Cyclone Dovi- impacts on NZ

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Richard

Re: Cyclone Dovi- impacts on NZ

Unread post by Richard »

I would be interested to know why this small circle is showing on the MS website, its right over here and it should not be there. :-k
hole.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Richard wrote: Mon 14/02/2022 18:04 I would be interested to know why this small circle is showing on the MS website, its right over here and it should not be there. :-k
hole.png
A rogue value which has triggered the plotting software to show it locally.
jamie

Unread post by jamie »

Well the power here dropped out at 3am. Well networks said to me at the local sub station that a major fault occurred at 3 am due to strain on the network from the hundreds of faults. We regained power at 3:30pm. We are however lucky. Many roads and neighbours to us and around us will not have power until tomorrow. Lots of cows being walked through farms and down roads to get to near by milking sheds to milk the cows. Well network repairmen said the network has taken a beating like they have never seen before.

The damage around the place is incredible. I’ve never seen so many trees down.

I would love to see some meso analysis. It seems as though we were in a spot that sustained some of the worst damage. Did local hills have an impact or were we right in the perfect squeeze spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cbm

Unread post by cbm »

I am not at home but reports are house and section is fine, the family farm's maize crops escaped with little damage although plenty of trees down around the place. Seems it hit some areas harder than others.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Awhituobs

Unread post by Awhituobs »

a mesoscale analysis would be real interesting
snowchaser01

Unread post by snowchaser01 »

Finished on 95mm for the event at my place in Northwood, Christchurch. About 35mm of that was due to a convergence line on Saturday afternoon which seemed to mostly impact far north and western suburbs of the city. About 60mm was due to to the main moisture band which moved in later that evening.
Some pretty large variances I would imagine depending on what suburb of Christchurch you reside in.
Born and bred Cantab. Weather is my passion. Reporting from northern Christchurch.
Check me out on Youtube!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCa9rslfDkfWR3X6Spw5b5yA
Tornado Tim

Unread post by Tornado Tim »

Got out chasing the wind on mid Sunday morning with Brian in Awhitu, went to the Manukau Heads Lighthouse to catch some 144km/hr gusts.
We effectively got sand/earth and salt blasted from Paratutae lsland as soon as we stepped out into the Lighthouse sitting area (pic shows one of the many intense wind driven orographic vortexes that would cover you with sand n earth) then went to Hamilton's Gap to observe the massive sea state and wind just taking away sand from the dunes.

Of note a 7.5 m significant wave height was recorded offshore New Plymouth by MetOceans Wave Bouy equalling Hs or Wave height Max of 9.75 meters : more info here: https://www.metocean.co.nz/news/2022/2/ ... clone-dovi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZAPStrike.net - NZ Aus Pacific Strike Network
Awhituobs

Unread post by Awhituobs »

great photos, not sure who that old guy is lol
just to put things into perspective, Paratutae lsland is 105m high...so that salt spray vortex is 100m in height!