Extreme Warmth possible from Friday 13th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Michael
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Michael »

This week up here was a ripoff.None of the maximums reached the expected by metservice
Manukau heads obs
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

ah, yes, albatros.....ok, still been there, LOL...also been to the gannet colony out from Napier (hence my confusion)...another windsy spot, that point
Last edited by Manukau heads obs on Sun 15/10/2006 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Westerly here sure is strong at times glad I planted my tomato plants yesterday that are shelterd from the NW winds.
As usual Labour wekend is looking rough for the south island with MSLP and GFS showing a deep low off the west coast slowly crossing the south island.
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
borris89
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by borris89 »

wind has really picked up here in the Bay now. here are some pics to give you an idea of the dust thats getting picked up, i cant go outside for too long or my eyes get sore lol!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fujita Phil

Unread post by Fujita Phil »

TonyT wrote:
Fujita Phil wrote:Sorry still don't believe those winds are 150kph. That would be doing windspread damage over Dunedin. Down the pennisula Tairoa Heads are average about 100kph
If you check the site you will see the peak gust was 140kmh. A gust of that speed is plausible with a mean speed of 100kmh.
Of course, but we are talking about the end of a 20km geographical feature, no more than about 3km wide that compresses the wind into faster speeds. That reading in Tainui is at the beginning of the Pennisula, not the end.

Anyhoo... I just hate readings that maybe inaccurate, kinda like the thermometer on a concrete wall in Summer. If it was that speed, superb 8)

Sounds like we might get another chance to record some more high speeds at the end of the week.
There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.
Razor

Unread post by Razor »

Well a week ago I was walking accross the Kaweka Range in the teeth of that gale and it was the strongest wind I've ever walked in. In fact it blew us off the tops as we feared for our safety, unable to stand up without blowing over on the main range at 1700m altitude. I've expereicned 160km wind in Wellington, this was much stronger.
Christchurch Rocks