weather suggestions

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Weathermad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

weather suggestions

Unread post by Weathermad »

I am after some assistance if possible, regarding ideas on what to put into weather reports that I compile nationally twice a week on radio and also on on a local basis here in Canterbury

The segments are approximately four minutes each and they have been running now for nine months and the feedback has generally been of a positive nature.

To date, I have included forecasts for up to 3 or 4 days ahead, looked at current conditions, answered email correspondence and on some occasions visited listeners, so that they can put their own questions and comments forward.
In the pipeline is an idea of doing reports live from a plane or helicopter and also looking at certain tourist spots and giving reports on location too.

I consider myself more of a weather presenter and have followed meteorology with much interest but am certainly no expert or forecaster!
The reports need to be varied and interesting and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful suggestions on what these may include.

Thanks for reading to this point and look forward to any suggestions given!

Regards

Weathermad

(Richard Green)
Gary Roberts

Re: weather suggestions

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Weathermad wrote:I am after some assistance if possible...
Hmmm...well, for starters, if you're reporting weather conditions, make certain as far as possible that your sources are accurate. I know of a nationally syndicated radio outfit which gets at least some of its weather data from employees at gas stations who are reading the glass out on the forecourt.
tich

Unread post by tich »

To date, I have included forecasts for up to 3 or 4 days ahead, looked at current conditions, answered email correspondence and on some occasions visited listeners, so that they can put their own questions and comments forward.
In the pipeline is an idea of doing reports live from a plane or helicopter and also looking at certain tourist spots and giving reports on location too.

I consider myself more of a weather presenter and have followed meteorology with much interest but am certainly no expert or forecaster!
The reports need to be varied and interesting and I was wondering if anyone had any helpful suggestions on what these may include.
What you've included in your reports so far seem good. Having reports from a wide variety of locations throughout NZ is a really good idea - with commentaries that colourfully yet accurately describe what's been happening
Weathermad

weather suggestions

Unread post by Weathermad »

Thanks for your thoughts and comments...much appreciated!

I received an email yesterday regarding weather in Auckland and Christchurch and which city had the best climate...I think i'm right in saying that Auckland is warmer but Christchurch is drier and sunnier overall....How do you define 'best climate' as well??
The listener also asked if there was any rivalry between the two cities,(the Canterbury/Auckland thing!)in regards to the weather...not quite sure how to answer that one!!

Weathermad
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Weathermad wrote:Thanks for your thoughts and comments...much appreciated!

I received an email yesterday regarding weather in Auckland and Christchurch and which city had the best climate...I think i'm right in saying that Auckland is warmer but Christchurch is drier and sunnier overall....How do you define 'best climate' as well??
The listener also asked if there was any rivalry between the two cities,(the Canterbury/Auckland thing!)in regards to the weather...not quite sure how to answer that one!!

Weathermad
Rivalry? I don't think so, or at least not that I'm aware of.

Generally, because it is always damp, I describe Auckland as tropical (summers anyway), especially that first week of February: temps usually in the low 30s and humidity in the high 90s. The sweat runs from every pore and into every crevice. :shock:

In winter Auckland is clammy, and always feels a lot colder than it actually is because of that.

Christchurch can be hot and dry or cold and dry, but almost always dry, or at least when compared with Auckland.

I don't particularly wish to live in Christchurch (no offense guys!) but I'd sooner live there than Auckland, if climate and weather were the deciding factors. :D
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

There is no best climate. If there was, everyone would live there! (You can quote me on that if you like Richard). My point is, that aspects of the climate can be good or bad depending on what you want from the weather (over the year two cases stick in mind, the woman who wanted to find a climate with a low overall humidity for medical reasons, and the other woman who sought my help to find a climate with a high overall humidity, again for medical reasons!).

I think you can turn the "best" idea on its head and say that we are lucky in New Zealand to have such a wide range of climates around the country, so that rather than trying to have a one-size-fits-all "best climate", people can live where they find the climate has the best elements for them.

However, when it comes to rugby teams... ;)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Auckland would have a good climate if it wasnt for the south westerly type weather ;)

ie it would get enough rain from the ne and fine weather from the N or NW or S and even the W wind would still give us some of the Cg/Cu weather which the SW only gives low cloud
nzmaninsydney

Unread post by nzmaninsydney »

Weathermad wrote:Thanks for your thoughts and comments...much appreciated!

Weathermad
I have lived in both cities, at various times in my life, Auckland is much warmer than Christchurch, Christchurch has much less rain than Auckland, and Sunshine is pretty much the same, althought its more sunnier in Auckland in the summer and cloudier in Auckland in the winter. Christchurch has many freezing nights in Winter (I used to really hate getting out of bed on those freezing Winter mornings!). There tends be be a huge temperature range in Christchurch than Auckland, and the temperatures vary greatly from day to day in Christchurch, whereas in Auckland, it doesnt range that much. So my opinion is Auckland would have to be the best one because of the temperatures.
Daniel Rees