West or northwest gales 19th October

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

In the paper this morning they had about the winds yesterday with the heading 140kmh winds in Canterbury. Although interesting with wind gusts of that speed it seems strange because often there would be much stronger gusts here and they only were gusting 50-60kmh.
Although this is much different to windstorms that we often get as these winds are blustery all over the place and can happen at different times of the day. A windstorm slams gusts within an hour usually as I like to call it 3 different belts of wind getting stronger each time. This is then usually followed by breif rain then a more calmer W wind.
The last few weeks have been gusts all over the show so I guess that's why it seems not much.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Manukau heads obs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

i remember reading an interesting article (while i was at lincoln) about weed (from windblown seeds) belts across the canterbury plains.........i.e the up/down nature of the wind in waves coming off the alps ,...the down part occurs more often that not in similar belts across the plains...i.e some areas will be more often in that down (strong winds) that in the up part (ligther winds)....
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Fujita Phil
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

I've said my 2 cents about those wind readings in Dunedin...so I won't add another 2. But what street is this station in? I wouldn't mind taking my handheld anemometer for a spin... pun intended
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.