Strong Cold Front, 27th-29th

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
dazza99
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Eastbourne Thunderstorm

Unread post by dazza99 »

A fairly strong thunderstorm has passed just to the east of us, headed north. Great loud rolling thunder , from lightining every 2 minutes or so.
Wildland

Unread post by Wildland »

An impressive and noisy thunderstorm which ran between 29/2355 and 30/0045 would have woken a few people up.
Here at Tawa we had plenty of lightning with some thunderclaps rattling the roofing iron. Hail clattered against north facing windows for a while and short bursts of rain brought another 3 mm of rain.

Thor was in a party mood.... :)
03Stormchaser

Unread post by 03Stormchaser »

Aaron J Wilkinson wrote:Just been driving home from my mums and the sky to the S or SW lit up with a bolt in there somewhere. Got back home and then saw another flash to the south. Not very frequent but associated with that cold front to come up overnight by the looks, was cool to see!

Hopefully something more? We'll see.

Cheers
Cool to hear! :) about 16mm so far this morning, cold blustry southerly out there now.
NZ Largest Storm Chasing Facebook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/nzstormchasers
NZ Largest Storm Chase Community https://www.facebook.com/groups/NZStormchasersGroup
NZ Stormchasers TV https://www.youtube.com/@NZStormchasers
Manukau heads obs

Unread post by Manukau heads obs »

had no power here for 6 hours from 3:30 am
gusting to 45 to 49 knots in exposed places on the coast heer
(40 kt gusts here at our house)
A typical WSW blow for this time of year 8)
Last edited by Manukau heads obs on Mon 30/10/2006 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Hamilton, weather enthusiast. My weather dataEmail: [email protected]
sw_windbow

Unread post by sw_windbow »

We had a very satisfying piece of rain last night, altogether from 6pm yesterday to 9am today about 21mm landed. May not seem a lot to people in the soggy north, but its almost the same amount of rainfall for the previous 29 days of October, which had 23mm.
Andy

Unread post by Andy »

Yes still dry here but a well needed 11mm fell here, mostly in the early hrs this morning. :D
sw_windbow

Unread post by sw_windbow »

sw_windbow wrote:We had a very satisfying piece of rain last night, altogether from 6pm yesterday to 9am today about 21mm landed. May not seem a lot to people in the soggy north, but its almost the same amount of rainfall for the previous 29 days of October, which had 23mm.
I just realised that I compared Dunedin Airport's rainfall with Otago Uni's above which is like comparing an apple with a duck. But the point remains, last night's rain was a mini drought breaker. Still some good showers blowing through.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Cold southerly gales and driving rain (with a little hail midmorning) on Banks Peninsula overnight and up to late this morning. Gradually starting to ease, with fewer showers and wind gusts strong, no longer gale. No snow visible on hills.
huttcrazy

Unread post by huttcrazy »

Hi

About 20 or so flashes in Lower Hutt at about 12.15 last night. Lasted for about 1/2 hour or so. Experienced brief extremely hard rain but no hail. Closest strike was about 5 seconds delay away from my house in the Eastern `burbs.

Nice to have some fun weather, rather than just stinkin` rain!

Cheers

James
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

there was a thunderstorm out there somewhere i think aswel, just south of christchurch, as part of the cold front that was coming in late last night. heavy rain this morning though with high winds.
warmed up during the day though was quite nice :D
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Yes I did a quick check of the tracker before I went to bed and sure enough a strike had just shown up near birdlings flat then followed by another two close by. After that Things peterd out.
This morning Heavy rain started about 4am as winds got stronger possibly the strongest at around late morning with certainly some gales in there dont know how strong it got but I would say BP would have got some severe gale force winds.
8.5mm in the gauge from this event and yes the rain gauge is fixed now :D.
Time for hybernation for awhile until following Monday as weather is going to be rather calm :cry: .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms