Icy weekend's frosty legacy

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
tich

Icy weekend's frosty legacy

Unread post by tich »

We had a frosty start to Monday (-5.2C ground minimum at Chch Airport), but not quite as icy this morning (though still probably frosty is some places around Chch - central city is warmed by heat island effect). Not surprisingly many orchardists around NZ have been worried, though it should've come as no surprise. Any October daytime outbreak cold enough to bring snow flurries to Wellington hill suburbs, close the Desert Road, and blanket South Otago and Southland to sea-level is bound to leave a frosty legacy if the skies clear and winds die down in the evening.

Ben
Chch
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The weekends cold outbreak was as cold as the snow event back in early July this year. Light snow fell as far north as Taumarunui.

I'm not certain the last time snow settled near sea level in Otago in the month of October but I believe it was as far back as the early 1970's which makes this a one in thirty year event. An extraordinary weather event.

I remember back in the 1980's seeing snow(not hail) lying to about 500m in early January in Otago.

Anyway, the fruit growers will be able to rest the helicopters from after tonight as temperatures over the North island are about to take a big hike, upwards. ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

The weekends cold outbreak was as cold as the snow event back in early July this year. Light snow fell as far north as Taumarunui.

I'm not certain the last time snow settled near sea level in Otago in the month of October but I believe it was as far back as the early 1970's which makes this a one in thirty year event. An extraordinary weather event.
The NZ Herald reported light snow near Taihape and Taumaranui. The latter town is only about 100 metres above sea-level, even though far inland. Snow there (in the town) would be very unusual, even in July.

I believe there was snow lying to sea-level in Otago and Southland in November 1976, during a very unseasonable cold snap with brought snowfalls to or near sea-level in many parts of the South Island (both sides of the Alps!), also snow on Wellington's hill suburbs and as far north as the outskirts of Rotorua. I've also heard of a couple of occasions in the 1960s, when snow had settled in Christchurch in October. Snow falling, but not settling, to sea-level in the south of the South Island in spring, is alot more common than snow settling.
remember back in the 1980's seeing snow(not hail) lying to about 500m in early January in Otago.
There was brief snow at these levels in Central Otago in January 1998 (as low as 300 metres in places!) and January 2000 (St Bathans area only)