January 5th 2002 (hailstorm)

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

January 5th 2002 (hailstorm)

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I thought id go to the trouble of talking about the hailstorm that I got on this day in 2002. It's a key weather event that has stuck in my head for ages and won't be forgotten.
The day had started off fine with the temperature reaching 21dg the skies were clear until about 10:30am when you could see a big TS rolling in from the south and fast.
So in another 5 minutes the dark gloom hit and a very strange unusal noise like a big windstorm coming on a NW day here in Canterbury.
It didn't take me long to relise it was hail as an intense roar got closer and could be seen on houses down the road from me to the south.
Within 5 seconds of me seing it down the road it hit with intense force the hailstones were the size of jaffas and the roar from it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself talking and so it went on for about 20 minutes with only a few booms of thunder and one flash of sheet lightning.
When it had stopped there was hail everywhere with shredded trees and plants and it left my glasshouse with holes which I will attach a photo of.
As I took off down the street in the cool 10dg it was with firetrucks racing past the nieghbours were mending thier roof as it had caved in and thier lounge was flooded. Others had car windows slighty chipped or the interior dented.
It took 2 and a half hours for the hail to dry then next day it was clean up time for the hailstorm of 2002.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

big size to put holes in roof!
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes the hail was big but I think it's because the plastic roofing was so old and brital from weathering and the sun that it broke very easy.
It's also that older stuff that they used to build glasshouses with but now I have the new more flexable roofing which insurance was on insurance as storm damage.
Funny enough another hailstorm followed a year after but short lived and less damage that was the boxing day storm buster which aim sure many cantabrians will remember.
Cheers
JASON TIPPET.