Boring Weather Ahead

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Boring Weather Ahead

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Looks like a boring week of weather to come as contrast to the recent weather we have been getting.
I like this from MetService's short weather forecast for tomorrow for Canterbury and Otago:
Canterbury and Otago
Mainly fine weather. However, watch out for isolated showers and the odd thunderstorm, about midday or in the afternoon, south of Banks Peninsula.
I hope the NZTS members are out in force ... watching!
...or better still, why don't they say . "Have cameras ready etc" !!!

Today was an interesting day. I recorded a miminum of 20C here overnight and was quite surprised to get my readings at 9am to find that the temperature in my screen was 29C.
It peaked at 31.4C for today.
Apparently it became very windy here later on.
I wasn't here as we had a morris dancing engagement at the Lily Day the home of Sir John and Lady Ackland at Mt Peel in south Canterbury.
It was windy there as well and warm. I took my video camera with me just incase but it was basically a 'blue-dome day' even with the southerly during the afternoon so no thunderstorm activity looked likely.
It was sort of more sea-breeze-ish the southerly driving back to Christchurch.

Anyway I'll 'watch out for odd showers and the isolated thunderstorm" for tomorrow and report back tomorrow night :) or :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

...by the way I see that Blue Skies Weather on Fencepost.com , hasn't been updated since Friday.
Tony T etc Where are you ?? :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Re: Boring Weather Ahead

Unread post by Michael »

[quote="NZ Thunderstorm Soc"]Looks like a boring week of weather to come as contrast to the recent weather we have been getting.

South Westerlies are as boring as hell ;)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes John,

Hopefully things perk up later on in the day, Mayby into the night? I'm just a little worried this system will pass to far to the east to be of any use here in Chch, we'll have to see.

It was rather windy here at Southshore and I could see the smoke from the Halswell fire but didn't relise that's what it was at the time.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Its terrible weather here this morning for the time of the year especially after the last 3 or 4 days with a SW 100% cloud and Rain :(
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

[quote="NZ Thunderstorm Soc"]...by the way I see that Blue Skies Weather on Fencepost.com , hasn't been updated since Friday.
Tony T etc Where are you ?? :(

The Interwoven server Fencepost uses has broken, so we cant update any of their files. They hope to get it fixed today. All working 100% this end. If you are missing us that much you could always check out http://www.ats.co.nz for a Mid Canterbury perspective.

Probably too windy for any good TS development over eastern Canty today I would say, but dont discount Tuesday, with a colder SW flow developing. Could be some storms over the ranges today though.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Northwesterlies got very strong and gusty at times near Akaroa yesterday, before the 'cooler' (drop from low 30s to low 20s) change in the afternoon. I noticed some haze later in afternoon - presumably from the major fires west of Chch.
Mainly fine weather. However, watch out for isolated showers and the odd thunderstorm, about midday or in the afternoon, south of Banks Peninsula.
The word 'isolated', must be stressed (also the word 'possible' as mentioned in a differently worded forecast). South of Banks Peninsula? Reminds me of the Oct 31 thunderstorm, which, thanks to the flow being westerly not southwesterly, moved offshore to the south of the peninsula. Is today meant to stay in a westerly flow? Tomorrow should see a colder* southerly change, so any storm should be more likely to move northwards. Anyway, the latest MetService, forecast, while continuing to forecast isolated t'storms for Canterbury this afternoon, now only predicts some coastal cloud for Canterbury tomorrow.

* Long-range (12.30) National Radio forecast yesterday mentioned the likelihood of snow flurries to as low as 500 or 600 metres in the far south on Tuesday.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The weather here is about 18c 8/8 and a moderate SSW currently Should get even cooler as it swings to the SW and rises to gale force
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

Cheers for that link Tony,now on my favorites.

Nothing exciting happening around these parts,some Cu build up over Methven that wont come to much,also some cloud to the south which I will keep an eye on.Looks like some more action as far as clouds go south of Oamaru looking at the 4.00pm sat picture.

Later.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Met Services 2:32pm forecast

Canterbury
Mostly fine. However, isolated showers likely until this evening, with the odd thunderstorm possible near the coast.

Yeah, I'm getting exhausted chasing them :(

JohnGaul
NZTS
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

If the upper air sounding from Invercargill was anything to go by, thunderstorms with hail, were a possibility in Canterbury today. Upper air over Invercargill is quite cold which can be a good indication for convection in Canterbury at this time of year. However, the missing ingredient was an onshore breeze to bring in some moisture. The land breeze down there today with its extremely low humidity made convection impossible.

The models for next weekend have 'thunderstorms with hail' written all over them for Canterbury. Hopefully the dry westerly does not steal the show. One to watch. ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

The change has reached Chch about an hour or so ago - barometer is rising and temperature dropping. (not really cold, but a cooler than it has been today) Scatttered cloud about; might be something developing well to the east, but hard to see that far in central Chch's urban jungle of tall buildings and big English trees. Aaron, you should have a better view, if anything develops this evening.
CbFan

Unread post by CbFan »

About Time! :)

We finally got to see some of this convection that the rest of the country has been hogging all week! No TS special effects, rain or winds, but some nice displays of cold air sinks, updraughts, downdraughts and a sluggish rotation. One very scrawny, wispy shortlived FC but cheap digicam couldn't define it in the final image, and it wasn't really worth the effort anyway.

Honour is satisfied, although you lot could have sent your leftovers up here a bit sooner.... ;)
The sender of this email is 100% Non-Astraphobic, Keraunophobic, Lilapsophobic, Antlophobic or Nephophobic !
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

tich wrote:.... but hard to see that far in central Chch's urban jungle of tall buildings and big English trees. Aaron, you should have a better view, if anything develops this evening.
Christchurch has buildings??? :) Perhaps you can see their only 1 set of traffic lights in cashel st! ;) :)
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Yes I can see the scattered cloud (earlier anyway, it's dark now). Earlier in the day there was some Cu about which looked promising but it hasn't come to much, perhaps something might still come during the night? When looking out to sea earlier on I could see which looked like rain falling from clouds but no lightning, I'm not even sure any Cb's have formed around canterbury today apart from some big Cu which may have gone to Cb inland today, if anything it was very short lived. A warm day here in Chch. If I here any crakles on the radio I'll have a look outside but if not......oh well.

Another FC Pete! How do you get so lucky up there? As I can see from your post it seemed very small, mayby enough to lift your hat of your head if standing underneath it?..hehe. It seems this batch of convection Pete has been a North Island affair, I say.....Send it down here! I'm sure a storm is waiting for my digi to arrive!

If you guys want to see some really awsome sat pics of NZ go to australiasevereweather.com and then click on "links" (something like that), then click on Satellite images and then scroll down and look for a link saying "MODIS", the rest is self explanatory. It can be quite hard to find a pic of NZ at times, the seem to be around 2 - 3.30 UTC on the aqua modis thing. If you want more info just speak out. They also can take a long time to load if you look at the really big 250m (whatever that means?) resolution images.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Boring alright
High in the tasman gradually moving NE as it arrives Strong SW flow over the north and low cloud scattered randomly across the sky this morning with a concentrated band to the west readying itself for gales later as the day progresses :(
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Now getting ready to start raining here now with the nimbostratus look now :(
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Did the forecast mention rain in it last night. Its horizontal wind blown rain currently
CbFan

Unread post by CbFan »

:(

Back to clear skies, zero wind and another day with the tar literally running off the road and pooling in puddles! Why the heck don't Transit use a higher m.p. tar for up here???

Aaron, the FC wasn't much more than a couple of twists before it collapsed. I'll email you the shot, but as I said, it suffered the fate of a cheap digital camera (Now, if I could only get a Nikon 5700....;)

Hot, Still, Boring...... :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pete from the weatherless North, where gales never blow, rain never pours and the sun shines all day with not a cloud in the sky.
(Sorry Michael, couldn't resist ;)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Currently listening to ZB (1080AM) here and Paul Holmes when mentioning the weather as to the cloud and the cricket in Hamilton too saying Hpefully the cloud burns off,praying for fine weather with a chuckle etc.Rain may not be much.... ;)
tich

Unread post by tich »

A few spits in Chch this morning. 7AM radar showed more significant shower activity over Banks Peninsula.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Another blue dome day here in Central :)

With a light southerly
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Its more than 20knots here than the forecast says Its like a fan blowing over ice through a wind tunnel :( and almost gale force at times now
tich

Unread post by tich »

This morning's cool gusty southerly in Chch is a big change from yesterday's hot northwesterly. Cloudy, but dry. (brief spits only in the early morning)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Just been blowing its guts out in Auckland today and rather cold after last week