From the ends of the earth

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Weatherlawyer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

From the ends of the earth

Unread post by Weatherlawyer »

In the news lately is the fact that a lot of people are facing death this winter as the weather closes in on the survivors of the Pakistan earthquake.

As is the wont of asian politicians everywhere, the response of the Pakistani government was appalling. It has been imputed that there is some sort of lethargy concerning the donations offered to these people.

I wonder how true that really is. Given that after another appeal was made, the county in which I live raised nearly half a million pounds and that in England, Wales and Scotland there are some 80 plus counties (and the situation may well be mirrored over the rest of Europe, North America and Australasia) it seems unlikely that the money already given has been spent wisely.

If I heard correctly there are about as many survivors at risk as there were victims i.e. 50 to 60 thousand. Let's say that the UK has just given £40 million. OK some counties are considerably less affluent than mine, £20 million. And some countries so too.

But there has to be some 10 or 20 thousand quid in the pot for each man woman and child. What is to become of it?

If every survivor isn't catered for handsomely, will there be an accounting made? I doubt it somehow.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

JohnGaul
NZTS

That's nice :)
tich

Unread post by tich »

The areas affected by that quake must vary greatly in altitude, but higher parts would be at risk of snow and sub-zero temps from now. Even the lower levels could easily get frosty at night during winter. Hypothermia will be a big danger for the homeless.
squid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

wow this deep to deep for my brain :shock: