"A typical 5 day forecast"

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

"A typical 5 day forecast"

Unread post by Michael »

When I hear the 5 day forecast I go

A large high is moving east today spreading a moist NE(35 kmh gusting 75) flow over the top of the country with a low and its associated front is moving on the country with thundery rain. I go "Typical"
Tommorrow the low moves across the north island and spreads a westerly flow of 40kmh with showers in most districts but mostly fine in the east. I go "The Usual"
There will be furthur activity in the showers as fronts imbedded in the flow moves east I go "Of Course"
As it moves SE a ridge in the tasman spreads a cold unstable SW flow on the country with showers in the north and west of the NI north of Taranaki but fine in the BOP and Wellington and the East. I go "thats normal"
This flow(40 kmh) will persist for the next few days with showers in western districts and especially in the north Mostly fine else where.
Dont you hate that! ;)
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Interesting analysis.
I've never thought of the weather that way but I don't live in Auckland, or have any intention to do so. The weather up there is atrocious. I can't understand why over a million people live there ???
Must be the thunderstorms !!!!!!!! :)
It can't be the weather!

JohnGaul
NZTS
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

hehe the best weather is always south of Auckland.. ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

John wrote
I can't understand why over a million people live there ???
I can't understand why Michael lives here???

:) :) :)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

If I had my choice I'd like Hawaii or some tropical island even though they get cyclones occasionally but the NE trades cuts lots of that off and the westerlies and mid latitude cyclogenisis dont reach the tropics :)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Climate has always had a big influence on where people have lived.
No question about it, half the country's population live in the four northern provinces for the milder weather. And I think the temperatures that appear on TV every night mould people's opinions of the weather at certain places. Aucklanders think Christchurch is a cold city because they see a maximum of 6C on TV (albeit winter). Wellington realised the importance of the 7pm temperature broadcast to its image and had its weather recording station moved to a warmer location. And kaikoura has there's moved into a greenhouse.

Yes it does rain alot in Auckland but atleast its relatively warm here. I like the mildness of Aucklands weather. It is generaly an easy climate to live in. And few cities have the environmental setting of Auckland.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I'm with you Michael, if I shifted out of Auckland it would be to a warmer clime. Hawaii is nice. I spent 3 weeks there once and had 32C, sunshine every day with two days of Tstorms. But thunderstorms are not very common in Hawaii. Florida would be a much better place to live. 190 days of thunder a year. :)
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Kaikoura has theirs moved into a greenhouse...........haha nice one.

Some of their temperatures are unreal for a seaside location,You would think Metservice would have certain guidelines for towns and cities.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

[quote="Deano"]Kaikoura has theirs moved into a greenhouse...........haha nice one.

The guage is probably inside a car with the windows wound up ;)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Maybe thats what was originally meant by the 'Greenhouse Effect' !!! :)

A nice day in Auckland today with a few congestus and a max of around 22C (under shade). ;)