Reflections on past weather

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jrj
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Reflections on past weather

Unread post by jrj »

Summer's silver lining by Bruce Morris (from the NZ Herald)

A decent argument could be mounted to suggest our memories of endless summers may be clouded by matters which had little to do with the weather, such as whether the new girlfriend was beguiling, the fish were biting, or the surf memorable.

Psychologists don't dismiss the theory that the good times can confuse memories and interfere with our judgment of just how brilliant the weather was in that summer of summers.

And if your golden summer fell when you were aged between 10 and 30, it could be that the warm fuzzies of nostalgia have the better of you.

Dr Maryanne Garry, a senior lecturer in psychology at Victoria University, points to research showing that as we get older we remember our childhoods positively.

The good old days probably weren't as good as we remember them, she says. In general, we have a fondness for experiences that happened between the ages of 10 and 30.

Our favourite songs, favourite movies, and so on usually come from this period. We think the most important world events happened in that period. So, for example, I say it was Vietnam, whereas someone older than I am says World War II, and in 20 years a bunch of people will say Iraq.

That adds weight to the suggestion that faraway summers were not as good as we think they were and that nostalgia is alive and well in sun, rain or wind.

But Garry complicates that picture with the observation that general knowledge tests show we are most accurate about events that happened in that period.

Why this happens is a matter of dispute, she says.

For instance, why do people have such strong memories of things that happened between the ages of 10 to 30?

Her students say it is because life is over after 30, an answer she's not too fond of.

She prefers the notion that it is an important and rapid period of novelty that means we have to learn well to develop well.

Professor Michael Corballis, of Auckland University's psychology department, fondly remembers summer holidays on Kawau when he was in his early to mid-teens.

Asked what the weather was like then, he is inclined to say it was pretty good.

But he wonders how much of that memory is owed to the sense of adventure in travelling from the lower North Island to a Hauraki Gulf island and the wonderful January lifestyle it provided, not to mention the fact that it coincided with an early interest in chasing girls.

Assuming the sun put on a reasonable show and it didn't rain the whole time, would the weather overpower those memories or simply become wrapped up in the whole good-time package?

Corballis says our memories are selective and distorted as a rule, but the forces behind that lack of perfection are often not known.

As for the weather, it does make some sense that people see things as they would like to remember them rather than how they truly were.
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Yes, I certainly remember family camping holidays by the sun and hot beaches... but thinking hard I also remember having to dig many drainage channels around tents so there mustve been some good rain in there somewhere.. Hmm not to mention the odd cyclone blasting the northland cost.. oh well all fun in the end :)
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

i go along with you only remember the good summers...
this summer will not be remembered as a good one, LOL, so far anyway!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
tich

Unread post by tich »

Growing up in Rotorua I vividly remember some 'bad' summers, eg the La Nina one in 1988/89 when it rained alot from the north and northeast, and 1982/83, when strong, cold west or southwest winds continued relentlessly for weeks on end.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

tich wrote:Growing up in Rotorua I vividly remember some 'bad' summers, eg the La Nina one in 1988/89 when it rained alot from the north and northeast, and 1982/83, when strong, cold west or southwest winds continued relentlessly for weeks on end.
Going back further...1975/6 and 1976/7 were poor in many areas, esp. here. 1965/6 was pretty iffy though ending in a warm Feb - but this latter month had some huge downpours, eg 255mm overnight in Whenuapai. In the 50s, 1950/1 was wet in Canterbury thru' end of April, 1951/2 was cold, 1952/3 was unsettled and cold in N Island and east of S Island. 1957/8 summer was embedded in a major El Nino and the country was pounded by stormy W/NW/SW from October to May - major floods in Clutha Nov 57, Hermitage practically washed away over Xmas. Feb was warm and humid with major flood events and 1700+mm rain at Milford. April was quite dry and sunny with SW winds (except Southland) but May had very stormy westerlies, with Cook Strait throwing in a mid-month southerly storm for variety! There was an abrupt change in June/July to much better conditions for the next 18 months. No need to go back further still...
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

eg the La Nina one in 1988/89 when it rained alot from the north and northeast,
i remember that one
we could not get the hay made until the end of february
northland had it real bad
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]