Another icy blast from Friday 16th to Monday 19th June

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

03Stormchaser wrote:
NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:The high to the south should hopefully maintain itself to be a backbone to the low around the Gisborne area...
... but high pressure over NZ will make this coming event a bit of a disapointment as far as any n more snow goes.

JohnGaul
NZTS
Lets just wait and see.... ;)

Just wait and SEE

JohnGaul
NZTS
squid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

yep just wait and see :D ;)
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Razor wrote:Weather warnings all over the show now. Is anyone willing to stick there neck out and predict snow up high in the Kaimai/ Coromandel vicinity?
I'd like to say you heard it first here!!!! :P
Christchurch Rocks
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

latest model from metvuw has the low (and not as deep either) being west of the NI and then moving slowly east from there
and the high not digging so far south
and so will not be so bad...
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

squid wrote:yep just wait and see :D ;)
My crystal ball is iced up right now so I can't see much.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

I'll stick to my original predictions...if you want big snow the central NI is going to be the place to be with this one
Christchurch Rocks
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Razor wrote:I'll stick to my original predictions...if you want big snow the central NI is going to be the place to be with this one
:cry: I've just come down with the flu, and of course I'll be working, but I'd love to be down there for it. I'm sure I will get a suitable chance later in the season. This time I'd better remember to put the chains and the shovel in the boot though.
Gary Roberts

tgsnoopy wrote:
Razor wrote:I'll stick to my original predictions...if you want big snow the central NI is going to be the place to be with this one
:cry: I've just come down with the flu, and of course I'll be working...
Tell your bosses that in Japan it's illegal for people to go to work if they're unwell. Demand equality with the Japanese! ;)
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

Unfortunately the buck stops here. It was only a couple of weeks ago I sent our admin girl home telling her we didn't want her flu, needless to say I got a ribbing today. I would dearly love to be able to take it easy and stay in bed. Mind you, I did have Friday off to go to the field days :)
tich

Unread post by tich »

Rotorua had its coldest June day on record yesterday.

http://www.dailypost.co.nz/localnews/st ... ubsection=
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I thought yesterday was about as cold as it could get in Auckland. Don't recall the exact high. I see a forecast minimum for AK tonight of 1C.
I don't recall a forecast minimum this low before. However, I think the min here will be about 4C.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The min temp in Auckland was 7C, not the 1C as forecast by Met Service.
Manukau heads obs

just echoed that on another post, oops

i see canty rain radar shows some rain, but does not look too bad...
is it snowing in canty this morning?
about 4.5oC in the places i checked on...
so maybe just some sleet and snow in CHCH
but there will be snow in inland canty though...? (again)
looks like it will clear, but the cloud sheet is intensifying on the sat sequence, at the moment, so it might get a bit worse before it gets better....(that happens in canty)
evltre

Unread post by evltre »

light rain here in Lincoln - and really grey and dismal and cold but no snow. Wind is cold.....brrrrr (well it FEELS cold....no wisecracks from the hardy southerns please - I know I'm a wimp but my blood is still north island thin :lol: :lol: ) I just asked this on the heavy snow thread - but I'll ask here too - anyone keeping an eye on things have any opinions on how it's looking for the ChCh / Lincoln area - Hubby has a massive national meeting at work tomorrow morning and heaps of people are supposed to be flying in for 9am - fingers crossed the airport is open!
Manukau heads obs

it will be the colder air that is coming up in the SSE behind the low moving up the west coast, arriving 2 nite, that might cause snow overnight...
but it will only be snow showers....i doubt that will be enough to close the airport....but i am no expert
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

One degree in Invercargill at 0900. Sleet showers out of shallow Cb's . Calm.
Aussie2005

Unread post by Aussie2005 »

Article from the Malaysian Star

New Zealand hit by second icy blast in 11 days

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - Snow, ice and some flooding swept across central New Zealand on Thursday - closing major highways, roads and country schools as several regions were hit by a second wintry blast in 11 days.

As the fresh southerly storm rolled in from Antarctica, weather forecasters warned conditions which saw temperatures plummet to -12 C (-53 F) in inland South Island would likely continue for several days.

Homeowners reported water pipes bursting as they froze.

"It's the worst start to winter for several years,'' Meteorological Service forecaster Ramon Oosterkamp said.

"This system has no warming trend so freezing temperatures are much lower than normal,'' he said, adding that up to 50 centimeters (20 inches) of snow could fall on North Island's east coast region in the 24 hours to mid-afternoon Friday.

Fresh snow was being dumped Thursday on the central South Island region, which is still covered in several centimeters (inches) of frozen snow from earlier falls. There were no reports of new damage to power and communication systems, emergency officials said.

Roads and mountain passes were closed by the snow and ice - leaving up to 2,000 houses without power or phone services for the 11th consecutive day. Residents were using generators and wood fires for cooking and other basic services.

Army troops and air force helicopters had "raised their level of readiness'' to respond to the latest icy blast if needed, said Jon Mitchell, emergency management planner in the Canterbury region.

"If people ... are still without electricity or their water supply has frozen, they should contact their local authorities and ask for assistance,'' he said.

On North Island, main highways through the central region were cut by snow and icy conditions, stranding trucks and cars.

Drivers and passengers had to be rescued from more than a dozen trapped vehicles, authorities said.

A hill highway north of the capital, Wellington, was blocked by snow and rock falls, while another slip closed a city tunnel for several hours over night.

Surface flooding had cut a second main highway to the north, police said.-AP
gllitz

Unread post by gllitz »

Hmmmmm...my math is a bit sketchy at best when it comes to converting deg Cent to degrees F, but surely,

As the fresh southerly storm rolled in from Antarctica, weather forecasters warned conditions which saw temperatures plummet to -12 C (-53 F) in inland South Island would likely continue for several days.

-12C != -53F !!! :? :? :?

I thought the conversion was DEG(f) = 9/5 C + 32 ???

My calculations give me 10 F...that sounds more realstic to me than -53F...if it were THAT cold cars would not be moving.......period. ;)

EDIT: Yeah, I'm a nerd, I admit that freely........
Gary Roberts

gllitz wrote:Hmmmmm...my math is a bit sketchy at best when it comes to converting deg Cent to degrees F, but surely,

-12C != -53F !!! :? :? :?

I thought the conversion was DEG(f) = 9/5 C + 32 ???

My calculations give me 10 F...that sounds more realstic to me than -53F...if it were THAT cold cars would not be moving.......period. ;)

EDIT: Yeah, I'm a nerd, I admit that freely........
-12° C = 10.4° F

"To convert from C to F multiply by 1.8 and add 32"