Canterbury Thunderstorms 6th Janauary 2017

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
TonyT

Re: Canterbury Thunderstorms 6th Janauary 2017

Unread post by TonyT »

Some flashes and rumbles here in Amberley in last 15 mins, plus a burst of very heavy rain (not hail) which has now eased back.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Keeping a sharp lookout.
Nothing seen from here.
No substantial sferics on the radio. ?
JohnGaul
NZThS
03Stormchaser

Canterbury Thunderstorms 6th Janauary 2017

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Razor wrote:Lightning over the back of the Port Hills just now. Show ain't over yet!
But it must be over, Facebook told me it was...Image

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Haha! Counted four flashes and relatively distant booms to the SE from here in Cashmere area
Christchurch Rocks
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Active lighting cell passing to the SE of here, lots of flashes
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Nothing observed from here and not much as regarding spherical recordings, so I'm giving this event as a non-event here, despite the promising outlook and isolated reports of lightning and it's associated sound, being recorded in various places around the Canterbury region today..
There were lots of factors which made this a very scattered and not an eventful event due to the NW coming through, with lowering humidity levels and the high surface pressure hindering possible development of fruitful onshore development.
I think there will be other chances this month with better scenarios for good thunderstorm development with the current weather patterns [-X .
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Nothing observed from here and not much as regarding spherical recordings, so I'm giving this event as a non-event here, despite the promising outlook and isolated reports of lightning and it's associated sound, being recorded in various places around the Canterbury region today..
There were lots of factors which made this a very scattered and not an eventful event due to the NW coming through, with lowering humidity levels and the high surface pressure hindering possible development of fruitful onshore development.
I think there will be other chances this month with better scenarios for good thunderstorm development with the current weather patterns [-X .

yes, the air mass too dry yesterday over Canterbury.

Definitely more upper level systems to cross the South Island in the coming weeks given this El Nino style pattern.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Yes what did develop was very isolated indeed, but the storm to my east at about 10.00 last night was certainly up there in terms of activity levels, must have been at least 50+ flashes, a great light show.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Just been talking with a bloke from Greta Valley who reckon that the storm was the best he's seen in the 40 years living there, but whats interesting so little CG's shown on Blitzortung where there were a lot of ground strikes he said.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Richard wrote:Just been talking with a bloke from Greta Valley who reckon that the storm was the best he's seen in the 40 years living there, but whats interesting so little CG's shown on Blitzortung where there were a lot of ground strikes he said.
Use the Lightning trackers as a rough guide at best.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Actually, today looks a better day for thunderstorms than yesterday, with conditions etc. on the surface. 8-o
JohnGaul
NZThS
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Richard wrote:Just been talking with a bloke from Greta Valley who reckon that the storm was the best he's seen in the 40 years living there, but whats interesting so little CG's shown on Blitzortung where there were a lot of ground strikes he said.
One thing with New Zealand Lightning that I have noticed with the data coming back from Blitzortung is that our Lightning especially on Mediocre setups like yesterday is that the amperage from the Lightning strikes is very weak and the the wave that is created doesnt travel much before it cant be picked up at all.
More stations need to be added in NZ if this is to be fixed.

It just the kind of thing that's unique to NZ from other countries, as this problem doesn't exist in the States or Europe where there is a larger landmass and thermal distribution is much greater giving rise to better convection and lapse rates, which then in turn gives stronger lightning waveforms.

But yes as Simon mentioned, Lightning networks should be used as a guide, but they will only get better if more people participate in them.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Actually, today looks a better day for thunderstorms than yesterday, with conditions etc. on the surface. 8-o
Interesting that the Metservice want absolutely nothing to do with thunderstorms for Canterbury today? I wonder whether we are missing something?
Tornado Tim

Bradley wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:Actually, today looks a better day for thunderstorms than yesterday, with conditions etc. on the surface. 8-o
Interesting that the Metservice want absolutely nothing to do with thunderstorms for Canterbury today? I wonder whether we are missing something?
No Risk today as upper atmosphere is too stable thats why and sfc dps are too low in relation to the sfc temp.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Bradley wrote:
Yes, it was an interesting fact that there were thunderstorms around, yesterday, but generally the day was a warm NW day and any thunderstorm activity was a side issue to the thunder symbol that they had on their website for Christchurch for most of the day, yesterday. 8)
JohnGaul
NZThS
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Had a good thunderstorm at Peel Forest yesterday afternoon/evening.Moved off Mt Peel towards the Mayfield area.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Mt Peel looked good when I was in Geraldine on the Wednesday.
Anyway, today looking dark towards TC and I'm pretty sure I have heard a distant clap of thunder :D
JohnGaul
NZThS
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Tornado Tim wrote:
One thing with New Zealand Lightning that I have noticed with the data coming back from Blitzortung is that our Lightning especially on Mediocre setups like yesterday is that the amperage from the Lightning strikes is very weak and the the wave that is created doesnt travel much before it cant be picked up at all.
More stations need to be added in NZ if this is to be fixed.

It just the kind of thing that's unique to NZ from other countries, as this problem doesn't exist in the States or Europe where there is a larger landmass and thermal distribution is much greater giving rise to better convection and lapse rates, which then in turn gives stronger lightning waveforms.

But yes as Simon mentioned, Lightning networks should be used as a guide, but they will only get better if more people participate in them.
That makes a lot of sense Tim, so its the fact that we are a set of small islands that limits amperage, so even though NZ discharges are weak when compared to continental landmasses has that nothing to do with frequency of strikes as last night they were going off every 5 to 10 seconds. Thats the part i dont under stand, the amperage is weak the discharges were frequent.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Christchurch Airport has had 13mm in the last hour, turning into a nice wee rain event this one :)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Richard wrote: so its the fact that we are a set of small islands that limits amperage, so even though NZ discharges are weak when compared to continental landmasses has that nothing to do with frequency of strikes as last night they were going off every 5 to 10 seconds. Thats the part i dont under stand, the amperage is weak the discharges were frequent.
5 to 10 seconds is not frequent compared to what happens in continents where a good storm cell will put out multiple strikes per second (IC as well as CG). A decent NZ cell can produce lightning every 2-3 seconds but this summer season has been lacking.

NZ doesn't get much instability due to geography but we do get dynamic lift off jet streams and shortwaves (divergence). Wind shear also enhances lift as does topography......which all helps with lightning generation.
Powermad

Unread post by Powermad »

I wonder if we can convince MS to share lightning strikes on their website? They have a comprehensive network..
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Pretty sure that Transpower own the lightning detection network that MS use… :-k
Tornado Tim

Nev wrote:Pretty sure that Transpower own the lightning detection network that MS use… :-k
Indeed, MS do not own/operate one.