meteostat | Weather History and Climate Averages

Discussion of weather and climate outside of NZ's waters. Australian weather, tropical cyclones and USA storm chasing feature here.
Christian
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

meteostat | Weather History and Climate Averages

Unread post by Christian »

Hey guys,
My name is Christian. I’m a student from Germany and I’d like to get your feedback for a website I’ve created.

The project is called meteostat (available in English: https://www.meteostat.net) and provides weather and climate statistics for thousands of places worldwide. I developed this project because I wanted to offer people a simple platform for querying meteorological statistics. So far I’ve already realized some of my goals. But there is still some work that has to be done. In order to improve meteostat I wanted to reach out to you guys so I get an idea of how other people think about the project.

I have a few questions:

1. As I’m not native in English: Are there any mistakes regarding to my language and the vocabulary used on meteostat that could mislead users?
2. Currently, I’m using metric units for users from all countries but the United States, Belize, Bahamas and Cayman Islands for which I set the default unit system to imperial (°F). Are there any other countries (e.g. Canada, Australia, New Zealand) where people prefer imperial units?
3. How do you like the User Experience?
4. Which data do you miss?
5. Would you use meteostat as a source for weather and climate statistics?

It’s my goal to create a database which provides detailed weather statistics for as many places as possible. Furthermore, I want to focus on the provision of real time data – so people can check on yesterday’s averages and records. Currently, statistics are mainly based on data provided by NOAA’s GHCN, METAR reports and statistics published by the official weather administration of Germany. The data provided by these organizations is quite detailed, but it takes a few months till they update their datasets. Because of those delays I want to create my own statistics using hourly weather observations (probably SYNOP data).

I’m thankful for your hints and any feedback.

Christian