It's Quite Warm

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Definitely hardly ever need airconditioning here..perhaps a couple of days in high summer about all
Humid in Ak from Jan to March Michael.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

spwill wrote:
Afterthought: It must get to 42 deg or more fairly regularly in parts of Australia, how do they get on for chocolate supplies there?
Hot Chocolate ?
Can remember a lot of airconditioning from my days living in OZ.

Drove through Death Valley in California, it's one of the hottest places on Earth. Temp was 45C, a local said we had arrived on a cool day. :shock:
Locals can exaggerate everywhere. Nevertheless one reliable source has a Death Valley station with mean July daily max at about 116F or 46.7C and a mean "low" of 30C.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

The last decent heat wave I can remember here was early December 2003.. very humid with thunderstorms, lasted about 5 days.

That Jordan location is close to Blenheim which is interesting.

During that heatwave the rail industry was at a standstill as the tracks buckled completely.. especially near Wanganui.
saaaab
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by saaaab »

Locals can exaggerate everywhere. Nevertheless one reliable source has a Death Valley station with mean July daily max at about 116F or 46.7C and a mean "low" of 30C.
I've read from some reliable sources that the MINIMUM temp in death valley remained above 40c on 5 occasions since 1913.
When cold fronts come you will cry; I wish there was a blocking high, cold fronts bring miserable cold and drizzle, which makes me sniffle.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

The USA Today almanac of a few years back cheerfully suggests that the best months to explore Death Valley Nat. Park are Nov-Feb when 100F temps have never been recorded (but Nov & Feb have come close). It also mentions that ground temps of up to 94C have been read.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

45C on the day I was in Death Valley but previous days had been 47C.
Went there in early August under clear skies in a car that had no airconditioning. 8)
Our drinking water was almost too hot to drink.
:shock:
I seem to remember that by law you have to carry drinking water and pick up any hitchhikers.