Rain in Chch

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Thunder

Rain in Chch

Unread post by Thunder »

Hello

I'm getting an allright dump of rain here in Southshore at the moment (7:41pm). Anyone else get anything?

Also, I notice on the 6pm radar a big purple splodge up beyond Amberley on the east cost, perhaps TonyT got something from that as it drifted or developed as it travelled north, but then again it could of come from the west.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

A few spots in Hillmorton Aaron but not enough to wet the deck. Not as windy in town today as predicted too.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I notice Wellingtom Airport has 33knots gusting 52knots.
Imagine what its like up on those Wellington Hill suburbs. :)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

A brief shower here too about an hour ago. More of a throw-over shower from the west. Only 0.3mm in the fall. Must of been all quiet on the western front as I never monotered any sfericals today despite the thundery appearance of cloud along the Alps. Winds breezy here today but not that strong as what was reported in other parts of the country.

JohnGaul
NZTS
tich

Unread post by tich »

A brief, but solid shower in central Chch earlier this evening. I thought for a moment that it was hail, but in reality it was just heavy raindrops. (sounds like hail on the window) As the barometer went up at the same time, I thought we were getting a southerly change, but Jeff's website station still showed a northwesterly. Similar situation to the rain shower on Tuesday night.
Winds breezy here today but not that strong as what was reported in other parts of the country.
TV1 news hyped up the storm this evening, going on about how widespread it was. Well, I believe there were severe northwesterly gales from North (north of Christchurch) Canterbury to Hawkes Bay, and in Wellington, plus howling westerlies through Foveaux Strait and Stewart Island. But in Chch, the strongest gusts I felt, didn't feel like they were reaching gale-force. BTW I think the actual airflow over NZ today has been more westerly than northwesterly, just that the winds have been northwesterly in the eastern areas affected by the severe gales.
tich

Unread post by tich »

We had another burst of rain in central Chch shortly before dawn this morning - I think there was some hail this time, not just heavy raindrops. (no thunder or lightning) Cleared by sun-up - completely fine since.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Same here Ben, here in Southshore I got woken up by hail on the roof at about 5:30am and it went to about 5:40am. No lightning or thunder here either. Rain followed that but I fell back to sleep so don't know how long it lasted. Does anyone know where it came from and why it happened?

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Same here Ben and Aaron. I was awoken by hail falling on the roof at 5:40am.
As I was in need of a "Johnny Riddler" I got up to investicate.
It was hail the size of small pieces of shingle.
It was just coming onto light and I could see the cloud. I went back to bed anticipating a 'flash' but went back to sleep and when I woke at 8am, the sky was totally clear and fine. I noticed that the barometer had got up considerably as well. If this has happened at 5:40pm in the afternoon, it may of been a different story!

JohnGaul
NZTS