Aftermath 13 June on after winterstorm

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Flutterbye
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Flutterbye »

Gary Roberts wrote:
Flutterbye wrote: I would be too ;)
What's your address, Flutterbye? When I've finished shoveling the snow out of my driveway (and street), I'll ship it down to you if you like.

:lol: ;) :twisted:
=D> :lol: :lol:

Nah I would like fresh not used ;) :lol:
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Flutterbye - have checked some NIWA Digest reports from winter 1996 (the last one that could genuinely be described as cold for NZ - even then, though it was colder than the 30-year mean, it was only equal to the 140-year mean from the whole temp. series) - there were heavy snowfalls in Southland and some of Otago from a "bitterly cold polar southerly outbreak" (definitely not the westerly type) at the start of July. These were followed by a quick clearance with a 1040 centred a bit south of the mainland. Temps in Southland dropped to between -8 and -12 on the 3rd/4th (-9 around In'gill). On a least 2 days in Invercargill, for example, maxima didn't get above 1c-3C under brilliant sun and heavy snow cover. It was the coldest July on record for a number of stations.

[But note: a different (westerly) type of snow event in the south in June 1968 had quite different outcomes - putting that in another thread]
Flutterbye

RWood wrote:Flutterbye - have checked some NIWA Digest reports from winter 1996 (the last one that could genuinely be described as cold for NZ - even then, though it was colder than the 30-year mean, it was only equal to the 140-year mean from the whole temp. series) - there were heavy snowfalls in Southland and some of Otago from a "bitterly cold polar southerly outbreak" (definitely not the westerly type) at the start of July. These were followed by a quick clearance with a 1040 centred a bit south of the mainland. Temps in Southland dropped to between -8 and -12 on the 3rd/4th (-9 around In'gill). On a least 2 days in Invercargill, for example, maxima didn't get above 1c-3C under brilliant sun and heavy snow cover. It was the coldest July on record for a number of stations.

[But note: a different (westerly) type of snow event in the south in June 1968 had quite different outcomes - putting that in another thread]

That snow may have come up from the south RWood but it fell from the sky from the WNW - I was out in and and can clearly remember :D Straight southerlies normally give us a few pathetic flurries at the most.
:(

If we were to get snowfall again I would certainly like it to melt after a couple of days without any frosts. ;)
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

RWood wrote:Flutterbye - have checked some NIWA Digest reports from winter 1996 (the last one that could genuinely be described as cold for NZ - even then, though it was colder than the 30-year mean, it was only equal to the 140-year mean from the whole temp. series) - there were heavy snowfalls in Southland and some of Otago from a "bitterly cold polar southerly outbreak" (definitely not the westerly type) at the start of July. These were followed by a quick clearance with a 1040 centred a bit south of the mainland. Temps in Southland dropped to between -8 and -12 on the 3rd/4th (-9 around In'gill). On a least 2 days in Invercargill, for example, maxima didn't get above 1c-3C under brilliant sun and heavy snow cover. It was the coldest July on record for a number of stations.

Yes that was the last cold winter here.

The shotover river froze over for the first time in a hundred years....hmm i think!
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Andy wrote:Yes that was the last cold winter here.

The shotover river froze over for the first time in a hundred years....hmm i think!
You're so old that you can barely remember that now?

;) :D :twisted: :P
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

RWood wrote:On a slightly more localised scale the snowfall at the end of June 1968 (after a mild damp month) was followed by severe frosts and some places, most notably Tara Hills among the Metservice stations, had a very cold aftermath in July. Will post some comments and data taken from Gazette supplement later today when I dig them out.
Here's some stuff from NZ Gazette climat. table reports (the old monthly supplement). [Note: June 1968 was not mild in the south as I guessed above - it was slightly cooler]

June 1968: 25th - 30th - strong NW to SW winds, several troughs crossing country, snow to low levels in some parts from 27th, especially around Queenstown.

July 1968: Antiyclonic in south, easterlies in north, wet in Gisborne/Hawkes Bay. "In Southland, Otago and inland South Canterbury temperatures were 2F-5F below average, with greatest departures in the high country, where it was the coldest month since July 1938"

"The snowfalls on the last 4 days of June on the high country of both islands and to low levels in the South Island persisted for the first 4 days of July...Frosty conditions, especially during the first half of the month, allowed little opportunity for the snow to melt over the greater part of the South Island. On the hills to the SW of Mossburn at an altitude of about 2000ft the depth was reported as 2 ft, and 10 ft in the drifts, and it remained frozen there for 3 weeks"

"Very severe conditions were experienced, even at quite low altitudes where snow cover persisted. For example, Tara Hills at 1600 ft (488M) haqd snow lying on the ground the whole month, never less than 5.5 inches in depth. The mean temp of 23.2F (-4.9C) was the lowest ever recorded in New Zealand below an altitude of 3000 ft. On 8 days the temperature failed to reach 32F (0C), the lowest maximum being 20F (-6.7C) on the 14th. The air temperature fell below 0F (-17.8C) on the 6th, 7th and 14th"

(All this with ample sunshine of 143 hrs there!!)

Interestingly in August, temperatures were 0.5C - 1.5C warmer than average almost everywhere, but the late melt at Tara Hills gave it a 0.8C deficit for August.
Gary Roberts

RWood wrote:"Tara Hills weather station info..."
GAD! That's only a few kms from my house! :shock:
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Flutterbye wrote:

That snow may have come up from the south RWood but it fell from the sky from the WNW - I was out in and and can clearly remember :D Straight southerlies normally give us a few pathetic flurries at the most.

If we were to get snowfall again I would certainly like it to melt after a couple of days without any frosts. ;)
I suspect that when they say "southerly" that covers a whole quadrant, so the flow hitting your coasts there could have been pretty close to SW - perhaps you get some realigning effect to make it come in from the WNW?! :-k
Flutterbye

RWood wrote:
Flutterbye wrote:

I suspect that when they say "southerly" that covers a whole quadrant, so the flow hitting your coasts there could have been pretty close to SW - perhaps you get some realigning effect to make it come in from the WNW?! :-k
That must be it RWood. :D
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

I reckon if we did ever get snow in Auckland it would be from the circular wrapping of a front with a small low and variable winds primararly local S or SSW
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

RWood wrote:
RWood wrote:On a slightly more localised scale the snowfall at the end of June 1968 (after a mild damp month) was followed by severe frosts and some places, most notably Tara Hills among the Metservice stations, had a very cold aftermath in July. Will post some comments and data taken from Gazette supplement later today when I dig them out.
Here's some stuff from NZ Gazette climat. table reports (the old monthly supplement). [Note: June 1968 was not mild in the south as I guessed above - it was slightly cooler]

June 1968: 25th - 30th - strong NW to SW winds, several troughs crossing country, snow to low levels in some parts from 27th, especially around Queenstown.

July 1968: Antiyclonic in south, easterlies in north, wet in Gisborne/Hawkes Bay. "In Southland, Otago and inland South Canterbury temperatures were 2F-5F below average, with greatest departures in the high country, where it was the coldest month since July 1938"

"The snowfalls on the last 4 days of June on the high country of both islands and to low levels in the South Island persisted for the first 4 days of July...Frosty conditions, especially during the first half of the month, allowed little opportunity for the snow to melt over the greater part of the South Island. On the hills to the SW of Mossburn at an altitude of about 2000ft the depth was reported as 2 ft, and 10 ft in the drifts, and it remained frozen there for 3 weeks"

"Very severe conditions were experienced, even at quite low altitudes where snow cover persisted. For example, Tara Hills at 1600 ft (488M) haqd snow lying on the ground the whole month, never less than 5.5 inches in depth. The mean temp of 23.2F (-4.9C) was the lowest ever recorded in New Zealand below an altitude of 3000 ft. On 8 days the temperature failed to reach 32F (0C), the lowest maximum being 20F (-6.7C) on the 14th. The air temperature fell below 0F (-17.8C) on the 6th, 7th and 14th"

(All this with ample sunshine of 143 hrs there!!)

Interestingly in August, temperatures were 0.5C - 1.5C warmer than average almost everywhere, but the late melt at Tara Hills gave it a 0.8C deficit for August.
Funny enough, I was talking to a colleague this morning and she told me of the big snow fall of 68' when she was a kid in Queenstown. She was 9 years old and recalled her dad towing skiers behind their volkswagon through town. She said she had some photos so I asked her to bring them in. If she does I'll scan and post them.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Flutterbye wrote:
RWood wrote: I suspect that when they say "southerly" that covers a whole quadrant, so the flow hitting your coasts there could have been pretty close to SW - perhaps you get some realigning effect to make it come in from the WNW?! :-k
A possible notion - the presence of Stewart Island and Foveaux strait "narrowing" might do some realigning.. :-k

That must be it RWood. :D
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Gary Roberts wrote:
RWood wrote:"Tara Hills weather station info..."
GAD! That's only a few kms from my house! :shock:
I imagine the last thing you want is more snow this coming weekend - fingers crossed.

I also just remembered the late-season snowstorm in Nov 1967 (a month otherwise dominated by turbulent NW conditions) - a sudden case of undercutting SE flow produced large falls in the Mackenzie and other areas. The temp anomalies for the month were only slightly negative (or close to zero) north of a line from about Greymouth to Ch'ch - south of that line they were strongly negative, especially in the snow-affected parts. The Hermitage was 4.2C below normal and many places were noticeably cooler than in October.

Just a couple of weeks later in early December Fairlie (I think) had a 28C day and a warm humid December was followed by weak short-lived La Nina-like conditions with a very dry and sunny February.

What happened in the March & April following has been well-covered already...
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

If you are still having any misapprehensions about the seriousness of this event look no further than todays Timaru herald to see the ongoing impact of this severe storm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/timaruhera ... 10,00.html
Christchurch Rocks
Flutterbye

Correct me if I'm wrong but I presume the big blue patches are where the snow is still lying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gary Roberts

Flutterbye wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I presume the big blue patches are where the snow is still lying.
Not a lot of the recent snow has gone yet, Flutterbye. There's still heaps of it on the ground around here.
Flutterbye

Gary Roberts wrote:
Flutterbye wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I presume the big blue patches are where the snow is still lying.
Not a lot of the recent snow has gone yet, Flutterbye. There's still heaps of it on the ground around here.
That's what I figured going by the large area that's blue. If I could I would gladly have taken some off your hands :)
janewaystv

Unread post by janewaystv »

Michael wrote:I reckon if we did ever get snow in Auckland it would be from the circular wrapping of a front with a small low and variable winds primararly local S or SSW
I have heard that it has never snowed in Auckland northwards. Seeing that Auckland and Northland get a lot of rain during the winters, is it possible that once the snow heads up north, its too warm in Northland/Auckland, so the snow turns to rain instead??
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

If I recall correctly Ereck Brenstrum said that snow showers were recorded up to Cape Reinga in July 1939.
janewaystv

RWood wrote:If I recall correctly Ereck Brenstrum said that snow showers were recorded up to Cape Reinga in July 1939.
Thanks for that, I looked in the big book that my grand-father gave me, it has got month-by month NZ weather summaries starting from 1909.

Here is what was said for July 1939:-

Cold southerly winds prevailed with frequent and widespread hail/snowfalls, being particulary heavy in the South Island and even extending to the whole of the North Island although not so severe in the Northland/Auckland region, however snow showers were reported in parts of those regions, some places reporting that it was the first time snow had fallen in living memory.

Extremely heavy snowfalls were reported over Otago and Southland, particulary around Dunedin. Deep drifts were reported in Southland/Otago where sheep and pastures were hidden for many days to weeks.

Day time temperatures were very low, in some places, being the coldest July since records commenced. Some places experienced "ice-days" where the maximum failed to rise above freezing point.
janewaystv

July 1918

Found this summary about July 1918, thought would type it down for you folks as it sounds very interesting.

July 1918 proved one of the coldest and stormiest winter months experienced for many years. Rainfall, however was not excessive, totals above the average only being recorded north of Auckland and in the Wanganui, North canterbury and Otago districts.

Atmospheric disturbances were so numerous that hardly a day passed without one either enveloping or being within effective distance of the Dominion.

The most severe storm was one which ruled between the 15th and 24th and which caused a widespread snowfall between the 19th and 22nd. Very stormy weather with south-west gales was experienced generally about this time and snow was recorded at many places in the North Island, especially heavy in the lower half, where it had not occurred since August 1904.
Gary Roberts

Re: July 1918

janewaystv wrote:Now you can see why I hate high pressure systems with W winds, they bring nothing but sunshine/clear days/nights which then leads to evil, horrible, miserable and depressing droughts-we want RAIN-lots and lots and lots of it.
I like clear nights.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

So do I!