Soundings....

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Arithon
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Soundings....

Unread post by Arithon »

I've been doing some searching on soundings to figure out what they are etc, and came across this site:
http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/nz.html

If you select your options at the top, type in a code of 94998 and hit enter, you get the same station as the above link, but (to me and my limited experience) gives a slightly clearer picture, and even animates it if you want.

Of course, now I gotta figure out how to interpret it ;)

Jon
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

I sometimes use that URL to look at historical skew-t. About 8 years of history available.

A sounding is a temperature/moisture/pressure/wind profile of the atmosphere which is done twice daily. 0000Z and 1200Z. Instrumentation is attached to hydrogen balloon and the balloon can rise to altitudes of over 20000m. The instrument transmits a set of data every minute or so.

A skew-t diagram is a formulated chart in which the results of the sounding are plotted. The temperature and dewpoint readings are plotted on pressure levels. Right hand plotted line on the chart is temperature, left hand is dewpoint temperature which correlates to moisture. .

On a skew-t there is a third line plotted, the Saturated Adiatic Lapse Rate.
This is the profile a parcel of air would take if it were lfted from the surface.
Arithon

Unread post by Arithon »

Ok, cool, keeping up so far.

Now the hard question, can you show how the appropriate skew-plot was interpreted to prediect last weekends impressie hail/lightshow?

Jon
(Learning a bunch)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Unfortunately there is only 3 sites in NZ where skew-t's are plotted. Invercargill, Paraparaumu and Whenuapai, so they don't do one for Chch.

I've saved the midnight (for that night) skew-t's if you want a look at them from Invercargill and Paraparaumu sites.

There is however the READY modeled skew-t's which you can have for Chch, and they have an archived database so you can pluck out certain ones from your previous favourite storms. Here's the midnight one for Chch on the 23rd. I've re-done it at the surface to show the actual temp and dewpoint conditions relative to when the change came through, the ones that come out of the model always seem to under forecast but at times get things right. They do ok for the upper temps though. I've also added the SALR line (grey one).

Actually, just rethinking that. The models in this instance have done ok for the surface temps seen as this is a midnight skew-t and temps were low at that time at the surface, but I can't grab one for 11:00pm just before the storm hit so this one is the closest I can find to represent the conditions. It should represent things pretty good with how I've modified it at the surface though.

I'll post the original skew-t in a post below this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thunder on Wed 27/04/2005 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Here it is, should've saved the above as a GIF, oh well. Here it is anyway!

If you open both attachements you can flick between them in your task bar and it almost looks like a little animation, the other saved as GIF would've made it almost seemless but heh...not bad.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Good stuff Aaron. My thought on the CH skew-t is that the actual airmass was a colder than your chart shows. I'm suggesting 500mb temperature down to -34C. This was verified by both the Invercargill and Paraparam sounding.

For anyone interested in convection and the skew-t, a few more basic notes.

The plotted SALR line is based on surface temperature and dewpoint at time of sounding. This will change as the surface temperature and dewpoint changes. When looking at a skew-t you have to interpret this change.

If the SALR is to the right of the observed temperature plot, the air is unstable. This is because a parcel of air lifted off the surface will always be warmer than its surounding airmass and keep rising.
Typically though, the SALR is to the left of the temperature plot (cooler) so the air is stable.

Conditions that can cause the SALR to become warmer than the observed temperature plot (turn air unstable) are surface heating in summer, increases in surface humdity, and cooling of the upper atmosphere.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

More more more... no seriously, excellent stuff guys. It's good to get an explanation in "your words". Heaps of info out there but it's not always to the point etc.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Good stuff Steven! Some great info there.

At the time of the change I think the upper air was around what the modeled skew-t suggests but yes, later on into the night it got much colder. The next day we still had isolated airmass thunderstorms when the really cold air was over us then leaving in the afternoon.

We can assume LI's of -2 to -3 from my corrected skew-t above, not bad. Of course thats at the 500mb level where LI's are measured, if we wanted to show the LI max at a particular level of our choosing (700mb looks good in this case) we would have -5 to -7 LI's! But that's not how LI's are done so we can't really use that. In a sense this show's how 500mb LI's aren't always reliable but definately something to check.

CAPE would've been around the 1000 mark, maybe 1500 (I'm just guestimating here through looking at previous skew-t's from the past). Hence a really good storm and some good sized hail!!

Even though the skew t shows storm height of around 7km (420mb where the grey line (TAPP line) and the red temp line intersect), which we know is ok for Ts. I'd say they would've pushed up to around 8km in height, maybe 8.5km if updrafts were strong enough.

Here's some more info from Anthony Cornelius's downunderchase.com website which is really usefull:
When an updraft, or a parcel of air that is ascending reaches a stable layer (eg, a cap), it begins to slow down, but it doesn’t stop immediately. A useful analogy that can be used, is the example of a ball rolling down a hill. The steep the decline (the warmer the parcel of air is to its surroundings), the faster the ball will roll down the hill (the faster the parcel of air will ascend). The opposite can occur when a ball rolling down a slope, reaches an incline. What happens when a ball rolling down a slope suddenly reaches an incline? Will it stop immediately? It certainly will not! It’ll roll up the incline and slow down. The steeper the incline, the faster the ball will slow down (the faster a parcel of air will reduce its speed), and if a ball is placed at the bottom of an incline, it simply won’t move at all (a parcel of air will not ascend, therefore is stable).

The small cap that can be seen on the sounding will easily be ‘broken’ from the momentum of air gained from below it, where it’s slightly unstable. Basically, this stable layer is so negligible, that in our rolling ball example, this will be seen as a very small incline on a declining slope. The ball would have been given an opportunity to already gain speed, and will slow down at the incline, but still proceed over the incline, and will travel down the rest of the slope without hinderence. Similarly, our parcel of air that is rising in the atmosphere that this skew-T represents will see this cap as a small hindrance, and will slow down at this point, and continue rising. For this reason, small caps in the lower atmosphere are easily broken – often without any other assistance.
In my post above I was reffering to the TAPP (grey one that curves up) line as the SALR line, sorry! TAPP stands for the "Theoretical Air Parcel Plot" line. The SALR lines are the same looking type of ones that are evenly spaced to the right, un-abbreviated it stands for the "Saturated Adiabatic Lapse Rate" lines.

Bachh! :D

Cheers.
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Just made (modified) the modeled sounding for Oct 27th 2002 when John got his tornado. It's an archived READY one.

LI's of -7!! And CAPE of around 2000 maybe 2500 but no higher. That's some good instability!
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

3cm hail stones certainly suggest some localised high CAPE. :)

Met Service failed to predict that severe weather event though they have improved there convective forecasting considerably since then. I can't see them missing an event like that gain.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

NZstorm wrote:
Met Service failed to predict that severe weather event though they have improved there convective forecasting considerably since then. I can't see them missing an event like that gain.
BlueSkies were onto it especially "WX Girl" who accurately forecasted thunderstorms for that day :D

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

NZstorm wrote:
Blue Skies Weather were onto it especially "WX Girl" on this forum who accuarately forecasted thunderstorms for that day :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

From memory we were discussing the potential for thunder a few days before the event on the old NZ Weather Forum. :)
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
NZstorm wrote:Blue Skies Weather were onto it especially "WX Girl" on this forum who accuarately forecasted thunderstorms for that day :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
I believe that wxgirl is actually TONI MARSH!
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

NZstorm wrote:From memory we were discussing the potential for thunder a few days before the event on the old NZ Weather Forum. :)
If forecasters put out predictions of thunder every time the potential for it was discussed on here every second forecast would be thunderous. :lol:

And Gary, I can assure you, wxgirl is not Toni Marsh. Neither am I.
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

TonyT wrote:And Gary, I can assure you, wxgirl is not Toni Marsh. Neither am I.
You say that, but...
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I can vouch for what Tony is saying.

I've got Toni's actual email address though, well I think I do?... :twisted:

Cheers.
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

For the 23rd April I've now come out with figures of around:

CAPE = 400
LI = 0.6

LI's as I mentioned previously were low due to the nature of this setup so that can be expected.

Maybe the upper air could've been a bit colder at this time? I can't imagine it being much colder though, yes -34 @ 500mb temps did float over the next day but at the time of the change in chch on Sat night I don't think it would've gone below -29/-30 @ 500mb at the most.

All that hail! All that lightning! Hmmm.......If I got figures of what I've just plucked out on this page now a day before hand I would'nt have thought hail could get that big etc, I'm missing something. :-k

I would've said hail though a day before hand definately so that's partly right I guess. \:D/

Cheers.
Aaron Wilkinson
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Ahh! I think I've found that 'missing something', duh. I should know this. SST were around 13 to 14 degrees when this change arrived, that looks a bit better than 9 piddly degrees!

So Li's on the 23rd could've been around -2.5 to -3. I'll have to do some better analysis but it helps to explain a few things.

Cheers.
Aaron Wilkinson