Monday 12th: Severe Gales, Snow and Storms

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

kiwisk8er wrote:Hi,

Well here in Dunedin its still really cold this morning. Theres snow on the hills and state highway 1 north is closed. Hopefully my weatherstation will finally be on the internet tonight.

The mother in law rang up from Chch last night wanting to know how much snow we had as she had heard somewhere that we had heaps. Nope no snow at all just really cold. I don't know where she was getting her info from. She does this each time snow is mentioned during winter and it drives us nuts :roll:
Link? Would to see it
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
kiwisk8er

Unread post by kiwisk8er »

Fujita Phil wrote:
kiwisk8er wrote:Hi,

Well here in Dunedin its still really cold this morning. Theres snow on the hills and state highway 1 north is closed. Hopefully my weatherstation will finally be on the internet tonight.

The mother in law rang up from Chch last night wanting to know how much snow we had as she had heard somewhere that we had heaps. Nope no snow at all just really cold. I don't know where she was getting her info from. She does this each time snow is mentioned during winter and it drives us nuts :roll:
Link? Would to see it
Hi,

I sent you a PM but here is the address:
http://dunedinweather.stroppykitten.com/weather.cgi

We are still working on it so any suggestions on content would be good.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

kiwisk8er wrote: http://dunedinweather.stroppykitten.com/weather.cgi

Good stuff!
Some suggestions..
Change upload time to 15 mins.. that will chew your bandwidth like anything.. maybe less emphasis on indoor temperature/humidity? (Seems to be taking over a wee bit)

Other than that, it's looking quite tidy.. picking up some reputable gusts even! Maybe even try other ws software to combine graphs.. clean them up/make relevant, like freewx or weather display, which has a free trial.

Cheers :)
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:
kiwisk8er wrote: http://dunedinweather.stroppykitten.com/weather.cgi

Good stuff!
Some suggestions..
Change upload time to 15 mins...

Good suggestion from Foggy...I started out with 1 minute uploads until I discovered the WMO standard is 10 minutes, so now that's what all my station are set to.

It's a really nice site though. What OS, software, and hardware are you running, kiwisk8er?
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Gary Roberts wrote:
Foggy Hamilton wrote: Good stuff!
Some suggestions..
Change upload time to 15 mins...

Good suggestion from Foggy...I started out with 1 minute uploads until I discovered the WMO standard is 10 minutes, so now that's what all my station are set to.

It's a really nice site though. What OS, software, and hardware are you running, kiwisk8er?
Where's your temp sensor situated? And do you have it inside a screen of sorts? It is a warm day as such (my temp in Opoho is currently around 12C) but your high seems a little high.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
kiwisk8er

Unread post by kiwisk8er »

Thanks for the tips, my husband is doing all the computer stuff so I'll pass the info on to him.

The weather station is a La Crosse 3600 (its the most I could get with the money we had). The data is being collected with a Mac mini running Mac OS X.3.9 and open3600 (which my husband played with to get it running with OSX). We already had the mac mini so we didn't want another computer running in the office 24 hours a day. The problem is that pretty much all of the weather station software doesn't run on the mac, so we just had to do it ourselves.

Yeah I don't have a temp sensor screen as yet, just the one that came with the weather station which is why it looks warmer than it really is. I've seen some ones I could make that have instructions on the internet, but I've just been to busy at work.

Its a work in progress really. Please keep the suggestions coming.
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

kiwisk8er wrote:Thanks for the tips...
I've said it before here, and I'll say it again: unless you're a researcher, or seriously wealthy, there's no point spending lots of money on overpriced consumer-grade weather stations when you can buy inexpensive ones (such as your LaCrosse) which will perform just as well, generally. So I think you've done okay.

The website looks pretty good to me. The tables work well, and it's all easy on the eye, and loads quickly, something many weather software-generated pages don't do, even on fast connections.

The WMO standard (?) for weather station uploads is ten minutes, so if your station/server is uploading more frequently than that then you should take Foggy's tip and decrease the rate.

And Phil is 100% correct: definitely try to source a good Stevenson Screen, it'll make a huge difference.

I like your site, and it's great to see Apple and OSX-based stations represented too! :)
squid

Unread post by squid »

very nice weather site