Cold Anticyclone....brrrrrrrrrr

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
evltre
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by evltre »

Gary Roberts wrote:
evltre wrote:Lincoln - Our pipes froze this morning! No hot shower to defrost for us! I've never seen anything like it - it looked like snow again!
You should get a wetback... ;) :)
We do have one - but I think the freeze was from the pressure tank outside (we're on well water) to the house, I had hot water, but no pressure to pump it through - at least I think that was what was happening? :? This is our first winter here in the south island so we're newbies when it comes to chilliness! You should have seen me trying to defrost my car this morning with no water to hose it down with!
Gary Roberts

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

evltre wrote:You should have seen me trying to defrost my car this morning with no water to hose it down with!
Grab a small jar, one with a lid that has a slight rim around it (so that if you pressed it against your skin it'd leave a small ring)...use that against the ice on your windshield: it won't stand a chance! The circular shape and the raised edge is way the heck more efficient and effective than those useless freebie rectangular scrapers you get from garages and places, and is fast...I don't even bother with water now, even on thick ice.
sw_windbow

Unread post by sw_windbow »

Some frost pics from about 8am in Dunedin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sw_windbow

drat. Heres the one I meant.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
evltre

Unread post by evltre »

Gary Roberts wrote:
evltre wrote:You should have seen me trying to defrost my car this morning with no water to hose it down with!
Grab a small jar, one with a lid that has a slight rim around it (so that if you pressed it against your skin it'd leave a small ring)...use that against the ice on your windshield: it won't stand a chance! The circular shape and the raised edge is way the heck more efficient and effective than those useless freebie rectangular scrapers you get from garages and places, and is fast...I don't even bother with water now, even on thick ice.
Thanks for the fab tip Gary - I'll try it on tomorrow mornings effort (as i'm sure there will be another one!) In Auckland we were lucky to get 3-4 light frosts a year - never seen anything like this morning!!!! :)
squid

Unread post by squid »

whos up for ice skating :D ;)
sw_windbow

me

theres a street in Caversham where i'm working at the moment, and its frosted all day. Its very steep and car-free while the frost is there.

In my steel-cap boots with a small run-up i can skate about 15 metres down this street. For some reason i can run up the street but can't walk up or i'll slip back down. ?
Gary Roberts

Re: me

sw_windbow wrote:In my steel-cap boots with a small run-up i can skate about 15 metres down this street.
Video please.
For some reason i can run up the street but can't walk up or i'll slip back down. ?
Some friction coefficient thingee?
GraemeWi

Unread post by GraemeWi »

SDG - Speed Defies Gravity....

or so it says on my MTB seat!
Gary Roberts

GraemeWi wrote:SDG - Speed Defies Gravity....

or so it says on my MTB seat!
Heh.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Re "black frosts" - the sort of thing I saw in Chicago when intensely cold Canadian air would follow a frontal passage. Its dryness would quickly remove any whiteness from snow or rain residues and there would remain very cold clear air, deceptive for those not used to it - any breeze at all and earmuffs would be needed.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Re "black frosts" - the sort of thing I saw in Chicago when intensely cold Canadian air would follow a frontal passage. Its dryness would quickly remove any whiteness from snow or rain residues and there would remain very cold clear air, deceptive for those not used to it - any breeze at all and earmuffs would be needed.
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

hi
had our first frost on the grass here this morning (and our elderly neighbour said first time she has seen one here) even though air temperature still only 4oC, and 4 kts of breeze...
(clear skies all night this time)......people in auckland i hear have been amazed to see frost on things outside....this morning..reports of black ice on the roads in Tuakau
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

We have had an 11.8° frost this morning and I have a current reading of
-6°. Very cold though it is clear and will be sunny.
tich

Unread post by tich »

-1C maximum in Alexandra today, according to TV1 Weather. Andy, do you what's the lowest recorded maximum there?

Probably no frost in Chch tonight, as it has clouded over - even some slight drizzle around 7pm in the central city.
Gary Roberts

tich wrote:-1C maximum in Alexandra today, according to TV1 Weather. Andy, do you what's the lowest recorded maximum there?

Probably no frost in Chch tonight, as it has clouded over - even some slight drizzle around 7pm in the central city.
I suspected Alex would get colder than the temps reported from there this winter. Maybe it's a trick of the local topography which keeps it from getting as cold as it gets hot.

The high yesterday for Omarama was -3.2°...I doubt whether this is a record, but without access to Tara Hills data it's hard to know. This is why it's so inconvenient and inconsiderate of RWood to go galivanting off to South America.
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Quite interesting that cloud was only reaching about near me then petering out then when the sun went down it was petering out about 5 minutes west of here.
Some clear sky here in places though tich id be going for a -3C frost here parhaps.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Jasestrm wrote:Quite interesting that cloud was only reaching about near me then petering out then when the sun went down it was petering out about 5 minutes west of here.
Some clear sky here in places though tich id be going for a -3C frost here parhaps.
Cheers
Jason.
yeah well the cloud has rolled in.i have to say it has been very cold today espcailly with that wind around that cold NE really took affect anyhow they are expecting to go down to -2 tonight by the feel of the winds out there now i wouldnt be surprised if the wind chill was that now ;)

cheers
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Gary Roberts

Down to -12.7° at 05:57, with fog.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Gary Roberts wrote:
tich wrote:-1C maximum in Alexandra today, according to TV1 Weather. Andy, do you what's the lowest recorded maximum there?

I suspected Alex would get colder than the temps reported from there this winter. Maybe it's a trick of the local topography which keeps it from getting as cold as it gets hot.

The high yesterday for Omarama was -3.2°...I doubt whether this is a record, but without access to Tara Hills data it's hard to know. This is why it's so inconvenient and inconsiderate of RWood to go galivanting off to South America.
I will see what i can found.

Rwood i suspect may have the answers....
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Gary Roberts wrote:Down to -12.7° at 05:57, with fog.
Warm here in compared Gary.

Temp -6° and fog :)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Gary Roberts wrote:

From the gallivanter: it's not a record. In taht other post about 1968 I recall the high one day in July 1968 at Tara Hills was only 20F, which is colder.

It's 30C near Brasilia today.
Gary Roberts

RWood wrote:
Gary Roberts wrote:The high yesterday for Omarama was -3.2°...I doubt whether this is a record, but without access to Tara Hills data it's hard to know. This is why it's so inconvenient and inconsiderate of RWood to go galivanting off to South America.
From the gallivanter: it's not a record. In taht other post about 1968 I recall the high one day in July 1968 at Tara Hills was only 20F, which is colder.

It's 30C near Brasilia today.
Stone the flamin' crows, mate! That's -6.666666667° C! :shock: