Q's and A's

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Q's and A's

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

I would suggest when you have jetstream crossing the SI then you will get a better show...i.e for when that reforms on the eastern side
?
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
tich

Unread post by tich »

I wonder how high mountains/ranges have to be to exert a rainshadow effect. I recall at least one heavy rain and widespread flooding event in Canterbury in a southeasterly flow, where Chch (in the lee of BP, with its 600-900m hills) just received moderate rain.

Also, we're all familiar with warm advection heavy snowfalls in inland South Island areas to low levels. I wonder how feasible, even if extremely rare, would be a similar event in the central North Island. I mean not just the central plateau around Ruapehu, but also low lying areas, eg Taumaranui, around Lake Taupo to lake level, and north to Tokoroa and Rotorua. (I'm talking about heavy snow, not just a light dusting)
shovelopikis

Unread post by shovelopikis »

tich wrote:I wonder how high mountains/ranges have to be to exert a rainshadow effect. I recall at least one heavy rain and widespread flooding event in Canterbury in a southeasterly flow, where Chch (in the lee of BP, with its 600-900m hills) just received moderate rain.

Also, we're all familiar with warm advection heavy snowfalls in inland South Island areas to low levels. I wonder how feasible, even if extremely rare, would be a similar event in the central North Island. I mean not just the central plateau around Ruapehu, but also low lying areas, eg Taumaranui, around Lake Taupo to lake level, and north to Tokoroa and Rotorua. (I'm talking about heavy snow, not just a light dusting)

where i was working in south taranaki we had a very very minute rain shadow effect of some hills probably only 100-175masl, it was onl.y knowen localy but it did stop rain in the hawera/eltham area from the west i think if anyones heard of this.
~
also there have been heavy dumpings around western bays lake taupo seldomly over the years (possibly sou west flow with advection from coming over endless ranges of the taranaki back country/and southern king country/ohura(peaks can vary around the 500masl mark)
wife grew up in the back country there around douglas/strathmore and used to get heavy snows every winter growing up- which have now become dustings in recent years (apart from 2011)

but just to add to your question more, i would have guessed more north of main plateau(rotorua/tokoroa/hamilton are too sheltered from the plateau staircasing downwards from taupo and the distance+ continual blocking ranges, and decreasing altitude.

has anyone heard of or know if lake taupo has/or is big enough to cause advection events on a smaller scale of lake michigan does to chicago with temps and snow??? :-k
tich

Unread post by tich »

I'm thinking of the 2009 snowstorm which affected the central plateau and Napier-Taupo highway - it happened in early October, but was still severe and quite low down (I believe to about 400m or so) and the cold wet weather extended further north, with a thick coating on the Kaimai Range. Now imagine if that situation occurred in mid-winter.
Manukau heads obs

Re lake effect snow taupo...
too small by about factor of ten I suggest and is actually a sink hole Ie would suppress convection
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

UV index
Last edited by Dean. on Sun 18/01/2015 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

UV levels in NZ are usually at their highest around mid-spring when the ozone-hole is at its peak.
Captain Salty

Unread post by Captain Salty »

measured at ground level or in weather balloons? I'm pretty sure I burn faster around the solstice
David

Unread post by David »

I have always though the highest UV indices were Dec/Jan
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist

Unread post by Weather Watcher »

Question:
I have a Davis Vantage Vue station which I'm running WeatherLink on Windows 8.1. I'm uploading my data to the WeatherLink network, and I want to keep doing this (I like the little webpage for accessing my data online). I would also like to add the data to the WOW system, and WeatherLink currently can't do this, so I've downloaded and run the Cumulus software, but as some of you will know I can't run WeatherLink and Cumulus at the same time.
Is there any way to either run both software packages at the same time, or is there some other software that will upload to both WeatherLink and WOW simultaneously. I have read the Virtual VP website, and I'm unsure if this will work, particularly as I'm running Windows 8.1 and the latest version of WeatherLink.
Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on what I should do?
Thanks.
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Weather Watcher wrote:Question:
I have a Davis Vantage Vue station which I'm running WeatherLink on Windows 8.1. I'm uploading my data to the WeatherLink network, and I want to keep doing this (I like the little webpage for accessing my data online). I would also like to add the data to the WOW system, and WeatherLink currently can't do this, so I've downloaded and run the Cumulus software, but as some of you will know I can't run WeatherLink and Cumulus at the same time.
Is there any way to either run both software packages at the same time, or is there some other software that will upload to both WeatherLink and WOW simultaneously. I have read the Virtual VP website, and I'm unsure if this will work, particularly as I'm running Windows 8.1 and the latest version of WeatherLink.
Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on what I should do?
Thanks.
Virtual VP is the only way to get what you want..... It `should` work on Windows 8. The only difficulty you may get is getting a freely available signed virtual COM (Serial Port Driver)- some of them you have pay for.
I have got my system running 5+ software packages and works for the most part fine, but on Server 2003.
Give the Trial a go and see how you get on.
I'd be more than happy to help you out if you become stuck.

Welcome to the Davis and Virtual VP world :)
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist

Thanks Tim. I'll give Virtual VP a try.
Manukau heads obs

what type of data logger is it?
USB or IP data logger?

also check out the http://www.weather-display.com software :)
(selfless plug if I may)
(as cumulus (windows version) is not being actively develped anymore (instead is now in a new form that is cross platform) and cumlus , if its a VP2, uses the vp .dll , which users LOOP2, which virtual VP is not able to handle)
David

Unread post by David »

Following on from what Tim said... I use VSPE, a paid-for signed virtual serial port driver, in conjunction with VirtualVP. Using an unsigned drive caused problems for me since it forced me to run Windows 7 in test mode.
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist

Manukau heads obs wrote:what type of data logger is it?
USB or IP data logger?
It's a Davis WeatherLink data logger plugged into a USB port. Both Cumulus and WeatherLink are able to read the data when they run seperately, and when I run Cumulus by itself I'm able to upload data automatically to WOW.

Another option I have is just to wait for the add-on program for WeatherLink to be released (as mentioned in http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/wow.htm) but I have no idea how long this will be. I'll ask around MetService and see if anyone knows.
Weather Watcher
MetService Meteorologist

Thanks for the advice. I have now got VirtualVP running, and am uploading to both the Davis WeatherLink site and MetService Your-Weather.
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Now I have a question with Your Weather . Finally managed to get my Easy weather station operating via Cumulus to upload to the Met Service your weather but my station name is missing .It is loaded against the WOW website and Cumulus programme but does not appear on the Metservice site .Any answers anyone? Runanga , Greymouth
David

Unread post by David »

Chris Raine wrote:Now I have a question with Your Weather . Finally managed to get my Easy weather station operating via Cumulus to upload to the Met Service your weather but my station name is missing .It is loaded against the WOW website and Cumulus programme but does not appear on the Metservice site .Any answers anyone? Runanga , Greymouth
At the moment Metservice have to add it in manually (give them a few days or so).
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Ok thanks I have sent them an email about this