Jim's Last Weather Presentation

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Jim's Last Weather Presentation

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Friday night is Jim Hickey's last broadcast on the TVOne's weather report at the end of the news.
From then on, he is a "Gone-burger" :(
I would like to say that I have enjoyed his weather presentation over the years and I think he will be missed.
His form of relaying the information from the MetService people to the media , has been really good, with his unique and quirky style, making watching the weather forecast interesting.
Good luck with your retirement Jim :smile:
JohnGaul
NZThS
Tornado Tim

Re: Jim's Last Weather Presentation

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

From my perspective, no weather presenter since Augie Auer has been up to scratch.
But then again I have high standards when it comes to Weather.

I dont even look at the TV weather now, cant stand how weather presenters seem to contradict themselves with the forecast in terms direction of west to east etc.
Or having completely irrelevant terms thrown in the script such a "school of salmon etc" to depict an area of strong wind.....

I would honestly love for some presenters (bar 1) to come up with the script they read every night without consulting a Meteorologist (which they do every day).
It's quite clear some of them just do it for a Job and don't have a interest in it at all.

The NZ MetSoc hasn't given away the Weather Presenter award in a long time and it prooves my point.

The Weather Presenters we have arnt that impressive atm.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I seldom watch TV weather these days but I have enjoyed Jims weather presentation over the years. :smile:
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Always looked forward to Jim doing the weather growing up so yes he will be missed be me that's for sure!
Aaron Wilkinson
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

All the best with retirement Jim

I enjoyed watching Jim more for the entertainment than the weather information,i will always remember him for telling those who didn't like him using the term 'Dunas' to "harden up"
shovelopikis
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by shovelopikis »

Jim is tops, he is very interested in weather and shows it on screen with his passionate presentations ,,,the worst has to be Karen , always slurring her words, getting confused, and lacks interest/confidence...you can tell she just does it for a job (does anyone get annoyed with her microphone picking up her over salivation between sentences? ) someone pointed that out to me a few months ago now i can never stop hearing it.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

You don't survive long in that job if you don't have plenty of likeability.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

I'm going to miss Jim. Thanks Jim,enjoy your future. Think he is partners in Cafe down Wanganui or the Naki if I recall correctly.
Last edited by tgsnoopy on Wed 17/12/2014 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Hear hear Jim will be missed. It takes a certain personalilty to make that slot fun and interesting to the layperson, and he has achieved that in spades over the years, without it appearing over the top or contrived.

Would love one of those isobaric ties!
Christchurch Rocks
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Jim is a true professional who added lots of personality to the forecast. I agree it will be hard to replace him but I have to admit, I have given up watch TV news now.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Richard wrote:All the best with retirement Jim

I enjoyed watching Jim more for the entertainment than the weather information, I will always remember him for telling those who didn't like him using the term 'Dunas' to "harden up"
Yes, also he was told off for using the opposite term for a "Gone-burger" -- a "come-burger" :crazy:

I understand your issues with TV weather presenters, Tim.
I too, don't really make an issue to watch the TV weather, unless Jim was on, especially in severe weather situations as I would rely on his info rather than the other TV weather presenters.
I came into a bit of a flack years ago when I accused TVNZ of having "Weather Girls" doing the weather.
They told me that Karen Olsen was qualified meteorologist and not just a "Weather Girl" and said I was quite sexist in my accusations. What I was trying to say that there seemed to be more female weather presenters than male ones, basically [-X :-#
JohnGaul
NZThS
Dale
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Dale »

tgsnoopy wrote:I'm going to miss Jim. Thanks Jim,enjoy your future. Think he is partners in Cafe down Wanganui or the Naki if I recall correctly.
New Plymouth AND Queenstown.. also a qualified pilot which just adds to his charm.
Going to miss you Jim..
bpo

Unread post by bpo »

Tornado Tim wrote:Or having completely irrelevant terms thrown in the script such a "school of salmon etc" to depict an area of strong wind......
An LA weather moron recently wrote, "The storms have declared war on the drought."

Some of us fondly remember the time when meteorology was still a science. Ah well, nothing lasts forever...