Holiday Storms

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Went for an afternoon drive into north Waikato, some heavy showers down that way. There was a lot of cloud cover so I saw little in the way of shower cloud tops but I did see plenty of water. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

Quite a nice bit of convergence activity in the north west Auckland region
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

spwill, good shot of an amphibious car! :lol:

Plenty of turkey towers around Auckland this afternoon/evening, couldn't quite make it into proper cb's, though some heavy showers about this evening.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Looks like there were plenty of lightning strikes south of those Bombay Hills today, some how I managed to miss the lot. :?

Saw little in the way of the shower cloud tops due to cloud cover so here's a photo of a clouds bottom. :)
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Nice stuff guys I like that one yu just posted SP :D has a threatning look to it 8) .
Nice Blue Dome day today 20C with cool NE wind very summery and some inland CU about plains.
Driving to Gore Bay for awhile today to soak up some sun 8) there looked to be some showers towards Marlborough way with some good towering CU.
Could be hot one tomorrow here.
And to top off this summers day i leave you with a nice pic.
Cheers
Jason.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

I finally got my Cb photo.
Build up to the east of the city at dusk this evening.
biscuits
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nice photo

Unread post by biscuits »

Really neat :D
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Afternoon thunderstorms turned to persistent rain from about 6pm, and it's still continuing.. much to the mockery of the MetService once again! ;) :roll:

I think the RR has zoned out on Hamilton.. as it sometimes does when there's heavy cells to the north

Instability will be left tomorrow morning, so the evening looks dry at this stage.

Great photos spwill, wish I had the camera with me today! :)
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Really nice pic.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Some Cu in our skies this morn after a clear start.
Dry at my place but earlier I could hear the roar of heavy rain on roofs. Just 400m away they had very heavy rain out of a slow moving towering Cu.
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Dont Metservice say they get the forcast right 80% of the time??
Try and make sense of these forecast for today and tomorow from metservice for CHCH??

Thursday

Max: 20°C Min: 14°C
(Day) (Night)
Increasing high cloud. Northeasterlies.

Friday

Max: 19°C Min: 15°C
(Day) (Night)
High cloud. Northwesterlies at times.

I think Tony is a little better with his forecast's of 30C today and 29C tomorow!
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Willoughby
Site Admin

03 Stormchaser wrote: I think Tony is a little better with his forecast's of 30C today and 29C tomorow!
Not too sure about thier (BlueSkies) temp forecasting for the Waikato, 28c today and 29c tomorrow! Woah LOL :lol:

Showers starting to clear now, but I think it's only going to be brief with all these large Cu about

Jan 1 is shaping up to be cloudy and hot in the upper South Island, wet with a milder change for Otago/Southland, Drizzly for the Canty coast and Wellington, Dry and warm through thhe central NI, though some afternoon sea breeze showers may be triggered about Hawke's Bay. Brief rain possible for Auckland.

Jan 2, Hot for the NI east coast, heavy rain for the Wellington region, and drizzle turns to rain in Canterbury, rain continues for Westland, Central and Upper NI only looks dry

Can't see much from this high in the bight forecast. :?
Last edited by Willoughby on Thu 29/12/2005 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Shepherds Valley WX

Metservice - possibly inaccurate?

Unread post by Shepherds Valley WX »

Met Service forecast for Auckland 29 Dec 2005:

Mostly fine, isolated showers. Sea breezes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Current Hobsonville Airfield situation is Southerly breeze with constant heavy rain, grey and overcast and warm at 22.8C. So far 10mm in less than 30 minutes. The Test cricket on SKY Digital is experiencing rain fade...again!

Midday Radar shows a isolated Heavy shower band over West/Central Auckland.

Update at 1236 - Metservice icon on there forecast site has changed from a sun behind a cloud to a cloud with a rain drop...who said they did'nt "nowcast"?? :P
Four Oaks Farm - West Taratahi AWS
RD1 Carterton (Wairarapa), Amateur Weather Observation Station
Davis VP2+ with Solar, UV and 24hr FARS and complete 1-Wire WX System
http://www.cartertonweather.org.nz
Storm Struck

Foggy said
Jan 2, Hot for the NI east coast, heavy rain for the Wellington region, and drizzle turns to rain in Canterbury, rain continues for Westland, Central and Upper NI only looks dry

Drizzle turning to rain? more like showers and possible Thunderstorms and the definition of drizzle in my terms is a light form of rain with tiny particles which soak things not drench.
Yes very right there steve I seen that about MS and thought huh :shock: this is a NW you are talking about.
24.2C here wiht light NE winds and some upper level cloud with a sundog before.
Cheers
Jason.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:Not too sure about thier (BlueSkies) temp forecasting for the Waikato, 28c today and 29c tomorrow! Woah LOL :lol:
:?
Well, it seems you got to 26 today, so I was closer than the 22 you forecast Foggy! :lol: And I still reckon you will be a degree warmer tomorrow, so I'll amend the 29 to 27.

As for Canty, the thickening high cloud just took the edge off the temps today, looks like peaking around 25-26.
spike_01

Unread post by spike_01 »

Wait until monday arrives... Blardy strong Westerlies are on the way... :shock:
Willoughby
Site Admin

TonyT wrote:
Foggy Hamilton wrote:Not too sure about thier (BlueSkies) temp forecasting for the Waikato, 28c today and 29c tomorrow! Woah LOL :lol:
:?
Well, it seems you got to 26 today, so I was closer than the 22 you forecast Foggy! :lol: And I still reckon you will be a degree warmer tomorrow, so I'll amend the 29 to 27.
I got to 25.6c with the aid of errors in solar radiation, mainly calm winds and crap sensor positioning.. The airport got to 24c. So actually umm.. ;)

24c likely again today (at the airport) under mostly cloudy westerlies, can't honestly see where you get 27c from, or 29 for that matter? :?

Drizzle turning to rain? more like showers and possible Thunderstorms and the definition of drizzle in my terms is a light form of rain with tiny particles which soak things not drench.
yes, starting to shape up nicely for Canty with those very hot temps ahead of the southerly half change :D

the term 'rain' would suggest it's falling at a moderate rate or is persistant jason..
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:24c likely again today (at the airport) under mostly cloudy westerlies, can't honestly see where you get 27c from, or 29 for that matter? :?
Got fooled by that crap Waikato weather where its always cloudy and you dont see the sun enough to bring your temperatures up! :lol:

Edit: I see several other sites in Waikato with max 24-26 yesterday, so your readings are probably not out too much, and in any case you are in the city so you should be reading 1-2deg higher than the airport.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Was predicted to be a warm dry day in Canterbury; it's still reasonably warm, but there's light spitting type rain at times in Chch today. Must be a warm front crossing the South Island or something, as I wouldn't have believed that situations like today's could easily produce preciptiation (even light stuff) here. :?
tich

Unread post by tich »

Was predicted to be a warm dry day in Canterbury; it's still reasonably warm, but there's light spitting type rain at times in Chch today.
Well it has now cleared and we're getting very warm, sunny weather. Temperature has shot up from about 25C to 29C.
Storm Struck

Ahhh 29.3C here at the moment that has shot up within the last hour or so from 24C could be a schorcher maybe 32C by 4:30pm or evn hotter.
LEEETTTT the sunshine i think iam gonna have to go to the beach.
Cheers
Jason.