Tasman Low

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

looking at the sat image seq, it looks like the low did a loop back over the NI and back out into north of the BOP again!
hence the rain back up this way again all night long!
there must have been some big falls in exposed places last night...even new snow on the central ni mountains i would say!
(edit, no, some how central NI missed the rain last night)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
tich

Unread post by tich »

there must have been some big falls in exposed places last night...even new snow on the central ni mountains i would say!
(edit, no, some how central NI missed the rain last night)
4C in Waiouru at 7pm last night, with recent precip. Rain must've eased off alot in east of NI this morning - 7am obs show nothing in the previous hour at Gisborne, Mahia, and Napier.
Manukau heads obs

yup, the rain bands moved back up and around and over us here further north last night , as the low looped back and over the NI again
should clear up quickly as it continues to move away....
and then we wait for the warmer humid airmass moving this way off australia...that will make a change!
http://www.mtruapehu.com/snow_report.asp?admin=1
turoa got 10 to 15cm of new snow , but whakapapa was in a rain shadow...(SE wind) ;)
spike_01

Unread post by spike_01 »

Here is Ruapehu for ya... 8)

http://www.geonet.co.nz/ruapehu.html
Achten

Unread post by Achten »

77mm of rain from this low at my place.
jrj

Unread post by jrj »

98mm in Havelock North.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

I dunno weither if it was media hype but said on radio nearly 400mm of rain fell in Tolaga Bay within this system and also said biggest flooding in 7 years. :? :shock:
Must have been some downpours last night Achten whats it like around your area? I know u got 77mm but any slips roads blocked rivers burst near you.?.
Some rain last night around Templeton,Ruapuna area about Midnight got back to Kaiapoi later only Drizzle out this way :? .
Dare I say this is the only time I wil be supporting OTAGO :P go Otago only of course because its south island team in the final ;) sorry North Islanders 8) .
Cheers
JASON.
Manukau heads obs

they could have easily got those rain totals up gisborne way, which bore the brunt of the onshore rain...because of the orographic effect....its like the west caost of the SI in a wet SE flow like this one was :shock:

now one of our wettest Octobers in a long time (since 1989) here (150mm to date)
squid

Unread post by squid »

that woudl explain why rain re delveloped last night blew a gale here fomr 9pm till dawn had a further 10 mm so a total of 40mm from this event
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Jasestrm wrote:I dunno weither if it was media hype but said on radio nearly 400mm of rain fell in Tolaga Bay within this system and also said biggest flooding in 7 years. :? :shock:
I would believe that, quite a bit of an orographic effect there.

Still nothing compared to Cyclone Bola of '88 where the ranges there soaked up over 900mm in 24 hours, 300 in Gisborne bringing severe flooding, and slips. Not good at all for a region that can be so dry.

Still mostly cloudy here, even some rain around 2pm.
Storm Struck

Nice early summer/spring days coming up temps into 17-18C not too bad for NE days
Now FRIDAY in question iam not poking finger at any potentials at this stage 8-[ [-X but dare i mention smallest chance for Thunder with a late southerly coming through with showers after NW conditions But my suspicions are after NW will be too dry warm air for thunder however its worth mentioning and having look at it i think :roll: .
Where is Aaron and Steve anywayz havnt posted in awhile are they away on holz?.
Cheers
JASON.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

JohnGaul
NZTS

Not looking good for any thunder potential this month even in northern areas. :(
...however lots of fine weather coming up with warmer temps leading to a pleasant week down here :)
Nice to see Otago win tonight the rugby. Auckland are just a bunch of cheats! ;) - (now running for cover)
Storm Struck

They did play quite well actually Auckland give ya credit for that guys ;) bit of cheating there ;) :roll: but its only a rugby game Look at it this way John who won super 12 and sheild this year ;) sori to rub it in guys you guys did well though 8) .
Cheers
JASON.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

I'm here Jas! Always look in every day to see what's happening!

Just no weather really to note of at the moment. We've got some low level instability out there but then it's stable, some Cu popped up inland today but can't get any higher.

Oh well. After this big high and then associated northwesterlies get out of the way hopefully then things will start to look up thunderstorm wise.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Quite a lot of TCU in North Canty this afternoon, feed by a brisk easterly breeze for a few hours. Seemed to be a stable layer in the middle atmosphere, as the CUs couldnt get too high, but the tops were taking on anvil shapes even though they werent glaciated. Some precip dropping out of some of them, especially on the southern and eastern faces of Mt Gray. All disappeared by late afternoon.