was say it was very un-east coast like where T&L always tends happen at the start of a front but this one was four hours after it started raining,more like what western areas of NZ get,she was saying there was three very loud overhead rumbles of which there was signs of it coming.Did anyone happen to notice these on the lightning detectors??
Richard if you go back you will note mine and Tony's comments, there was about 15 strikes on the tracker within 20 minutes some of which would have been up your way and a few that popped up around Amberley as i heard one of the long rumbles of thunder here.

Im thinking it was something to do with the low as it crossed east of Kaikoura firing up a strong convergence over the foothills, the wind may well have been more Westerly or NW at yours Richard during the morning while on the plains it was a howling and building southerly.
The flow kicked in once the low past east so im thinking thats the trigger, either that or it was because of heavy snow falling down to 400-500m which we sometimes get.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

there was about 15 strikes on the tracker within 20 minutes
It would have been elevated spill over activity from the West Coast I think Jason.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

the low transferred across from the west to the east probably why the unusual flow direction rain,at the time as Brian at awhitu said the wind increased here while the process went on??
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

NZstorm wrote:
there was about 15 strikes on the tracker within 20 minutes
It would have been elevated spill over activity from the West Coast I think Jason.
Except that the strike I saw/heard was nearby - I saw the flash then heard the thunder within 2 sec max, probably less. It had that sharp crack of nearby thunder, not the sort of rumble you tend to get with an elevated strike.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

It had that sharp crack of nearby thunder
Elevated storms do produce CG's/loud thunder as well.

Looking back the 500mb temp was about -20C.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Except there was no thunderstorm activity during that time frame on or through the Alps, normally if its elevated lightning the storms would generally already have been going for some time over the Alps.
The lightning tracker had not plotted any strikes on the west coast they were all in the foothills and slightly further east onto the North Canterbury Plains.
I know the northern west coast did have a moderate risk out but that didnt eventuate to much.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I seem to recall the WWLLN lightning tracker showing activity over Buller/North Westland way tracking east from there mostly over the High Country, some strikes north plains
melja
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by melja »

Westport had a large storm around lunchtime saturday. struck the airport and blew all there runway lights out of the ground.