Storm Hunters - TV1 Monday

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jrj
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Storm Hunters - TV1 Monday

Unread post by jrj »

8:35 pm - Storm Hunters (G)
This programme hitches a ride with this new breed of vacationers and adventurers as they come face to face with tornadoes, hurricanes, waterspouts and lightning. Tonight we meet a bunch of tornado chasers and a Denver-based TV cameraman who was struck by lightning as a boy and has conquered his fear by shooting spectacular images of it.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Re: Storm Hunters - TV1 Monday

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

James wrote:8:35 pm - Storm Hunters (G)
This programme hitches a ride with this new breed of vacationers and adventurers as they come face to face with tornadoes, hurricanes, waterspouts and lightning. Tonight we meet a bunch of tornado chasers and a Denver-based TV cameraman who was struck by lightning as a boy and has conquered his fear by shooting spectacular images of it.

Yes. I have book-marked this programme to watch.
I hope it is English based!
Could be useful in this bout of boring weather ;)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

There was a programme on TV a few years back like this and saw over and over this tornado they were chasing and came towards them and going over a bridge where they all huddled underneath its passing.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Michael wrote:There was a programme on TV a few years back like this and saw over and over this tornado they were chasing and came towards them and going over a bridge where they all huddled underneath its passing.
I've seen that shot about umpteen times on other programmes.
Hope this is a British programme other wise I probably won't watch it

JohnGaul
NZTS
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

looking forward to it :)
low cloud and mist here, SW wind change arrived this afternoon, easing the strong westerly we had...
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I did'nt know this programme was coming up, so thanks for the tip off.

Yes, winds have eased off. Hope this low cloud/light rain clear quickly tomorrow.
jrj

Unread post by jrj »

Have seen the trailer for the programme - the shot of the aircraft coming in to land looks suspiciously like Wellington! (I think I was on board!)
CbFan

Unread post by CbFan »

Michael wrote:There was a programme on TV a few years back like this and saw over and over this tornado they were chasing and came towards them and going over a bridge where they all huddled underneath its passing.
I know that clip has caused more than a bit of concern in the US, as people over there now consider an overbridge to be a safe refuge. The fact the the tornado was weak and passed a fair distance away from them is not mentioned - but hey, why spoil a good story?

I'll be tuning in, but as soon as I hear the first, "Then the tornado turned it's fury on the sleepy MidWestern town..." or similar - I'm heading for the remote.
Manukau heads obs

CB fan:
I saw your posting on the Weather Matrix la crosse forum (I didnt realise it was you at first)
Looks like I sold you a dud weather station ? :(
I must admit i have seen the same sort of thing with the ws2010-15 data logger and 1 temp/hum sensor I have here (which is now lifeless after 1 of the ids must have put the batteries in the wrong way around)...
now, you could try downloading the heavy weather program for the ws25000 from the heavyweather.com web site and see how that goes (or did I supply you with the heavy weather CD)?
OR, do you want my picture for a dart board?

new thingy i have going:
http://www.weather-display.com/windy/svgmesomap.htm
(and see the notes on the bottom of that web page)

would be great to get more stations on board...
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Yeah, I watched the programme. Lovely lightning shots from that photographer from Miami. Good tips too for photographing storms/lightning etc. I hope that you Aaron were tuned in.
Thank goodness they never asked me to appear on the programme as I've had lots of disappointments in my years of video-ing the weather.
Mind you I have succesfully captured a tornado funnel on film. :)
Who was the NZder guy on the programme? It's a shame he is not tuned into this forum?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Hey John

It was a pretty cool program. That guy had some awsome lightning photos and yes I saw him describing how he said he took them. I understand it all mostly but i'm still not totally sure on what apatures to use with different light conditions. For e.g. when that guy was talking to that girl (or lady, take your pic) about how long to leave the shutter open for he replied, "in these light conditions, 5 seconds", ok cool but what aqpature did he have it on? those are the things I've got to learn about and that will come with experience but with Chch's lack of night time thunderstorms that experience is going to be hard to gain. I do though have a ruff idea on apature and where to set it, we'll have to see next night time lightning storm, it might have to be a west coast one next spring perhaps.

Also, quite a few of the guys on the program had that sony camera I like, looks as if my weather radar is in tune with what others are, lol. Is this program a series?

For New Zealands amount of lightning storms John I would say you have a good collection, that tornado tape just tops it off!

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I thought that was an excellent programme. The waterspouts were of particular interest. The lightning man, David Stillings is well known and has featured on TV doc's before. His website is worth a visit.
http://www.lightningstalker.com/

Aaron, at night you can leave the camera open for a couple of minutes, provided there is no other light. At dusk, no more than a few seconds. The aperture will be wide.
Manukau heads obs

yes some good footage...some i have seen before...some they repeated, but lots of new footage...
it reminded me of a water spout we spotted off the coast here one day in a light WSW wind, december time, with soaring cumulus cloud above it (not even big enough for a anvil yet) but no rain...the funnel only came down not even 1/3 to the water, but there was a dark round area on the water surface below the funnel.....it was bit like those ones on the program (a mini version), i.e it developed becuase the updraughts were so strong...
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Watched it last night it least it wasn't boring like a lot of these programmes often are
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

While on the topic of waterspouts.

This funnel was observed back in the late 1980's over Pakuranga, Auckland one December morning. I can't remember the exact date. Photo was taken by the NZ herald I believe. I also observed this funnel, It lasted about 15 minutes. Developed over the Waitemata Harbour as a water spout. ;)

I have seen a number of funnels since but haven't managed to photograph one myself.

tich

Unread post by tich »

While waterspouts maybe defined as tornadoes that form over water, the ones shown on TV last night seemed to develop from clouds that, while they did look unstable and cb like, were forming in conditions that looked far more benign than those that spawn land tornadoes. I think you usually need strong thunderstorm activity for tornadoes.

All in all, a really good programme. Those lightning shots were particularly spectacular.
Manukau heads obs

nice photo ...
i think the key with the waterspouts is the heat energy that is supplied from the evaporation from the water surface, i.e the latent heat....
and i would guess that the windspeeds would be less than a full blown land tornado....as it would take as much wind to pick up salt spray and form a funnel CLOUD...

:)
jrj

Unread post by jrj »

Another episode next Monday.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

James wrote:Another episode next Monday.
Is there?
I thought it was a one off programme?

JohnGaul
NZTS
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thanks James, I'm looking foward to next monday.

Cool water spout pic Steven, that's the biggest funnel / tornado / water spout type thing I've ever seen from a NZ storm. These others you've observed beforehand, were any bigger than that?

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote: Who was the NZder guy on the programme? It's a shame he is not tuned into this forum?

JohnGaul
NZTS
The guy is Geoff Mackley - he has a site http://www.geoffmackley.com/

He is on a scanner mailing list I belong to.

Cheers,

G
tich

Unread post by tich »

The 2nd episode was really good as well. I can fully understand the disappointment of those who missed out on finding their storm. BTW, has anyone else on this forum heard about a phenomona called clear air lightning? This is lightning coming out of a clear blue sky! Yes it has occured and I belive people have actually been killed by it (in America).