Cold outbreak July 14-15

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Vertigo
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cold outbreak July 14-15

Unread post by Vertigo »

I was in Ohakune and at Turoa during that weekend. Definitely chilly. Saturday saw the day start well, but blizzard like conditions take over around 12pm on the mountain, leading to closure and a 6 hour queue to get back down.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Looking at the weather stats for Christchurch for July it is almost certain we will break both the hottest maximum and hottest minimum temperatures averages on record over the month. That would be absolutely astounding if both the hottest July maximum and hottest July minimum temperatures were broken on the same month!
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Vertigo wrote:I was in Ohakune and at Turoa during that weekend. Definitely chilly. Saturday saw the day start well, but blizzard like conditions take over around 12pm on the mountain, leading to closure and a 6 hour queue to get back down.
There were problems for some on Whakapapa, I think they should clear the Mnt before the southerly hits, dangerous conditions up on those slopes when a southerly storm hits because the slopes are so exposed.
Vertigo
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Vertigo »

Yep, about 3-5 cars didnt make it down.