thunderstorm photos for thesis

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
xealeel
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

thunderstorm photos for thesis

Unread post by xealeel »

Morena all,
I have a quick request that I'm hoping the NZ Weather Forum can help me with. I'm just polishing my PhD thesis on lightning in New Zealand and am wanting to exchange my current generic international example pictures of different thunderstorm types for some New Zealand specific ones. I was wondering if anyone had some good New Zealand examples of unicell, multicell cluster, multicell line and supercell storms that they would be willing to send me for use in a thesis figure (you will be properly credited with name and date. I need permission to put the pictures into my document which is the reason why I'm sending this post rather than just looking through the fantastic pictures which I know are throughout this forum). I would need the photos by end of day on Monday 18th December 2017.
I ought to warn anyone whose photo I do utilise, my thesis is probably only ever going to be read by my supervisors, examiners and (possibly) my family so I don't think having a picture in a thesis is going to bring fame or fortune!
Thanks
Kerryn
UPDATE: I've been given examples of a multicell cluster and multicell line - just the unicell and supercell to go!
Last edited by xealeel on Sat 16/12/2017 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
spwill

Re: thunderstorm photos for thesis

Unread post by spwill »

Hi kerryn, if you find any photos of mine on this forum that might be useful you are most welcome to use them.
xealeel

Unread post by xealeel »

Thanks, I'll have a look through your photos and will let you know if I use any of them.
Regards
Kerryn
spwill wrote: Sat 16/12/2017 12:45 Hi kerryn, if you find any photos of mine on this forum that might be useful you are most welcome to use them.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

99.9% of NZ storms are multicellur. The best example of a unicell storm, if such a storm exists would be the North American supercell.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

You are welcome to any of my photos also kerryn
xealeel

Unread post by xealeel »

Thanks Richard. I'll be in touch via pm if I see a picture of yours that will fit my criteria.
Regards
Kerryn
Richard wrote: Sat 16/12/2017 18:30 You are welcome to any of my photos also kerryn
xealeel

Unread post by xealeel »

Hi NZStorm.
Thanks for your comment. Yes, the unicell is going to be the trickiest one to find an example of for exactly the reason you stated - most NZ thunderstorms are multicells of some description. I think my best bet will be any relatively isolated summertime airmass storm examples from around the Central North Island ...... I may just need to stick to my international example, and that's ok.
Regarding your second comment - I utilized a hazards matrix to differentiate between the (generally non-severe) unicell and the (severe) supercell so, for the purpose of my research, I am considering them as separate categories.
Regards
Kerryn
NZstorm wrote: Sat 16/12/2017 17:53 99.9% of NZ storms are multicellur. The best example of a unicell storm, if such a storm exists would be the North American supercell.