Another sunny, mild day in Chch, but...

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Another sunny, mild day in Chch, but...

Unread post by tich »

I don't believe the West Coast is getting this weather. It's not as mild here as yesterday (but still pleasant), due to the fact we must be in a colder westerly flow. I see the alpine passes have been affected by snow, and as the obs for noon show only 6-8C temperatures for the coast, (and they were even lower earlier in the day) I'd say the snow levels could be quite low over there.

Ben
Christchurch
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes, Ben, another fine sunny day here in Christchurch with a pleasant gentle westerly blowing. I got up to a pleasant 16C. Also managed to mow the lawns. It's interesting that this weather system is not delivering here, must be the sheltering effect of the SI.
I thought it may of had good potential for Winter Cb's here, plus an odd rodent thrown in eg, a tornado on the West coast maybe!
Another fine day tomorrow.

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Another fine day tomorrow.
Correct prediction John - it's another sunny, mild day here, and probably cold and showery again on the West Coast and in the far south. But this does look like a critical west to southwest flow, so any swing to the southwest could easily change things, though probably without much more than a few showers here. MetService does mention the possiblility of a few showers clipping Banks Peninsula.

Ben
Christchurch
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Its as cold as a witches broom here up here :( and raining heavy every 1/2 hour too :(
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes, another fine day here in ChCh. Some interesting looking cirrus and Cs forms indicating very cold air up there. Slightly milder than yesterday, I got up to 16.5C. Another day spent in the garden when judging by the origional forecasts for the WE, I thought I would be huddled around the fire inside all WE not mowing lawns etc and dressed in a t=shirt.
Slightly cooler now with a light Ne blowing here which if it were summertime could be quite friutful!

JohnGaul
NZTS
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Another fine day here,with high cloud.
Feels like spring is here already.
Hoping this week might be more unsettled,but will probably fizz out like all the rest.
Cheers.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

It felt like spring in the first week of the month and Thursday just gone but its back to the depth of winter up here with the gales and rain every hour or so :(
You can "bet your bottom dollar" it will be unsettled here again
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yes, Michael. it did look cold and wintry up there in Auckland last night whilst watching the rugby. I did notice condensation on the players breath.
Apperently, there was snow lying around Queen Street as well!

Cheers
JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The Ozzies probably didnt like the wet cold here but for the games in November we can only hope for a S-SE flow for Sydney instead of a brown rockhard ground so we can beat them then ;)
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

The All Blacks will be hoping for a brown rock hard ground!!!.