General March Weather

Weather reports, prognostics, questions and discussion. Climate diagnostics, drivers, and outlooks. Weather stations and websites.
Dean.

Re: General March Weather

Unread post by Dean. »

Plenty of action west of town here...in cloud lightning and some decent rumbles...Methven through to Shefield/Darfield the place to be now

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Dean. wrote: Fri 03/03/2023 22:47 Plenty of action west of town here...in cloud lightning and some decent rumbles...Methven through to Shefield/Darfield the place to be now

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Ended up trying. Went out to hororata which I thought was going to be the best spot if things kept going and fired north I could just head to Oxford. But it died as expected.

Sunday for coastal Canterbury is a chance
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Back to the clagg today with grey overcast skies and occasional drizzly showers, "Some heavy" ? ...and southerly winds. :crazy:
Didn't come onto rain late this evening. 15.1C the maximum for today.
JohnGaul
NZThS
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The central NI high country through to Bay of Plenty/Coromandel is in the zone for some thunderstorms today or overnight. There is convergence moving over Auckland tomorrow but the heavy shower risk looks small.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Approaching 18mm since last evening
Ryza117

Unread post by Ryza117 »

75.2mm between 3pm and 2am this morning for us, mixed in with thunder till 8pm last night… it just keeps coming hopefully we get a break soon 😅 Patoka, Hawkes bay
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

A wet day here in Geraldine, raining from late last night and later this afternoon. A total of 24.1mm recorded for today.
Not much warmth around either with today's maximum only 12.6C. Even had the fire going 8-o
JohnGaul
NZThS
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Very heavy rain in the thunderstorm last night. The convergence line was slow moving and we had a few minutes where I expected we were going to get flooded. Rainfall rates on a couple of nearby stations were over 100mm/hr briefly. Luckily we got close to, but it didn't get inside.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

Ended up getting 37.4mm Sunday. Least we have a dry week coming up
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Richard wrote: Mon 06/03/2023 08:10 Ended up getting 37.4mm Sunday. Least we have a dry week coming up
Have you not noticed Fridays trough? :smile:
David

Unread post by David »

I see Tauranga Airport picked up 49mm between 11pm and midnight last night!
RODALCO

Unread post by RODALCO »

Saw lots of high cloud lightning activity last night from Orini from about 2200 hrs in the distance.
20230305_200417.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who put the LED's on the lightning arrestor ?
einzack

Unread post by einzack »

Just had a weird out of the blue burst of wind here in Rolleston.
We have a light NE'r and clear skies and then suddenly I hear the front door bang as it does in a strong wind, the dog rushes outside and stuff in the garden is getting blown around a bit. I also rush outside and there's a very strong wind, but I can't tell from which direction it's coming from. The tree's on the street are being blown round in different directions, and I see a few big bits of cardboard being blown around in the air ~20m above me, and I follow the cardboard for a few hundred metres before I can't see it past the houses. By this time the wind has totally disappeared and we're back to a light NE'r.
Was a really strange 20-30 seconds.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

einzack wrote: Mon 06/03/2023 16:38 Just had a weird out of the blue burst of wind here in Rolleston.
We have a light NE'r and clear skies and then suddenly I hear the front door bang as it does in a strong wind, the dog rushes outside and stuff in the garden is getting blown around a bit. I also rush outside and there's a very strong wind, but I can't tell from which direction it's coming from. The tree's on the street are being blown round in different directions, and I see a few big bits of cardboard being blown around in the air ~20m above me, and I follow the cardboard for a few hundred metres before I can't see it past the houses. By this time the wind has totally disappeared and we're back to a light NE'r.
I know exactly what you mean!
TonyT wrote: Thu 26/03/2020 14:34 Just experienced the most unusual wind gust, unlike anything I have ever experienced before. Its a lovely day here, sunny, mid 20s temp, light breeze off the sea (so pretty much easterly 5-10 knots), nothing unusual in the sky or in the prevailing conditions. I was outside hanging out the washing and from nowhere the wind speed increases, feels a little warmer, and the wind speed keeps increasing linearly over the space of about 10 seconds. Initially I thought a nor-wester had arrived. But no gustiness, just a steady, ramp up in wind speed seemingly from the north, In the space of ten seconds all the doors in the house slammed shut, windows too, washing nearly blew off the line, I thought the greenhouse would lift off its foundations and take off. Dust picked up, bushes bent over. Still no gustiness, just a linear increase in wind speed. I started to move towards the house for fear of my own safety if it continued to ramp up. Then it was gone, within 2-3 seconds back to 5 knots easterly. I would estimate at its peak it was 30-40 knots, but just for a couple of seconds, then within a further 2-3 seconds down to nothing. I looked up, no signs of any aeroplanes, meteors etc. One of the strangest wind gusts I have ever experienced.
We concluded that was a dust devil.
Richard

Unread post by Richard »

spwill wrote: Mon 06/03/2023 08:28
Richard wrote: Mon 06/03/2023 08:10 Ended up getting 37.4mm Sunday. Least we have a dry week coming up
Have you not noticed Fridays trough? :smile:
Yes, but Friday is the end of the week :lol:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

When we lived in West Melton, I experienced a few of these dust devils things out there around the Rolleston area on fine windless days.
I can remember one day we had one on our property but by the time I got my camera out to record it, it had finished. #-o
JohnGaul
NZThS
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

einzack wrote: Mon 06/03/2023 16:38 Just had a weird out of the blue burst of wind here in Rolleston.
Same thing I experienced about a month ago occurred on a convergence switch between Southerly and NE, I even commented on here about it.
The wind picked up branches off a pile swirling them in the air, and blowing the trees quite strongly I'd say 40-50kmh in two directions.
I think the heat rising off warm dry surfaces helps with this too.

On another note after 28mm yesterday and 7mm from Friday, it should be a dry few days to help the grass continue to green up.
Thursday looks like some coastal thunderstorms brushing Banks Peninsula, and Friday as Spwill said earlier looks good with the trough.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
einzack

Unread post by einzack »

TonyT wrote: Mon 06/03/2023 17:18
We concluded that was a dust devil.
That sounds exactly what I experienced. Thanks.
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

tgsnoopy wrote: Mon 06/03/2023 06:41 Very heavy rain in the thunderstorm last night. The convergence line was slow moving and we had a few minutes where I expected we were going to get flooded. Rainfall rates on a couple of nearby stations were over 100mm/hr briefly. Luckily we got close to, but it didn't get inside.
So I didn't get off that lightly. On the upstream side of the house the fence has again collapsed, albeit not as obvious as before. And whist the rain on the downstream side didn't get high enough to get in, it did on the upstream side. Didn't know initially, but I have some drying out and remedial work to do.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

No wirley-wirlies here today but a fine day with lots of Cu cloud 'streets' over the plains.
Light NNE and a maximum of 18.6C.
JohnGaul
NZThS
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The Tasman Sea will be alive with thunderstorms next few days, a very moist NW flow is the main ingredient for the storms to form. The west of the South Island is in the firing line tomorrow for some of this activity.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Mainly calm week this week for most, however Friday as already mentioned above looks interesting for many. North island looks like more heavy showers/ thunderstorms

South island from otago right through Canterbury looks like thunderstorm potential Friday. Perhaps even Thursday afternoon for coastal regions but Friday is the day to watch
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

The Tasman Sea looks fairly active at the moment, but I suppose it will die down before reaching the West Coast?
JohnGaul
NZThS
tich

Unread post by tich »

Coming back to Chch from Akaroa this afternoon, still a good coating of snow on the mountains.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Fine overnight but As layers increasing this morning but breaking up from early afternoon with some interesting Ac forms. A few spits if rain around noon. Clearing way to become fine and calm this evening. 20.6C the maximum for today.
JohnGaul
NZThS