Storms to herald in '07, Upper NI.

Archive of NZ Weather & Climate
Forum rules
These topics are a read-only archive and may be subject to out-of-date information.

For today's weather discussion head to: New Zealand Weather & Climate
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

Lots of upper level shear evident...

Yes, gary but it was probably also ranging the storms across the Kaimai's a little short too. ;)
kaimaikid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by kaimaikid »

Foggy Hamilton wrote: Yes, gary but it was probably also ranging the storms across the Kaimai's a little short too. ;)
errr - from what I could see possibly a tad too far - remember that my persistance was set to 30mins - not that it made much odds though as it tracked the main part of the storm between the Kaimais and the coast where it was, however there was CN's coming over the Kaimais all fired up too...

I have still a lot of playing to do on the ranging ;)
tgsnoopy

Unread post by tgsnoopy »

For those of you not from the Tauranga area, Baldie that Gary (KaimaiKid) mentions earlier is actually Mount Kopukairua, the main radio Site for the greater Tauranga area. The Main cell travelled directly overhead and we had a nice 360° view as it passed over. I needed to check on a cooling fan I replaced a few days earlier so we took that reason to watch from up there.

Nothing like sheltering beside a likely lightning target (48m steel lattice tower) during a storm ;)

Now if I could just find the USB lead for my camera (I think I left it at work - again :roll: ).

Three days of storms in a row... Can we make it four? :D
spwill

Unread post by spwill »

Three days of storms in a row... Can we make it four?
The Thunderstorms from this weather system started in the deep south on the 27th Dec and many parts of NZ have had thunder from it as it moved slowly north. Can still see distant thundery cloud tops out to the NE this morn from the departing trough.
NZstorm

Unread post by NZstorm »

Yes, was an interesting system to follow.
:D
Willoughby
Site Admin

Unread post by Willoughby »

A beautiful day here, mostly sunny and 21C/DP 8C :D

Looks like we may get some warm-air thunderstorms this time next week under a northerly airflow with a low developing down from east of the Coral Sea. :)

What the public forget is that NZ does have a very rewarding climate on days like this. 8)