2004 a year of Extremes!!!

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

2004 a year of Extremes!!!

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Well funny enough another year is almost over a year many New Zealanders may call (4 seasons in mixed up months of the year).
We have all had a taste of the bad weather with heavy rains, floods,snowstorms,hurricane gusts of wind,high seas,tornadoes,hailstorms,thunderstorms and so on it goes.
I have experienced heavy rains to snowfalls in August and strong NW winds to electrical Thunderstorms it's all been felt across the nation no matter where interupting Ferry sailings flights on aeroplanes train delays and cut power to more than 3000 residents across the country.
So we rewind back and start at Febuary to remember what events occured this year and to remember those who died or were injured.
FEBUARY 14TH 2004= A spectacular Thunderstorm lashes Christchurch with lightning heavy rain and hail and a farmer who got struck on the head by a bolt of lightning in south Canterbury.
FEBUARY 15TH 2004= Disruption to ferry sailings over the cook Strait and a fisherman missing after 5-10m swells batterd Wellington. Winds also topped 120kmh in Wellington forcing trees to topple and cutting power to many.
FEBUARY 16TH-17TH 2004= The big fielding flood which left Insurance estimates at $50 million and after the Makino stream and Rangitikei rivers burst thier banks. The worst in 100 years left residents with nothing but soggy homes and flooded streets.
Feb 17th= Th big pour down over Picton left half of Picton flooded and more than 1100 people evacuated as the dam forced to burst.
Finish this on another post and narow it down a little.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I could go on to go back and remeber those events that occured this year but there's been so many.
But the Question remains what will happen in 2005? Will there be a big earhtquake? will there be more massive floods? or will many get trapped on highways through snowstorms during winter?.
A new year ahead that we hope will be safe and less dangerous :D .
Happy new years to you all and I hope you have an enjoyable and safe new years.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

I am sure there will be a lot more **** weather than settled weather :o
Jasestrm wrote:But the Question remains what will happen in 2005? JASON TIPPET.