Wx Station Queries

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Gary Roberts wrote: I used to think NZ$449 for the Oregon Scientific WM-918 (DSE price) was outrageous but we've installed and maintain six of those now and not one has ever had a failure....
now if only I could get my hands on one of them!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

a dry climate like inland otago will make them last, but they dont do so well in other wetter climate areas, and I have have received lots of emails and seen lots of reports of problems that arise, mainly with the temp/hum sensor, from people all over the world
i should know, i deal with 1000's of weather station owners all around the world every day
when the spare parts were easy to get hold of, then yes, good to have station, no problem, but spare parts are getting hard and harder to find...
now, all stations have problems from time to time, but i myself dont recommend a station that is not being built anymore and were there are less and less spare parts....thats my message
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Manukau heads observer wrote:a dry climate like inland otago will make them last, but they dont do so well in other wetter climate areas, and I have have received lots of emails and seen lots of reports of problems that arise, mainly with the temp/hum sensor, from people all over the world
i should know, i deal with 1000's of weather station owners all around the world every day
when the spare parts were easy to get hold of, then yes, good to have station, no problem, but spare parts are getting hard and harder to find...
now, all stations have problems from time to time, but i myself dont recommend a station that is not being built anymore and were there are less and less spare parts....thats my message
Have you ever had a play with the wind sensor's timings on a WM-918 Brian? I think I remember a post saying that you changed the interval on another type of weather station. Or is Oregon Scientific a dirty word? ;) That is one annoying feature though.

As i said earlier, my WM-918 is a rock and until the day it dies, I'm happy. The only problem I have is that I run it 24/7 through a PC running Win98. I seem to get a few crashes. I was told once that 98 wasn't as stable as 2000 or XP....?
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Fujita Phil wrote:As i said earlier, my WM-918 is a rock and until the day it dies, I'm happy. The only problem I have is that I run it 24/7 through a PC running Win98. I seem to get a few crashes. I was told once that 98 wasn't as stable as 2000 or XP....?
HAHAHAHAHAAAAAA...sigh...

We ran FreeWX on Win2K and WinXP for a while and the situation wasn't too bad, since FreeWX is a very good application. Unfortunately the OS it runs on isn't very good, as you've discovered, and having to reboot the servers became irritating.

XP and 2k are a lot better than 9x, but that's really not saying much, and unlike Windows 9x you can't run the newer Windows OS on older PCs (well, not if you want to do any work with them you can't).

So we migrated to Linux and wx200d. No more problems.

I agree with you completely that the WM-918's are wonderful little stations, and it's a crying shame they are no longer in production. The alternatives are all massively over-priced for what they are.

And to address one of the claims made by Brian, the two oldest WM-918's we installed which are still functioning 100% are both in coastal Auckland, where they are exposed to salt-laden air and a grubby atmosphere. Both are still going as strong as the day they were purchased and never miss a beat. :D
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Well i'm so far VERY happy with the Davis sensors.. suprised at the little variation in observation from the Airport (15km away)
But somehow need to increase the humidity levels a tad.

Rain bucket hasn't been tested by actual rainfall yet, so Monday should deliver! :D
Gary Roberts

Foggy Hamilton wrote:Well i'm so far VERY happy with the Davis sensors...
They are okay. Not much better than the less-expensive WM-918 station's sensors, but certainly no worse. Most home stations are practically clones nowadays anyway.

After some consideration we've decided to implement our MacKenzie weather network with these: http://www.campbellsci.com/metdata1

A little more expensive than the Davis stations, and a hell of a lot more expensive than the WM-918s, but at least an order of magnitude better than either.

We can't replace the WM-918s with WM-918s anymore, alas, and there's nothing out there at the consumer level really worth the outrageous prices being demanded (if our Davis dies, it'll stay dead), so we bit the bullet and looked further afield. Donations welcomed. ;) :D
Rain bucket hasn't been tested by actual rainfall yet, so Monday should deliver! :D
Is that when the new hose arrives? ;) Seriously, you're in the North Island, so rain won't be too far away...it never is! :D
Manukau heads obs

Fujita Phil
no, oregan scientific is not a dirty word
i do support al their stations, including the wm918 (which was the first station i worked with in 1999)
the humdity sensor is the first thing to fail
Gary, are you involved with the mission bay station?
i think you are , from postings you have made before (i.e like when I told you the barometer reading needed a offset)
http://mission-bay.sig.net.nz/
it has a DP of -1oC and 23% humidity, when the DP should be 11oC at the moment
thats a typical faiure of a WM918, and my father in laws station in Omori has the same problem, and their are no replacements anymore
Fujita Phil, you could add a 1 wire windspeed sensor to your setup to get every 1 second updates of windspeed with your WM918 (if you used WD software though)
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

It's quite likely the humidity sensing element itself can be replaced, If that is what fails... Many "non serviceable" units are quite repairable... Only the custom micros, usually 'chip on board' in the cheap units, would be a problem if they are fried by lightning etc...
Gary Roberts

Manukau heads observer wrote:...the humdity sensor is the first thing to fail...
I've personally installed and continue to maintain six of those stations. Not one has had a failure; not the humidity sensor or anything else.
Gary, are you involved with the mission bay station?...it has a DP of -1oC and 23% humidity, when the DP should be 11oC at the moment thats a typical faiure of a WM918...
As I say, I'm not aware of any alleged "typical" failures with those or other stations. Whatever problem your FiL is having with his WM-918 is not related to the issue at Mission Bay. The readings are innacurate there simply due to the owner of the site it's installed at having moved the Stevenson Screen into his 3-sided carport thingee while renovating the house...that was months ago and he still hasn't restored it to the proper location. I'm not traveling to Auckland just to do it for him. ;)

As a businessman Brian, it's good that you promote your business at every opportunity here at the NZ Weather forum, and just about everywhere else too, but I think it's unfair to condemn other products because of it.

I'm just saying is all. :D ;) ;)
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

I only said the "dirty word" as a joke because of some of the recent heated discussions on this board. It certainly wasn't meant to reignite that and apologies that it has done so.

But I will do some research into your 1 wire do-dacky whatsit. An email you if I have any questions. I do particularly hate listening to a big gust and seeing that it only got to 46km (which is strongish in its own right but i know i missed the peak of that gust).

Switching to WD eh? Ooh a bit of convincing that might take... but for Gary's sake lets not do this here. :lol: Seriously I am happy with the set up I have for the time being... just the win98 crash-o-rama and my website host has a bug in their file manager but they dont believe me are my only compaints.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Gary Roberts

Fujita Phil wrote:...I will do some research into your 1 wire do-dacky whatsit.
Jeff Northcutt is a total gun on those 1-Wire jobs. Definitely worth a chat.
...but for Gary's sake lets not do this here.
Hey, don't feel ya have to do anything on my account! ;) :P :lol:

Seriously, I'm not really trying to start a flamewar. I just feel a bit of balance is called for in the forums. There is a lot more to the world of weather stations than those from Davis, and a heck of a lot more weather software out there besides Brian's Weather-Display app. If anybody is seriously thinking of 'upgrading' their WM-918, or buying a first weather station, IMO they ought to be aware of that.

I personally feel that the Davis stations aren't necessarily a good first choice. There are less expensive stations which will do the job at least as well, and there's absolutely no need to divert cash from the hardware fund into software when there is a lot of excellent free stuff available.

Just my opinion and all that.
Manukau heads obs

gary,that humidity sensor low reading in the garage would still not be that low,as there would be plenty of moisture getting into the garage.
if it was in a non sutiable location, it still wont record -1 dew point, which would be a near record for auckland on the water front... and its a typical failure of that sensor...thats all I am saying...I have seen 100's of reports of that problem.....but other stations are not immune from problems with the humidity sensor....just to add, but at least their are spare parts.
gary, there was a support forum for davis stations at weather matrix, but it was shut down because it was not needed, whereas the support forum for the wm918 was full of people complaining about the product, and total lack of support from the manufacturer.

Fuji,you can ask me about 1 wire,too, i have good experience with 1 wire stuff ( i have had here at various times lots of 1 wire stuff, and currently have a 1 wire lightning counter in use)
a labjack is also a neat thing to have, and you can add lots of things to that, like even 12 volt switching
note that win98 will fall over after 41 days running , thats a bug in the OS

gary,the problem with the price of the davis stations is the davis resellers. in the usa their price is much more reasonable
Gary Roberts

Manukau heads observer wrote:gary,that humidity sensor low reading in the garage would still not be that low,as there would be plenty of moisture getting into the garage.
The sensor is in a Stevenson screen within a box covered with dust cloths in a dry garage. But you can't know that since you haven't been there.
if it was in a non sutiable location, it still wont record -1 dew point, which would be a near record for auckland on the water front...
Refer above.
and its a typical failure of that sensor...thats all I am saying...I have seen 100's of reports of that problem.....but other stations are not immune from problems with the humidity sensor....just to add, but at least their are spare parts.
No failures out of six stations, and I know of others which are going strong and have been for a long time.

gary, there was a support forum for davis stations at weather matrix, but it was shut down because it was not needed, whereas the support forum for the wm918 was full of people complaining about the product, and total lack of support from the manufacturer.
There was a lot of spamming at those forums too, including from Davis shills with weather software bundling agreements with Davis distributors who trolled incessantly.

On top of that, because the WM-918 stations were so inexpensive they were being purchased and installed by people who may otherwise not have turned their hands to such things. The majority of failures were self-inflicted.

Nobody makes the WM-918 anymore, which is a shame, but when a manufacturer can make a station which is only marginally better and charge 5 times as much (or more) as the WM-918 retailed at, why would they bother? If people are willing to pay so much for so little more, then they will exploit that willingness. Sad but true. It's why some people still pay for software even though the free alternatives are generally superior. That's marketing I suppose.
gary,the problem with the price of the davis stations is the davis resellers. in the usa their price is much more reasonable
We purchased our Davis station from the US because it was so much cheaper over there. It was still overpriced though, when you compare it with less expensive stations.

Gary Roberts: no idea when I joined this Forum, and don't care, since it doesn't mean a damn thing. :D
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Just a heads up for anyone interested, there may be a good deal to be had on ebay for Davis stations at present, see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Davis-Wireless- ... dZViewItem

The seller has a long feedback record and will ship worldwide for US$65. Warranty claims will be pretty much out of the question of course, but I would expect this to go for around US$450 so its a considerable saving on the NZ price if you want to take the chance. I bought my DVP from an ebay seller earlier in the year and its been brilliant - landed in NZ for about $750 all up.
Gary Roberts

TonyT wrote:Just a heads up...landed in NZ for about $750 all up.
NZ$750 is mostly reasonable. At that price they're worth buying, and there are plenty of excellent free weather apps for it, including Linux versions (such as Meteo, wx/net and wview).
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

Hmm thats almost tempting,.... looks like a datalogger would be needed as well for computer connection.?

One thing I'd be alittle wary of is bringing in equipment using non New Zealand approved frequencies for radio communication. Radio Spectrum Management are working hard to stop non compliant imports, and that may extend to customs being advised to stop personal imports where they are recognised as well.
Gary Roberts

ricky wrote:...looks like a datalogger would be needed as well for computer connection.?
You only need or use a data-logger if you didn't have a permanent computer connection. Otherwise the station utilises a serial link from the console to a PC for live monitoring.
One thing I'd be alittle wary of is bringing in equipment using non New Zealand approved frequencies for radio communication. Radio Spectrum Management are working hard to stop non compliant imports, and that may extend to customs being advised to stop personal imports where they are recognised as well.
Agreed. A non-compliant imported wireless device could lead to 'issues'. Wireless stations definitely have the benefit of some convenience, but give me a good ol' reel of cable anyday! :D
Manukau heads obs

You only need or use a data-logger if you didn't have a permanent computer connection. Otherwise the station utilises a serial link from the console to a PC for live monitoring.
which station are you refering to their gary?
the davis station connection to a computer is a data logger
Willoughby
Site Admin

Well here's what is to be installed this Saturday atop the house :D :D

Brian what does your setup look like? Ricky?

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Manukau heads obs

that looks like a wired country wireless internet connection, up on a high pole to clear trees, etc...
so you are going to put the anenometer on top of that?
or do you mean your getting wired country wireless?
(i use that myself, goes good) ;)
Willoughby
Site Admin

Manukau heads observer wrote:that looks like a wired country wireless internet connection, up on a high pole to clear trees, etc...
so you are going to put the anenometer on top of that?
or do you mean your getting wired country wireless?
(i use that myself, goes good) ;)
No not geting the internet connection.. just it's the same installer you had Brian..
Yup the anenometer will be on top of that meaning it will eventually become 19m AGL :)
Willoughby
Site Admin

Well here it is if your interested.. rising well above the Hamilton East roof lines.. it amazes me how far away you can see it :shock: :oops:
I calculated it to be 23m AGL or 80m ASL.. I wonder if it'll out-gust the airport :-k

Gary Roberts

Foggy Hamilton wrote:Well here it is if your interested.. rising well above the Hamilton East roof lines.. it amazes me how far away you can see it :shock: :oops:
I calculated it to be 23m AGL or 80m ASL.. I wonder if it'll out-gust the airport :-k
Looking awesome there Foggy!
ricky

Unread post by ricky »

looking good! :D