New Zealand Tornadoes

Archive of NZ Weather and Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tornado

Re: New Zealand Tornadoes of 2019

Unread post by tornado »

since i posted summeries of all the tornadoes we had in new zealand this year. i might open another thread up next year and do the same

november 18 2019 - a tornado has torn through central christchurch suburbs causing damage to buildings and injuring two people. the tornado also ripped off roofing which had asbestos on it which is dangerous to people. the street with the auto shop had to be closed off for a day or two. waterspouts were also reported

20 November 2019 : supercell storms went through canturbury. there are some reports of funnel clouds. and in the thread of this storm was a post of a "wedge funnel cloud" and another post of some wind damage. there could of been some small tornadoes around but was not seen by much people because of either roading or the "tornadoes" were weak or short lived.

if there is another tornado report this year i will post. but if theres none then that concludes this thread of new zealand tornadoes of 2019.
this thread started off with me complaining about there hasnt been much action as I created this back in march when i first joined. I still remember getting warnings from all the moderators to stop posting too much lol [-X .
Last edited by tornado on Thu 28/11/2019 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
Ruddyway
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Zealand Tornadoes

Unread post by Ruddyway »

Another tornado would be very out of the ordinary at this point, right?
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

Ruddyway wrote: Thu 28/11/2019 03:05 Another tornado would be very out of the ordinary at this point, right?

yes I agree. if new zealand gets more severe storms then maybe. welcome to the forum by the way
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Why would it be out of the ordinary? This next month can be a very fruitful time especially for the west coast of both islands, from Taranaki south.
This week will be a classic example, watch mid week for potential tornados on the west coast of the south island.
A very wild week ahead for them.
Not to mention eastern south island moves into its peak for storm season from about now until mid January, this is stastically when more severe storms have ocurred and longer daylight hours heating etc.
I think this xmas new years period will be one to remember for eastern south island, given the SSW and of previous years the trend should see a SW switch around this time.
Many who go away camping at this time will hope they packed that extra tarp and shovel =; :D
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

Storm Struck wrote: Sun 01/12/2019 16:09 Why would it be out of the ordinary? This next month can be a very fruitful time especially for the west coast of both islands, from Taranaki south.
This week will be a classic example, watch mid week for potential tornados on the west coast of the south island.
A very wild week ahead for them.
Not to mention eastern south island moves into its peak for storm season from about now until mid January, this is stastically when more severe storms have ocurred and longer daylight hours heating etc.
I think this xmas new years period will be one to remember for eastern south island, given the SSW and of previous years the trend should see a SW switch around this time.
Many who go away camping at this time will hope they packed that extra tarp and shovel =; :D

thanks for that. much appreciated. i agree. there could be a couple of tornadoes in the west coast this week.
tornado

Unread post by tornado »

december 17th: small tornado reported at waikato did some minor damage to a house and uplifted a few trees.