Widespread T-storms - Dec 1-6

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
mikestormchaser

Re: Widespread T-storms - Dec 1-6

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: Wed 05/12/2018 22:36
mikestormchaser wrote: Wed 05/12/2018 22:23 Your getting them good john since you moved from west Melton!
Just standard rain here in rolleston, nothing to exciting.
Wev had a heap of rain this year, esp the last 2 months.

I wish you were here, Mikey. you would of been rapped. :D \:D/
Never seen horizontal lightning like it. :D
Even gave Andrea, a hug as she watched a giant flash with me :smile:

I love your enthusiasm john! Would of loved to of been down there, getting a good run in south Canterbury and otago! Not so good up this way yet. Will get our turn at some point! Think we might need to organize another Canterbury weather meet at some point over xmas holidays?
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Widespread T-storms - Dec 1-6

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Yes. The lightning was amazing. Very bright and like strands of spagetti being held.
Not many flashes, 3 in all over a period of 10 minutes, but the horizontal bolts were very strong looking viewed from here, between Geraldine and the foothills, and also it was on the tail end of the rain that moved over from the west in that line that stretched all the way up to North Canterbury last evening.
Not much rain here but it poured in areas like the Orari one way bridge area.
There was a small picture of the lightning in this morning's TH but it wasn't very good.
I don't know who took the photo but it would good to see an elongated picture of the horizontal bolt.
JohnGaul
NZThS