Funnel Cloud Story - Southland Times

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Funnel Cloud Story - Southland Times

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Interesting story in the Southland Times about a funnel cloud that was seen and photographed on Christmas Eve. Here is the link

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/southlandt ... 68,00.html

It doesn't look like it was touching the ground in the photo but there seems to be some confusion in the minds of the locals whether it was a tornado.

No damage was reported but it looks like it is in an open area away from buildings etc.
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Cool report Jeff. Thanks for putting it up!

I notice on your site you have various links going off to reports on the stuff website, have you subscribed to some sort of weather thing with the stuff.co.nz website, how do I do it if so?

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

Hi Aaron,

I just search for weather related stuff (excuse the pun) on the site. I normally start with weather then rain, wind, storm and so forth. Unfortunately, the links are only good for about 60 days.
I don't copy the story to my site as that may have copyright problems.

NZ Herald links are good as they remain unchanged for months but I suppose at some stage there will be a site rebuild there and all the indexes will change.

There are times of the year when weather related news is hard to come by but with the dry conditions over the past month, there's no shortage of news about dry conditions.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Thanks Jeff for that interesting story from the Southland times. Funnel clouds over land in NZ are rare and it's great to see such a good photo of one. It's likely the Funnel cloud did not become a Tornado but it is still a very interesting occurence. I'm told Funnel clouds are occasionally seen over the Hauraki Gulf near Auckland during the summer months and develop out of tall Cumulus clouds but I've never seen one. The Gore Funnel cloud looks to have developed out of Cb.
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Yes We did have CB's around in the Gore area on Christmas Eve
Thunder

Unread post by Thunder »

Thanks Jeff. I went ahead and saved the picture and story so its on hand. An email to the stuff website might be in order if I ever decided to put it on the net.

Cheers
Aaron Wilkinson