Auckland temp forecast glitch?

Archive of General Weather
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Willoughby
Site Admin

Auckland temp forecast glitch?

Unread post by Willoughby »

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but a lot of the time MetService's forecasts have Auckland's max temp. for a day, two days out too cool. Why don't they do anything about this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

That problem has been ongoing for years.

Forecast max and min temperatures are computer generated.
They frequently don't look right to me. For instance, last nights forecast min temp for Auckland was 14C. Actual minimum was 18C. ;)
Gary Roberts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Auckland temp forecast glitch?

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Foggy Hamilton wrote:I don't know if this has been discussed before, but a lot of the time MetService's forecasts have Auckland's max temp. for a day, two days out too cool. Why don't they do anything about this?
I suspect that having a reading from the windy airport drives their averages down unrealistically. But it's even worse down here: they lump us in with coastal areas such as Oamaru and Timaru, which are regularly hit by maritime weather. To hear a so-called professional weather person quoting the met service and describing our area's temperature as a "blistering 27 degrees!", when it has in fact been 34+ in the shade, is a little disconcerting!

:-)
Michael

Unread post by Michael »

The temps they give 2 days out is near correct should we get a SW gale but 17 is a bit low for January ;)
Gary Roberts
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Gary Roberts »

Michael wrote:The temps they give 2 days out is near correct should we get a SW gale but 17 is a bit low for January ;)
I just viewed your forum profile Michael. Your "interests" suggest that perhaps you should move down this way!

:-)
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

A very cold southerly will still give 20-21C for Auckland at this time of year. Some years ago I remember a January day of only 18C but that was a freak caused by overcast cold conditions with persistent rain. (no sun).
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

NZstorm wrote:A very cold southerly will still give 20-21C for Auckland at this time of year. Some years ago I remember a January day of only 18C but that was a freak caused by overcast cold conditions with persistent rain. (no sun).
The thing is, the always do that...
Here in Hamilton, the temp forecasts are usually pretty accurate, although around now and feb, actual temps are usually higher.