General December Weather

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Nev

Re: General December Weather

Unread post by Nev »

Here's NIWA's preliminary, 'December 2016 National Climate Summary'.

A dry end to the year with average to below average temperatures.

The national average temp of 15.4C was 0.3C below normal.

The month's highest temp of 33.2C was again recorded by Riccarton, Christchurch on the 21st, and the lowest temp of -1.2C was recorded at Hanmer Forest on the 20th.

Both Kaitaia and Dunedin experienced their second sunniest Decembers on record. Kerikeri also recorded its lowest ever Dec rainfall with just 9mm (no mention of the mere 4mm recorded at Tolaga Bay though).
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

Also, here's NIWA's 'Final', '2016 National Annual Climate Summary'.

It was New Zealand’s warmest year on record.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Nev wrote:Here's NIWA's preliminary, 'December 2016 National Climate Summary'.

A dry end to the year with average to below average temperatures.

The national average temp of 15.4C was 0.3C below normal.

The month's highest temp of 33.2C was again recorded by Riccarton, Christchurch on the 21st, and the lowest temp of -1.2C was recorded at Hanmer Forest on the 20th.

Both Kaitaia and Dunedin experienced their second sunniest Decembers on record. Kerikeri also recorded its lowest ever Dec rainfall with just 9mm (no mention of the mere 4mm recorded at Tolaga Bay though).
The Ch'ch sunshine data doesn't match the anomaly ....

Meanwhile, it would be nice to the stats appear in the November report - not for the first time, I've asked them what is happening ... o_O
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Nev wrote:Also, here's NIWA's 'Final', '2016 National Annual Climate Summary'.

No wonder with all those maximum temperature readings from Riccarton :-w
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
Nev wrote:Also, here's NIWA's 'Final', '2016 National Annual Climate Summary'.

No wonder with all those maximum temperature readings from Riccarton :-w
Hardly ... q-
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

2016 was a good year for weather. There were 4 months that were good for thunderstorms, particularly over the North Island, January, May, July and October. Auckland had over 20 days I believe.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZstorm wrote:2016 was a good year for weather. There were 4 months that were good for thunderstorms, particularly over the North Island, January, May, July and October. Auckland had over 20 days I believe.
Certainly not around here. An excess of rainfall, and he 2nd dullest year since 1992. Ruined by the Sept-Dec period which was abysmal.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

I liked the way that Daniel Corbett mentioned, tonight on the TVOne weather, that the reason for the warm 2016 year was because of the MEAN temperature rather than mentioning the highs for the year.
I thought the winter was mild and the summer was nothing out of the ordinary.
JohnGaul
NZThS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

NZstorm wrote:2016 was a good year for weather. There were 4 months that were good for thunderstorms, particularly over the North Island, January, May, July and October. Auckland had over 20 days I believe.
Not down here with the recent El Nino but currently with the lows moving across in the "Forties", things have been a better this summer, although not really significant, so far.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

RWood wrote:The Ch'ch sunshine data doesn't match the anomaly ....
Yes, Chch sunshine should only be about 80% of normal, not 145%. However, it's also missing 3 days of data - 2 of which were fairly cloudy and 1 quite sunny - so still less than 90% of normal.

Wgtn is also missing one day of data, but that day was fairly cloudy, so would have made little difference.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Nev wrote:
RWood wrote:The Ch'ch sunshine data doesn't match the anomaly ....
Yes, Chch sunshine should only be about 80% of normal, not 145%. However, it's also missing 3 days of data - 2 of which were fairly cloudy and 1 quite sunny - so still less than 90% of normal.

Wgtn is also missing one day of data, but that day was fairly cloudy, so would have made little difference.
The "gap" between Chch values and those of nearby electronic sites has widened if anything, and I suspect deterioration at the airport manual site for any of the "usual suspect" reasons.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Nev wrote:

The month's highest temp of 33.2C was again recorded by Riccarton, Christchurch on the 21st,
I got up to 29.7C in my old SS.

Glad to see that Clyde/Alex being the country's highest temperature beating Riccarton for the year.
JohnGaul
NZThS
Nev

Unread post by Nev »

RWood wrote:The "gap" between Chch values and those of nearby electronic sites has widened if anything, and I suspect deterioration at the airport manual site for any of the "usual suspect" reasons.
Is the the Chch Aero sunshine recorder a manual one though? Says in the notes that they were using Vaisala sunshine recorders and the last time it was exchanged was in 2006. Thought most of the old Campbell-Stokes recorders would have been phased out by now?
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Nev wrote:
RWood wrote:The "gap" between Chch values and those of nearby electronic sites has widened if anything, and I suspect deterioration at the airport manual site for any of the "usual suspect" reasons.
Is the the Chch Aero sunshine recorder a manual one though? Says in the notes that they were using Vaisala sunshine recorders and the last time it was exchanged was in 2006. Thought most of the old Campbell-Stokes recorders would have been phased out by now?
Couldn't find reference to Vaisala in the notes, maybe unobservant ... there was an exchange of some sort in 2006. Anyway, Ch'ch Aero readings in the last few years seem to have regressed relative to almost any other site anywhere, perhaps an exposure deterioration. Tauranga Aero numbers have been too low for quite a long time, it should be noted ... (perhaps not in Dec 2016 though) - I'd bet on exposure.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

RWood wrote:Tauranga Aero numbers have been too low for quite a long time, it should be noted ... (perhaps not in Dec 2016 though) - I'd bet on exposure.
Agreed, the airport is very exposed and quite an inaccurate representation of Tauranga itself.