Christchurch December Days above 30 Degrees

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Jordan M
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Christchurch December Days above 30 Degrees

Unread post by Jordan M »

Does anyone have information at hand as to the record number of >30.0°C days Christchurch has had during the month of December?
NZstorm

Re: Christchurch December Days above 30 Degrees

Unread post by NZstorm »

I had a look back at the last 25 years for Christchurch Airport and the record in that time looks to be 3 days. But such data is very site specific and there could be a location that has recorded 4 days.
Jordan M
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jordan M »

Thank you. That's interesting, there's been two days this month already and the next three days are also forecast to be 30 or above. I guess 30°C is a fairly arbitrary threshold, but it's probably a standard for what most people would consider to be an exceptionally warm day (in regard to typical NZ climate).
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

I was expecting Rupert Wood to come back with an answer to this, as he is the expert on this forum regarding weather records. :-k
JohnGaul
NZThS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: Thu 07/12/2017 23:04 I was expecting Rupert Wood to come back with an answer to this, as he is the expert on this forum regarding weather records. :-k
I only have the temperature records for Ch'ch Aero (and only to 2007) ... the Gardens site history is much longer. I think Nev has a level access to Cliflo enabling direct queries which would give an answer more quickly .. is he around?
tich

Unread post by tich »

December 1975 saw a 35C maximum in Chch. (same month was actually much cooler than normal for NZ as a whole, most notably on Xmas and Boxing Days)