NIWA's 2005 summary

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
RWood

NIWA's 2005 summary

Unread post by RWood »

http://www.niwascience.co.nz/ncc/cs/aclimsum_05.pdf

Note that the "driest" attribution (for Clyde) is only among places for which NIWA keeps rainfall records - I'm sure Andy and others could cite Alex. locations that were lower. Comments on Tekapo and Tara Hills totals should be of interest to Gary.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Under 'wind events' they didn't mention the Hamilton Tornado on September 16th. :?
tich

Unread post by tich »

Note that the "driest" attribution (for Clyde) is only among places for which NIWA keeps rainfall records - I'm sure Andy and others could cite Alex. locations that were lower.
Ditto for temperatures - there should easily have been places that recorded lower and higher temps than the official stations. BTW, imagine what temperatures would be recorded at the summit of Mt Cook if there was a (presumably automatic) station up there.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

tich wrote:
Note that the "driest" attribution (for Clyde) is only among places for which NIWA keeps rainfall records - I'm sure Andy and others could cite Alex. locations that were lower.
Ditto for temperatures - there should easily have been places that recorded lower and higher temps than the official stations. BTW, imagine what temperatures would be recorded at the summit of Mt Cook if there was a (presumably automatic) station up there.
Yeah! Like the Aussies do on their mountains. The things we lack definitely are resources and accesibility.. and there isn't really a need for this. However it would be great to see that one of Gary's.. benmore peak? :)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Remember that those outlooks are for 3-month periods - there's still time for patterns to change.
Andy

Re: NIWA's 2005 summary

Unread post by Andy »

RWood wrote:http://www.niwascience.co.nz/ncc/cs/aclimsum_05.pdf

Note that the "driest" attribution (for Clyde) is only among places for which NIWA keeps rainfall records - I'm sure Andy and others could cite Alex. locations that were lower. Comments on Tekapo and Tara Hills totals should be of interest to Gary.
For the Year 2005 i recorded 331mm

Alex gets less rain the Clyde
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
tich wrote: Ditto for temperatures - there should easily have been places that recorded lower and higher temps than the official stations. BTW, imagine what temperatures would be recorded at the summit of Mt Cook if there was a (presumably automatic) station up there.
Yeah! Like the Aussies do on their mountains. The things we lack definitely are resources and accesibility.. and there isn't really a need for this. However it would be great to see that one of Gary's.. benmore peak? :)
HAH! I have been busy on the mountain today! Watch this space...as they say. ;)