Holiday Weather

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

I turned off statehighway one on Saturday afternoon and drove inland to check out a fire in the Selwyn riverbed,the temperature was nowhere near 39 degrees,the highest i recorded was 35 degrees near Hororata,then I went home via the Rakaia gorge to Ashburton.
Maybe Darfields temp recordings are 3-4 degrees off the mark??.

Much cooler today,dropped to around 23 this afternoon with a slight southerly wind.

Cheers.
jeffsweather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jeffsweather »

As Tony mentions, things now are not as they were in 1973.
There was an interesting thread about the UK Met Office changing from traditional Stevenson screens to modern plastic screens of different design.
In a paper from the WMO condensed here:
http://www.knmi.nl/~meulenvd/wmo/TECO1998/tc98temp.pdf

It showed that using a plastic screen as a reference, at times a traditional Stevenson screen could be up to 1.7 degrees warmer in the same conditions.

This lead to a discussion on the uk.sci.weather news group as to how this affects the long term averages when equipment is updated.
You can read the thread on Google groups here:
http://tinyurl.com/2qrvq

I'm thinking of putting small fans on my temperature sensors to see if I can get over the hot, still day problem.
Not sure if I will run them all the time or just when the wind speed is low.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

If 41 degrees was recorded at Darfield on friday I would have expected many more stations down there to come in with similar readings on that day.Other stations got to the mid thirties. The step from 36 degrees to 41 degrees is enormous.
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

maybe we can blame global warming on the new electronic sensor and their housing?

i have a double louvered marine stevenson screen, kindly dontated by the met service (as they get my data)
:) ;)
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

All my readings are done in a Stevenson's screen using a Sixes thermometer. It's a bit dilapidated though and the door fell off when I was away in Upper Hutt. I have another S. Screen ex Parapapaumu airport which I hope to erect sometime.
This type of recording is quite simple but I find it quite accurate :)

JohnGaul
NZTS
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

I use a Stevenson Screen as well. It turns 30 years of age this year and has survived numerous shifts around New Zealand. Standard pattern meteorological thermometers are used as well. Currently temp is 22 degrees with 68 % humidity and a gusty westerly wind averaging 25 kts. No rain with the front.
Dean.

Unread post by Dean. »

The heat dial has been turned up again this afternoon,currently over 30 degrees again with a haze of smoke drifting from the west,in a moderate northwesterly wind.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

There is the chance of afternoon thunderstorms over inland Southland, Otago, South Canterbury tomorrow.

Surface winds should turn onshore tomorrow(NE) which will take moisture inland. Daytime heating and possible convergence will
encourage cb development.

Have to check the stability of the air again tomorrow but it was looking
a tad unstable today.

:)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

yes nice sunny weather in Wanganui and Wellington where I went A light westerly/northerly breeze in the day but not too hot but hot inland when driving on New Years Day ;) Not as hot today though
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The thunder risk down south looks less likely this morning.
Thats the fical world of the the ts for you.

The NZ herald yesterday did a survey of Auckland temperatures using a "Dick Smiths Dual temp alert thermometer" and recorded 42.7C at Westmere, central Auckland. There you go....Auckland has beaten Darfield. :)
tich

Unread post by tich »

I opened the curtains this morning and surprise - it was raining. Only lightly, and it soon ceased, but the forecast for Canterbury has been upgraded to predict some rain for this afternoon. We haven't had decent rain since late November in Chch.

Speaking of record temperatures, I can't understand why Darfield would get a maximum 5C higher than other Canterbury Plains stations. It's not in a basin. One area which I would imagine getting very high maximums would be the Culverden basin in North Canterbury - a fair distance from the sea, separated from the coast by extensive hill country, as well being subject (like the Canty Plains) to the warming effects of northwest airflows crossing the western ranges. Are there any known weather stations in or near Culverden? It's worth noting that Hanmer (also in a basin, yet higher and closer to the mountains) has had consecutive 3 days with a 34C maximum lately.

BTW, just before Xmas, there was still a significant patchy snow cover on the mountains. Yesterday, as I was crossing from Akaroa to Chch, I could see only 1 small patch on a high peak of the Torlesse Range.
Last edited by tich on Tue 06/01/2004 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
tich

Unread post by tich »

It's worth noting that Hanmer (also in a basin, yet higher and closer to the mountains) has had consecutive 3 days with a 34C maximum lately.
According to TV1 Weather I forgot to add.

I've just had a look at the 7AM radar - seems to be quite a bit more rain in North Canterbury.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

tich wrote:but the forecast for Canterbury has been upgraded to predict some rain
Mmm, same for Dunedin. I woke to a cloud base of about 300m and drizzle. I was planning to cut the lawns this morning after listening to Karen last night :(
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

NIWA have revised the Darfield temperature down to 38.4C.

Details here

http://www.niwa.co.nz/pubs/mr/archive/2004-01-03-1
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

The scrub fires and heatwave in Canterbury made it onto ABC TV news last night(Australia).

Looks a cloudy and cool day in the south today but Thursday's NW'ester is looking very hot with 850HPA temps forecast to be 20C. That can translate to temps mid 30's on the surface.

Doesn't look like cb's will fire down south today. Temperature of 21C would have triggered convection. But looking very cloudy with temps of 15-16C in east Otago. Alot cooler than I had expected.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

NZstorm wrote:NIWA have revised the Darfield temperature down to 38.4C.

Details here

http://www.niwa.co.nz/pubs/mr/archive/2004-01-03-1
Yes, thats more like it. Fits much better with the other obs that day. It would be interesting to hear an explanation of how they got 41 in the first place, and how they decided toi revise it to 38.4.
Chris Raine

Unread post by Chris Raine »

Lots of TCu in Southland today but no obvious Cb's . Cu became Ac Cugen at about 10000 ft.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

Ended up with 4mm of drizzle, then light rain today, coming in on the North Easterly. Climbed only to 13.7C and that was just after 6pm.

Slight contrast to my 30.7C three days ago.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

There will be some big falls of rain on the West Coast today. The Front crossing the area looks very active.