Remembering our weather!!!

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Remembering our weather!!!

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Perhaps we should put all the major Topics on bad weather that affected people' lives or property and became a weather event to be rememberd in histroy.
Like for example the 12th of June snowfall Topic would be one to remember and perhaps the best thunderstorms around NZ etc.
So that we can acess historical weather Topics with a click of a mouse and not riffling through all the forum pages to find one particular event.
Forum Admins what are your thougts on this and others? 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

That's not a silly idea.

For me it would be the May 18th 2005 event when Tauranga and Matata were flooded.

Others will have their own events to remember.
Storm Struck

Hmm everyone is staying quiet about this one I thought it was a good idea surly :roll: 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

It is a good idea, but then people have tho think to what was for them an event that figured in their lives.
Mine was Labour WE in 2002 when I video filmed that tormado funnel near TaiTapu/Halswell

JohnGaul
NZTS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

Jasestrm wrote:Hmm everyone is staying quiet about this one I thought it was a good idea surly :roll: 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
I think it's a good idea too, Jasestrm, but I'm quite cheerful about it :P

I have an oddish angle on a well-known event - the Wahine [Giselle] storm and sinking of the ferry. We were living in Chicago at the time and saw a very small item in a local paper. The description was so short and cryptic that we just couldn't believe that the sinking mentioned was true - thought they must have been referring to some small vessel (the ship wasn't named).

It was quite a shock to hear the story in proper detail a few days later.

Chicago had an interesting climate, I thought - but that's for some other time and other thread.
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

Yes I can remember countless days of wind and rain but i can remember the Wahine day,taken to a friends house in the same st as the school and skidding in the wet corridors ;)
Storm Struck

If every one puts down a weather event thats on this forum since it started in 2003.
Infact why not make that whole topic on historical weather then we can also post about big hisorical weather events in NZ like the Wahine as R wood mentioned above.
Cheers
Jason.
NZ Thunderstorm Soc

Unread post by NZ Thunderstorm Soc »

Jasestrm wrote:If every one puts down a weather event thats on this forum since it started in 2003.
Infact why not make that whole topic on historical weather then we can also post about big hisorical weather events in NZ like the Wahine as R wood mentioned above.
Cheers
Jason.
Good idea.
..and Jason, could you spell Waimamkakriri correctly otherwize bevcause of thje mispelling, it may you look like a bit of a full :roll:

JohnGaul
NZTS
RWood

Unread post by RWood »

While we're on the subject of spelling, did anyone get my joke about the "surly"?
Storm Struck

Yes John I was actually meant to change that at some stage I was reading something in the northern outlook the other day and noticed how Waimakariri was spelt. Spelt correctly there by the way 8) .
I should know better considering I am a writer well I like to write books will have my first all coverd and paged soon. :D
Cheers
Jason.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

NZ Thunderstorm Soc wrote:It is a good idea, but then people have tho think to what was for them an event that figured in their lives.
Mine was Labour WE in 2002 when I video filmed that tormado funnel near TaiTapu/Halswell

JohnGaul
NZTS

hmmm Id have to agree there John i remember that day clearly and how fun and exciting it was too. boy oh boy. that has to be one of my favourites to :D , however the 19th sept snow fall would be another weather event id pick as all time greats.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz