Unstable day over the far North

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
squid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

it must be the summer thunderstorms that make the rainfall higher in central northland than other places in northland
check out our online shop

www.delicatedelights.com.au
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Yep GBI cops the easterly quarter in a similar manner to East Cape, but also gets plenty from the west quarter so best of both worlds if you like rain

Thanks for the stats, they've had a lot in the past week thats for sure, but some lovely weather too...especially when you wake up to views accross Little Barrier and the calls of Kaka chasing a dolphin pod in the bay.

Paradise.
Christchurch Rocks
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

It's also in such a great position for where the sub-tropic jet likes to run down often when we get lows bearing down and across.

Central Northland would be getting most of it's rain from it's orographic effects.. quite like Mamaku Village. (though not as high..)
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

I admit that I don't know why rainfall around Waihi - even close to the coast there - is quite so high (2000+ mm) - above that of places along the eastern Coromandel coasts where the hills seem to be closer - eg Tairua.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Today the weather has reached its nadir :-({|=
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

After a dull start to the month things have improved here - but we have a bit of ctaching up to do. Brilliantly clear at present with odd pulse of "NW" wind in my area.
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

That catching up should happen...doesnt look like any change for ages.Here it looks like it will be less sunnier than June or July
RWood wrote:After a dull start to the month things have improved here - but we have a bit of ctaching up to do. Brilliantly clear at present with odd pulse of "NW" wind in my area.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

I admit that I don't know why rainfall around Waihi - even close to the coast there - is quite so high (2000+ mm)
I think there is a lot of orographic as well as convective enhancement of rainfall in the Waihi area. The town is about 10km inland which puts it into the higher rainfall belt that runs down the Coromandal to Kaimai ranges. Golden Cross (2638mm) is nearby.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Thanks for that, interesting. On the one really fine day in a rain-plagued visit a few years ago we drove the round trip of the peninsula. Sun was shining most of the time, but the soil would have been damp after heavy rain on the previous day. Each time the road turned closer the the central axis you could see some cloudiness around it, albeit harmless in nature.
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

I would assume Waihi would catch a lot of the northwesterly rain, where Tairua and Tauranga would normally see less, due to a 'vacancy' of mountains (where the Kaimai and Coromandel Ranges start) around the Karangahape Gorge from Paeroa.

Could be a factor?
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

The stretch of coast from Whitianga to Whakatane has a great climate by NZ standards, one of the sunniest parts of NZ, a mild winter and the weather is occasionally interesting.
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Good point about the "vacancy", Foggy.

The coastal sunniness from Tauranga eastwards is well documented but I wouldn't be so sure about the rest - records near Waihi weren't that startling, and there's no data for the rest of Coromandel...

Had to look up the location of Mamaku :oops: - rusty geography
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

Winds here now risen to Gale Force :-({|=
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Michael wrote:Winds here now risen to Gale Force :-({|=
Stop that Michael [-X

I'm not allowed to complain about the surplus of thunderstorms that Auckland/Hamilton get as I was elected a moderator on this forum, so you can't complain about the SW rising to gale force, sorry :)

JohnGaul
NZTS

Flutterbye

Unread post by Flutterbye »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:
Michael wrote:Winds here now risen to Gale Force :-({|=
Stop that Michael [-X

I'm not allowed to complain about the surplus of thunderstorms that Auckland/Hamilton get as I was elected a moderator on this forum, so you can't complain about the SW rising to gale force, sorry :)

JohnGaul
NZTS

:lol: :lol: :lol: