Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event (SH) 2019

Archive of NZ Weather and Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Bradley

Re: Sudden Stratospheric Warming Event (SH) 2019

Unread post by Bradley »

If anything the heat anamoly at 10hpa is forecast not only to continue until at least the 16/09 but to substantially increase in area over Antarctica as well. You can see in the map below the area of -30C or above is basically the entire size of Antarctica, at present it would be lucky to be half the size so this event is a long way from finishing, we could be looking at seeing the effects of this on New Zealand continuing well into November at this rate...
36C1910B-FE88-448B-9AB9-CC58B21AFC8F.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Whatever this does the foreseeable future (week or 2) looks mostly settled and uneventful for Canterbury, good news for feeding and growing.
Christchurch Rocks
Chris W

Unread post by Chris W »

Looks at present like we may see a return towards the end of next week of northwesterlies rather than anything from a southerly direction. It doesn’t look to be dominated by high pressure. Could be quite windy.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

If the GFS is anything to go by, the southern continent could go under significant cooling the next week, especially in the east. I wonder though how much of the cold-bias problem has been fixed for the new GFS.
image.png
Has a big effect on southern hemisphere temperatures which could also bring the globe to a more 'normal' temperature for a change.
image.png
GFS V ECMWF (12Z runs) comparison:
image.png
image.png
Meanwhile, the BoM ACCESS-G model increases it's severity of the SSW with 10mb temps to a massive 31C on the 11th. ECMWF a lot more conservative showing 10mb temps to 14C on about the 11th.
image.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wembley

Unread post by wembley »

Hard to tell what summer will be like after this...
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

wembley wrote: Sun 08/09/2019 16:57 Hard to tell what summer will be like after this...
Cool.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Quiet hard to believe that it is warmer 30km above the South Pole at the moment then it was here in Christchurch this morning!
CB2DA48B-BFD8-4B1C-8064-131B7B8F1830.jpeg
stepr
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by stepr »

From a UK perspective this is quite interesting, as we get SSW events more frequently, and we know exactly what their effects are likely to be somewhere.

I do wonder what influence the sea will have on the SSW event there because in the northern hemisphere there's a lot of land mass around in the mid latitudes, so when surface cold incursions occur they can be very cold, locally. However in NZ's case, I wonder if the relative lack of landmass at the mid latitudes will mean any effects would be more subdued than they would be in the northern hemisphere (ie not quite as cold, comparatively). But then again, the source (Antarctica) is colder than the Arctic generally.

I also wonder how this will effect feedback cycles around the globe. Though knowing what I do about Arctic SSW events, any influence on the northern hemisphere will be minimal.
Liverpool, UK

USDA zone 9a/3 (UK zone)..

Lowest winter low on average (each year): -4C
Highest summer high on average (each year): 27C
Highest maximum on record: 35.2C (July 2006)
Lowest minimum on record: -10.5C (December 2010)
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

stepr wrote: Sun 08/09/2019 19:34 From a UK perspective this is quite interesting, as we get SSW events more frequently, and we know exactly what their effects are likely to be somewhere.

I do wonder what influence the sea will have on the SSW event there because in the northern hemisphere there's a lot of land mass around in the mid latitudes, so when surface cold incursions occur they can be very cold, locally. However in NZ's case, I wonder if the relative lack of landmass at the mid latitudes will mean any effects would be more subdued than they would be in the northern hemisphere (ie not quite as cold, comparatively). But then again, the source (Antarctica) is colder than the Arctic generally.

I also wonder how this will effect feedback cycles around the globe. Though knowing what I do about Arctic SSW events, any influence on the northern hemisphere will be minimal.
Another point which you may not be factoring in is that this event happening above Antarctica is 3-4 times stronger then the SSW that happened in 2018 in the northern hemisphere. Your event was approx a 25C anomaly at 10hpa (as per graph below) whereas this event is already 75C above the long term mean and is forecast to go above 100C in around 5 days time. As to what the effects of this will be, only time will tell!
690D61E1-C3D8-4228-8FFE-EC7F2D0881B2.jpeg
talbotmj15

Unread post by talbotmj15 »

The Vortex has clearly begun to break apart. Can the gurus pass any more guidance and speculate on any potential possibilities yet. I see next weekend is looking quite warm? Shouldnt we be starting to see effects in the troposphere and it upsetting the weather by now?

Also what happens when the vortex breaks up?
received_907383229646143.png
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I have a distinct memory of talks about vortex disruption in/around February 2004, but presumably there was no SSW event then. That month was of course cool, wet, windy and cyclonic - the wettest on record for about 30 locations.
Ash

Unread post by Ash »

According to Niwa Feb 2004 was a historic month, massive flooding and historic wind events as well as cooler than average temps.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

talbotmj15 wrote: Sun 08/09/2019 21:20 The Vortex has clearly begun to break apart. Can the gurus pass any more guidance and speculate on any potential possibilities yet.
I wrote a list further up this thread.
talbotmj15 wrote: Sun 08/09/2019 21:20 I see next weekend is looking quite warm? Shouldnt we be starting to see effects in the troposphere and it upsetting the weather by now?
No.
talbotmj15 wrote: Sun 08/09/2019 21:20 Also what happens when the vortex breaks up? received_907383229646143.png
Unknown-1.jpeg
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Oh well. We will see what happens in due course. Currently it is cold in Southland .I have an air temp currently of -1.8C and still dropping .One of the coldest nights of the year
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Latest GFS output has the SSW event basically taking over the continent of Antarctica in 10 days time - we already have drastically higher then normal 10hpa temps of -30C or above over half of Antarctica but this extends to 90% of Antarctica on the 18/9 - this event still has a long way to go before it's over and you can't help but think October is going to be an extremely active month for New Zealand :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2019090818.f000.10.tmpcnonetmpctmpcnone.ant.gfs003.gif
2019090818.f240.10.tmpcnonetmpctmpcnone.ant.gfs003.gif
snowchaser01

Unread post by snowchaser01 »

Safe to say the Polar Vortex is under extreme duress currently. God knows what implications this will have down here in the coming weeks and months, but it seems to be breaking up extremely quickly currently. :eek: :crazy:
Not that I know much about this sort of thing, but it seems it has split out over South America. The "loose red patches" to about southern Bolivia or northern Argentina are also showing in surface observations.... at the very least it is interesting and something to watch.
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9rslfDkfWR3X6Spw5b5yA
treetopkk
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by treetopkk »

anyone know what conditions are currently occurring at the bottom of S America compared to the norm ? They are a lot closer to the action now . A taste of what we might expect perhaps ?
Cyclone Tracy

Unread post by Cyclone Tracy »

I've just had a quick look at surface temps and Antarctic sea ice extent since the stratosphere warming commenced.

Southern hemisphere and the Antarctic surface temps have dropped significantly, which has readjusted the global temperature downward by 0.3c to now only 0.1c above the 1979-2000 ave. The Antarctic sea ice extent has grown by half a million square km's in same period and is virtually at the 1980-2010 median.

Looking forward to having a close look at NASA's latest stratospheric data tomorrow morning (NZT) :smile: :popcorn:
snowchaser01

Cyclone Tracy wrote: Mon 09/09/2019 20:00 I've just had a quick look at surface temps and Antarctic sea ice extent since the stratosphere warming commenced.

Southern hemisphere and the Antarctic surface temps have dropped significantly, which has readjusted the global temperature downward by 0.3c to now only 0.1c above the 1979-2000 ave. The Antarctic sea ice extent has grown by half a million square km's in same period and is virtually at the 1980-2010 median.

Looking forward to having a close look at NASA's latest stratospheric data tomorrow morning (NZT) :smile: :popcorn:
This is quite shocking!
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Nice to see a balloon ascent from Amundsen-Scott Station (South Pole) not burst at about 150 hPa which it seems to do often, enabling a full sample of the troposphere, and part of the stratosphere.
image.png
-7.7C to 8 hPa above 10mb beyond that graph.
Awhituobs

Unread post by Awhituobs »

antartica.png
antartica.png
Antartic sea ice extent is very variable at the best of times
its below normal by a lot in some places
but then above in others
there does seem to be a split in the temperatures across the southern hemisphere, south america is much colder than normal currently
Cyclone Tracy

Incredible air chemistry observations coming in from NASA associated with ozone levels sharply increasing over the Antarctic continent. The ozone hole is being pushed towards Sth America and off the polar continent. EC is projecting it to virtually close off as the SSW peaks tomorrow. Normally, ozone should be degrading at this time of year (Aug-Oct) over the pole, as the sun takes over from the polar night. IMO this will have an impact global air circulation.

On temperatures and circulation, U.S Hurricane met's are also picking up on this and the impact its about to have on MJO. The SSW acts to cool the equatorial band upper-troposphere, increasing upwelling along the equator. This favors for strong MJO events which may spark late season hurricanes in the Atlantic.

Here is last year's comparison to now for the ozone hole as of 7 Sept along with EC's forecast.
Bradley

Unread post by Bradley »

Signs this morning the polar vortex at 70hpa repairing itself with the large area of winds around the 100kmh mark now up to 140kmh and the diamond shape now more of a traditional circle - all this is going directly against the notion that the vortex is losing shape and/or breaking up all together, very strange...
snowchaser01

Bradley wrote: Tue 10/09/2019 10:29 Signs this morning the polar vortex at 70hpa repairing itself with the large area of winds around the 100kmh mark now up to 140kmh and the diamond shape now more of a traditional circle - all this is going directly against the notion that the vortex is losing shape and/or breaking up all together, very strange...
I noticed it did the same thing last week... maybe it goes through cycles when it breaks up? I'm not reading too much into it currently.
Check me out on Youtube!
Cyclone Tracy

My 2 cents worth on the stratospheric polar vortex subject. The event so far has been driven by a wave 1 pattern which is in line with a displaced vortex, rather than a split (both are drastic). As the earlier timing of the SSW event for the southern hemisphere is unprecedented in recorded history, I think even the models are having a stab in the dark on the end result. The vortex behaviour at 100 hPa and 150 hPa will determine the impact on the Jetstream and ultimately NZ's weather.

More popcorn please :smile: