Possible thunderstorms Canty 27th and 29th Dec!!!

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Storm Struck

Unread post by Storm Struck »

Interesting how there is low cloud out your way because it's all blue sky and weak CU about here and I can see the CB clearly.
I would think the low cloud is being sucked into the CB because of the moisture falling from it it's kind of attracting it.
Hasn't come to much though radars don't show very much precipitation from it as of 5pm and the lightning has stopped from it too because it is lacking the southerly wind.
I think tonight we are going to have to watch for could be quite a storm seems to be quite abit of precipitation in south Canterbury and the southerly hasn't even hit Timaru yet don't even think it's hit Dunedin either? :? .
Cheers
Jason.
Canterbury, home of good rugby and severe storms
Storm Struck

Saferics are non stop :D i think there must be a few cells one near Ashburton and one just north of Timaru inspite the tracker ranging it wrong. 8)
Cheers
Jason.
tich

Unread post by tich »

Had a few spits out near Akaroa just after 6pm from cloud coming in from the west, but otherwise it's still mostly sunny here.
mikestormchaser

Unread post by mikestormchaser »

Well this is about the 4th time iv posted up today :lol: so ill make this my last one unless something pops up thunder wise :lol:...
Wasn't a too bad day really with some chance at least my risk limit would be at a moderate risk with still a good 50/50 chance later tonight.
But we shell see.
Mike
Stormchasers.co.nz
Storm Struck

Well yet another dud storm day :( however resulting in some nice pics again :D unless something happens overnight.
I see on the news weather tonight it said rain tomorrow with heavy falls and thunderstorms with possible hail and SW winds gusting 100kmh :shock: 8) .
Wouldn't surprise me though as this low has the potential to deliver anything.
Here are todays best shots and with that impressive towering CU from the CB at 4pm this afternoon :D :D .
EDIT.. 2 hours later- There was a nice storm just off the coast to the east in Pegausus Bay in the last hour with some nice flashes visable here and even a distant boom of thunder 8) .
Cheers
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Well yet another dud storm day
There looked to be a very nice storm mid Canterbury late afternoon, crossed the Ashburton area from the west and moved out to sea.

Thanks for the pics Jasestrm, would love to see some landscape in your cloud photo's, gives some scale to the clouds in the photo.
Look at the Dunedin Cb photo, has a nice feel of cloud size and distance.
TonyT

Unread post by TonyT »

Nice wee storm went sailing up the coast past here around midnight, flashing every 20 secs or so, mostly in-cloud, but some nice forks visible also.
squid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by squid »

Glad to see that you are finally getting some storms :)
check out our online shop

www.delicatedelights.com.au
Skywatcher
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Skywatcher »

Went chasing after work but by the time I got nearer the Ashburton storm, it was already too far east and then missed the ChCh storm in the process :roll:

At about 8pm I went out to Leeston and there was a less active Cb there. Not ideal conditions with very heavy bursts of rain and some 5-10mm hail. Stopped near Lake Ellesmere and saw some infrequent IC lightning overhead but the sky was too bright to photograph it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Storm Struck

Just another pic of the CB thunderstorm over chch on friday from a zoomed out shot there ya go SP ;) :D .
Cheers
Jason.